The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Brand new and don't have a clue (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12~13 [Next]
michaelmagicart
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of michaelmagicart
I am just glad that forums like this did not exist when the following ladies first got into magic. I wonder how many of you would have attacked them in the same way when they were younger and if they had posted a “hot avatar”?

Maria Ibáñez: International President Society of American Magicians
JoanCaesar: President International Brotherhood of Magicians
Debbie Leifer: Named 2006 Greater Atlanta Magician of the Year.
Celeste Evans: 50 Years in Magic and representative for both the State Department and the UN.
June Horowitz: Past International President International Brotherhood of Magicians

I wonder how many here even begin to approach the credentials these ladies have? I know I don’t, but I certainly respect them. It hasn’t always been easy for them. I remember when S.A.M did not allow women as members. In fact it was a good friend of mine who became the first lady member of S.A.M. The membership committee thought she was a man because of her name and “accidentally” admitted her. Boy did that open a can of worms and set a legal precedent.
Quote:

On 2008-09-01 16:38, silverking wrote:
I don't buy this thread, or "jewels" for a New York minute.

A “New York Minute” seems to indicate you were in a “rush” to make a judgment.

Enough said.
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2008-09-04 21:20, Michaelmagicart wrote:

No I am not 12; I was serving in Viet Nam, with 5 years in the military, when you were probably in grade school.

SNAP!
Dante_Ravenkin
View Profile
New user
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
90 Posts

Profile of Dante_Ravenkin
I haven't really been following this thread like some others, but why the hostility? I saw something about someone saying Juliana is actually a man? Would it matter? What if she was transgendered? I don't recall seeing her say "Hey so-and-so, why don't we hook up?" I saw some intelligent conversation from people trying to help, get highjacked by people who care too much about the *** internet. There's a word for people like that: Troll. (Oftentimes in looks as well as title!) Relax people. Help whoever asks for help. If Juliana is here looking for advice, don't be an asshat. Give some advice. It's the kind of thing that helps grow our magical community!

Anyways, back to your regularly scheduled forum....
'For Those Who Believe, No Explanation is Necessary. For Those Who Do Not, None Will Suffice.' - Joseph Dunninger

~Kirk~
Julianna
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Julianna
Hi everyone,

took me awhile to get on, I had so much homework, not much time for anything else.

Steve I read your post about my uncle and I will talk to him tomorrow about your idea. Just having him write in wouldn't be enough proof though. He was one of a few who warned me about the Café. even though he pointed me this way. He warned me about posting a photo. I don't think he would want to get involved with this anyway.

I usually don't care what people think or say, But I feel that I should clear things up for everyone here. especially for the people who have helped me so much. I think you guys deserve it!

I will show you that I am who I say I am as soon as I can. if I can get it done this weekend I will, if not hopefully by next weekend.

after the proof I will wait n see if the guys that accused me will swallow their pride, stand up and give me and everyone else here a WELL DESERVED APOLOGY!

gotta tell you though- Scoty is not a bad guy, he is just concerned for some of you he says he likes a lot. they say you never stop learning, at least that's what my mom always tells me. LOL! Scoty you are about to learn a life lesson. sounds kinda crazy coming from blonde teenager.

gotta go to sleep Smile
I love that smiley
jewels
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:
On 2008-09-04 23:22, Julianna wrote:
Steve I read your post about my uncle and I will talk to him tomorrow about your idea. Just having him write in wouldn't be enough proof though. He was one of a few who warned me about the Café. even though he pointed me this way. He warned me about posting a photo. I don't think he would want to get involved with this anyway.

Have your Uncle PM me and I'll send him my phone number. Then we can talk at his discretion.

Steven Youell
molsen
View Profile
Special user
Copenhagen
552 Posts

Profile of molsen
...and then nothing??!?!!

* How is Julianna getting on with the memorized stack?
* Did the uncle contact Steve?
* Are magicians really more gullible than leity?
* Do you have to be a girl to get help around here?
* Is molsen really a female cowardly disguising as a guy?

To find out more, tune in to next weeks episode of the Magic Café Reality Show!

'Michelle'

Seriously though, if someone feels that misrepresenting gender on-line is a big deal, they are thinking with their smallest head. Enthusiasm for a beginner taking their first steps in magic shouldn't depend on that.
scody
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of scody
Of course it shouldn't...
I imagine though, that if this series of posts was as I expect, this wasn't about a beginner pretending he was a girl so that he could learn faster.

It's very clear to me (and that is sort of a guess) that this person knows quite a bit about magic. So, and again, I am guessing, the disengenuous behaviour is more about pulling a prank on some very cool people.

Playing a different gender a big deal? no way. Scamming a bunch of cool dudes as a game? Well... that would be a big deal.

I imagine the speed by which this post was dropped after there was failed proof, and the lack of posts by the perpetrator after it had been dropped, might indicate some truth to my accusations.
Julianna
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Julianna
Hi Molsen n Scody-

I haven't been on in a while because of school and homework. Thought it would be easier in my final year. oh well! haven't had much time for anything else either. on top of that, our basement flooded this weekend and we had to throw out a lot of things. the streets were flooded so bad school was cancelled.

scody, at least the tone of ur posts have changed for the better. I'm not sure why this interests you so much, maybe in some weird way you miss me. I'm hoping to have the proof by this weekend. After the proof, I doubt I will ever be ur friend. Sorry but you've made it too weird.

Talk again soon,
jp
Julianna
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Julianna
O.K. here is a couple of videos. they r really bad but that's not the point now is it. everyone has read the posts from scody and others that it is not me. they have bullied me to no end and said some really awful things about me.

I hope this proves to all who I am.

Scody you are a RECKLESS BULLY quick to judge others. this should make you look deeply into the mirror to judge yourself. As quickly as the fun came to me with magic, you were able to just as quickly take the fun out of it for me. I hope you never do this to anyone ever again.

This has been ONE of YOUR LIFE LESSONS. I say one because I'm sure with the way you are there have been some in the past and most likely will be more in the future. try to CONTROL YOURSELF in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSCqsjWRy_U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0MnOU9JFL8

I will say more later,
jewels
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Way to go, Jewels, that's showing them!
And by the way, just because these guys are here, have a number of posts, and occassionally give an answer, don't believe they are all magicians!
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
michaelmagicart
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Thumbs up jewels!! As my Grandmother used to say you have "TRUE GRIT"! I sincerely
hope your enthusium has not been diminished by some of the things that were said to you in this thread. Keep up the good work. Magic needs more young ladies like yourself.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Really, who cares what she/he is. Are we not here to help one another? If she/he wants to be a magician who are we to say that because she/he uses a psuedenon(sp} does not want to learn.

MAN! I got tired of typing she/he. Smile
Magic is a vanishing art.
rorythegreat
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, WA
393 Posts

Profile of rorythegreat
LOL, the end of the second video was pretty funny! BTW, nice job Jewels.
a brown 1968
View Profile
Elite user
446 Posts

Profile of a brown 1968
I beleive that is GAME !! SET and MATCH to Julianna

Of course the HE brigade could say that HE , managed to find the actress whose picture HE uploaded on to the forum and the HE , hired the actress (SHE) for the weekend , HE spent a day training SHE in magic and then HE filmed SHE to continue this illusion .

I hope the HE/SHE term is banished now and people have the manners and use her name Jewels .

What an excellent start to my day Smile))
michaelmagicart
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

I don't believe the HE brigade can offer much but an apology to Jewels. It might take awhile, because at the moment they are to busy eating "crow". I personally would like to thank all of you in this thread that defended jewels. It shows you are true gentlemen of Magic.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Ms Jewels,

I'm proud of you!

I have continued correspondence with this wonderful young lady since early on for the simple reason that I never had any reason to doubt her!

IMO Julianna has displayed more courage and without a doubt more class than any of those who doubted her and certainly those who made fun of her and flat out accused her of being a liar and a fraud!

I have known about her continued study of magic and her desire to make these videos to prove that she is who she says. I told her that she didn't owe anyone anything yet she persevered and delivered! This alone tells me that she has what it takes to accomplish whatever she puts her mind too! IMO she has shown more true dedication than a large percentage of the wannabes that call themselves magicians around here!

I personally think that Julianna is a fine addition to the magic fraternity and as I said in the beginning of this post, I am dang proud of her for hanging in there!

It's not my place to name names or point fingers since those of you who gave her any grief KNOW who you are. Hopefully you can muster up half the courage she displays and apologize and welcome her to the fold! Who knows, you may someday get the chance to meet her in person and learn the next latest and greatest effect on the market that SHE created and was gracious enough to share with us all! Smile

Jewels, cheers to ya and I look forward to your continued contributions!

Mick
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Agree. We never know when and who the next rising star of magic is. Jewels shows great potential.
Marvelous_Mysto
View Profile
Regular user
Adelaide, Australia
143 Posts

Profile of Marvelous_Mysto
WooHoo! Way to go JP!

Regards
Baz
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Julianna
You have restored a synical old man's faith in human nature. I guess I watch too much TV about naughty people.
I APOLOGIZE
Al
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Sooner or later you will figure out who to listen to on this board and who not to. Steven is a good start. All the best with your learning.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Brand new and don't have a clue (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8~9~10~11~12~13 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL