The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Brand new and don't have a clue (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..11~12~13 [Next]
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Read Kent's post over and over.... take you time. Read, read, read.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Read Pete Biro's post and follow his advise.

You have someone who will provide you with personal instruction, and who offers good advise (there are hundreds of professional magicians who consider Royal Road to be their bible).

Don't spend much time reading and posting to magic boards. You already have the best resouces you are ready for... Don't rush. The world is full of crappy card trick boyz who rushed.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Julianna,

Welcome to the madness! Smile
Lotta good advise given here and as for my 2 centavos I'll simply agree with Kent and ditto what Mr Biro said! I may have started with RRTCM but quickly got obcessed with all the "Latest and Greatest" single trick, packet trick, gaffed this and gaffed that. A bunch of top cat teaching DVD's and a few so so books.
As time went on I found myself drawn back to RRTCM and some other classics and for the most part that is where I have been broadening my scope of card work. I do have a nice selection of DVD's and I am a bit more of a visual learner but I am spending more time reading in the past few months and I am picking up things I missed before!

It's nice to have your Uncle there to guide you as many of us don't have mentors near by. My Maestro lives in Manila and I'm in California! I also have what I call "Internet Mentors" who I feel confidant in feedback I get as well as the directions toward the research I need to do.

Take all of info given here, see what works for you. Study and practice. don't settle for so so presentation, work on it until it feels second nature but no matter what, HAVE FUN!
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Hello Julianna,

Welcome to the Café, and to Magic!

You have been given great advice already. So I will reiterate what has been said about performing.

Magic is first and foremost a performing art. Even if you are only doing your magic for relatives or friends, don't just "do" the effect, perform it! Mickey is correct when he says don't settle for so-so presentation. Even the "simplest" effect is like a play.

Something that no one has yet mentioned that will help your performance skills immensely is to get involved with live theatre. There are so many options out there to learn stagecraft for free. If you are still in middle or high school, get involved in productions. Audition for parts, but also do some tech work as well. It is always good to know both sides of the curtain. Learn about costuming, make-up, blocking, lighting. Because, even if you stick to doing close up magic only, you are still on a "stage". You can also get involved in community theatre productions, and if you are in university you can take some theatre classes.

Respect this ancient Art and put in the work, and the rewards you will receive in return will astound you!

Last bit of advice: Visit here as often as you can. You will get great advice from the best in the business.

Welcome again!

Vlad
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quote:
On 2008-08-10 21:45, Julianna wrote:
Patrick, the book only shows 1 way to do the trick how can I learn a different way? I'm gonna show my mom tomorrow, she knows I've spent most of the day working on it.

Julianna,
Please!
Don't rush things.

As Kent says:
"Do each trick over and over enough times that you're relaxed when you do it. Figure out what you want to say, during the trick, ahead of time. Then rehearse your words with what your hands are doing."

This should take more than a day.
If you want to show your uncle how serious you are then take your time.
I'm sure he will appreciate the time and effort you put into your magic.
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Don't worry about learning the different versions yet. I only mentioned that for something to do later.

Stick with the way you're doing it now for at least a long time. Then later (a while later...!!!), think about other methods.

Don't overload yourself with the "how-to" part of magic. That's the big mistake and messes up performance. Stick to learning one thing at a time until you get it right, and do it right and perform it right.

Then you'll be ready for the rest of the madness.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Julianna
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Julianna
Hey every1, got back from the pool awhile ago the weather is awesome. can't believe all the posts thanx for all the advice, not sure I understand all of it but will try. wanted to be here when my mom gets home from work so I can show her the trick, hope she likes it, I'm getting nervous just thinking about it and don't know why. I get butterflies sometimes when I dance on stage but this is different.

I'll write back and tell you how it went.

jewels
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of Open Traveller
Quote:
On 2008-08-10 18:05, garcia00 wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-08-10 17:29, Magiguy wrote:
Another small piece of advice... stick with books.

As a teacher, I would advise you to use the medium with which you learn best. A visual learner would benefit more from video or personal instruction.

Of the three learning modes; visual, auditory or kinesthetic; just which one would you think reading falls into?

For best results, a learner shouldn't fall wholesale into the mode in which she learns best. There has to be a demand on the learner, or it's just mimicking.
garcia00
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of garcia00
Quote:
On 2008-08-11 18:20, Open Traveller wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-08-10 18:05, garcia00 wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-08-10 17:29, Magiguy wrote:
Another small piece of advice... stick with books.

As a teacher, I would advise you to use the medium with which you learn best. A visual learner would benefit more from video or personal instruction.

Of the three learning modes; visual, auditory or kinesthetic; just which one would you think reading falls into?

For best results, a learner shouldn't fall wholesale into the mode in which she learns best. There has to be a demand on the learner, or it's just mimicking.

Reading falls into verbal, which you left out of your list. Reading is one of the most difficult methods for learning new fields, since vocabulary skills will be limited, which makes decoding unknown words more difficult. However, once the specialized vocabulary is learned, reading passes the highest information density.

So a new learner should choose the method which causes him/her the most difficulty? Guess that is the way to go to increase frustration and reduce the odds of success.

I have no idea what to make of the notion that knowledge is only worthwhile if hard to obtain.
Open Traveller
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of Open Traveller
No, a new learner shouldn't choose the method which causes the most difficulty; I didn't say that. What I said is that a learner shouldn't use only the mode that's most comfortable. That's a crippling strategy. One has to keep expanding the boundaries of the comfort zone, and you can't do that by staying in the comfort zone.

"Verbal" isn't a learning mode. It's a skillset. "Reading" is also a skillset. Of the three learning modes, which are the three I mentioned, which does reading fall into? Verbal falls into "auditory."
Julianna
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Julianna
I was so excited yesterday but couldn't get in to tell you guys.

this is oh so cool! It worked! she was shocked, you guys should've seen her face. She said she never expected anything like that. I told her that something really cool was going to happen if she did exactly what I did.

You guys are the best!

It's probably no big deal for you guys cause you're probably really good but it made my day. Can't wait to show my uncle tonight. Sorry but the only way I know of to learn right now is from this book.

edh, you say there are DVD's to see magic? Would it be good for me to see how other people do the tricks?

Patrick, I just noticed my private massage box, I will write back to you soon.

Jazz, sorry but I was just so excited I had to try it out.

Thanks Kent- sounds like most agree with you.

Hey Mickey, I did what you said, I had fun, (I usually have fun with everything I do though.

See ya!
Kaneda
View Profile
New user
Keithville, LA
81 Posts

Profile of Kaneda
Glad you had such a great time. Keep up the enthusiasm, and keep having fun it will take you far.
cinemagician
View Profile
Inner circle
Phila Metro Area
1094 Posts

Profile of cinemagician
Julianna, I would also recomend picking up a copy of Garcia and Schindler's, Magic with Cards. You can get it on amazon for probably a few bucks. This book in my oppinion is the best book ever for the beginner. I'd sugest it be read before RRTCM, but it also makes a nice companion to Royal Road as well. So easy to read- lot's of great self workers and many effects and principles that are not mentioned in Royal Road.
...The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity...

William Butler Yeats
jldemsky
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of jldemsky
Read the more classic books as you can , and don't post any card magic video online nor publish any book till 2025. (please)

-LJ
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Quote:
Edh you say there are dvd's to see magic? would it be good for me to see how other people do the tricks?

Juliana, if you want to see how illusions are performed then you should by these "simple" illusions. They are great. But understand that "simple" is relative. Also simple does not mean easy. There are simple methods for doing what
what we do. That does not, in anyway mean, that it is easy.

Just read and take the advice that is offered here and you'll do o.k.
Magic is a vanishing art.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Being a girl, I would look into mentalism. There is just something about a girl doing mentalism that is just more believable than card magic. You want people to believe in what you are doing. Otherwise, your uncle is right: It is just a bunch of "tricks". Smile
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3139 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Oh boy.

(pun not intended)
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
'Oh boy' what do you mean?
Magic is a vanishing art.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3139 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Just in response to the comment that a girl doing card magic is somehow less believable. I'd elaborate, but I've sworn off Café debates.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Julianna
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of Julianna
Edh, I guess I meant...seeing other magicians perform the tricks. if I saw someone perform (Do As I Do) I could compare it to what I have started doing.

OOOh, gotta go, my uncle's here!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Brand new and don't have a clue (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..11~12~13 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL