The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Creator of the mis-made bill (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I didn't know it was Harry Anderson (Harry the Hat, Night Court). He passed a coin shop and saw a sheet of uncut bills and...created it. He let Jim Lewis market it. Harry says Vernon carried and used the bill.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Me neither...thanks for the history lesson!

Mark. Smile
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Mark, there's a 2-part audio interview with Harry on this site:
http://linkingpage.com/

mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Thanks, Christopher. I appreciate the link.

Mark.
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
This was "outed" in the book WiseGuy. It's a great book.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
I bought a sheet of uncut bills so I could make my own mis-made bills, but I don't know how to cut them so they look clean. A friend mentioned a roller cutter, but I don't want to buy one as they look expensive. I believe that places like Kinko's have this type of cutter, but I don't know that they would be cool with someone coming in wanting to cut US currency.
Any ideas on cutting methods?
Thanks,
Sam
Sammy J. Teague
tpax
View Profile
Elite user
Columbia, Maryland
443 Posts

Profile of tpax
Use a razor knife with a fresh blade and a straight edge.
I would tear a few out so you get frayed edges. This is the ideal bill if you do a torn/restored to mismade.
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Thanks, tpax, I will give it a try!
Sammy J. Teague
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I wonder if you brought it to a craft store that had the huge cutting machines?

Darwin Ortiz
View Profile
V.I.P.
486 Posts

Profile of Darwin Ortiz
Quote:
On 2008-08-12 20:39, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
I didn't know it was Harry Anderson (Harry the Hat, Night Court). He passed a coin shop and saw a sheet of uncut bills and...created it.

P. Howard Lyons describes the mis-made bill in the September, 1956, issue of Ibidem. (Harry Anderson would have been about four years old at the time.) Lyons’ application, still one of the best for this particular item, is in conjunction with the Moneymaker prop.
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Quote:
On 2008-08-17 07:11, Darwin Ortiz wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-08-12 20:39, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
I didn't know it was Harry Anderson (Harry the Hat, Night Court). He passed a coin shop and saw a sheet of uncut bills and...created it.

P. Howard Lyons describes the mis-made bill in the September, 1956, issue of Ibidem. (Harry Anderson would have been about four years old at the time.) Lyons’ application, still one of the best for this particular item, is in conjunction with the Moneymaker prop.

I forgot I had read of this in the book "Switch".
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
If you are going to buy and make your own mismade bill, why not just tear them out? This was what was described in the Wise Guy book. Anderson would borrow a single, tear it into four pieces and then restore it, albeit into a mismade version. He would then either restore the bill or let the spectator keep the mismade one. Wise Guy is a great book, by the way, for more than just because it is full of great, polished routines. Also, if you have a sheet of bills, you should try and find a routine written up in Genii a couple of years ago called "George of the Jumble". It's a torn and restored bill routine that uses a slightly different version of the mismade bill.
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
Harry Anderson not only invented the mismade bill, but also paper currency. And not only that, but he did it all while still a fetus.
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2039 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Any other sources of information (books, online sources, etc) regarding history of mismade bill? I plan to get Lovick's Switch book, and keeping an eye out for Wise Guy and Ibidem, but am curious about any other info.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2008, Sammy J. wrote:
I bought a sheet of uncut bills so I could make my own mis-made bills, but I don't know how to cut them so they look clean. A friend mentioned a roller cutter, but I don't want to buy one as they look expensive. I believe that places like Kinko's have this type of cutter, but I don't know that they would be cool with someone coming in wanting to cut US currency.
Any ideas on cutting methods?
Thanks,
Sam

The electric fabric wheel cutters are expensive. But they make a simple disc blade roller knife, called a rotary cutter, that cuts just as good for a few dollars. You will need to buy one of green rotary cutting pads and a good straight edge ruler. They come with a couple extra blade for different type of material, paper, cardboard and fabric.

A friend of mine bought several sheets of bills, and simply went to a copy store, and they cut them. They use to cut at $2 a slice, but they make adjustments for special projects usually.
mtgoldstein
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, TX
325 Posts

Profile of mtgoldstein
Very cool
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Creator of the mis-made bill (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL