The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Help-Misdirection Lecture (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tophie
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Tophie
I have been asked to give a talk on the use of misdirection for easing chilren anxiety for health related procedures at a con.ference. I was asked to teach some basic effect that health workers could learn to distract. I am not really sure what is worth exposing. I use misdirection in my surgical practice in ways of techniques and speech rather that actual entertainment and was going to focus my presentation on that aspect.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Well.. it sort of sounds like those who asked you to do this don't really know the difference between misdirection and distraction and that they are after the latter.

In terms of "misdirection" applied to such a setting, I'd say it would have to do with getting your body language easy and not-tense in order to project a feeling of calm to the child....
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
DonHarlan
View Profile
Loyal user
Richmond, VA
296 Posts

Profile of DonHarlan
Quote:
On 2008-08-24 23:16, Cyberqat wrote:
Well.. it sort of sounds like those who asked you to do this don't really know the difference between misdirection and distraction and that they are after the latter.

In terms of "misdirection" applied to such a setting, I'd say it would have to do with getting your body language easy and not-tense in order to project a feeling of calm to the child....

I agree but Maybe you could use something visual in order to keep a childs mind off pain. Such as a d-lite its very visual and could be very captivating to a child. Something along the lines of "watch the magic light" to distract them when getting a shot. You wouldnt have to worry about exposure due to K-B toys selling them as kids toys. Simple yet effective form of misdirection.
“Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.”-Tom Robbins
<BR>
<BR>“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering".-Robert A. Heinlein
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Help-Misdirection Lecture (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL