The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Anybody have any cool palming coins they want to brag about? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I have a 1904 T. Nelson Downs palming coin:) It is in my wallet at all times.
I am not superstitious, but it is as close as I come to carrying something for 'luck.'
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
I hate you..I mean I'm very happy for you! LOL
That's very cool! Being a coin guy I'm envious my friend.
I would love to have anything connected to the King Of Koins.

How did you acquire such a lovely item??
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
EBay, before the new boss started to kill it:)
On very few occasions I take it out and run through my sleights with it.
It really has an amazing feel. Sticks to the hand almost. I don't do it much because I don't want to wear it out.
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I almost got another one but lost it at the last minute, don't suppose that was you? Smile
~Will Rogers
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1736 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I have a stack of Tarbell palming coins, a dozen or so Magic Immortal Coins (Houdini, Keller & Thurston), Jay Marshall coins, and a few Green River Palming Coins. I do not collect coins, but somehow acquired these. I was going to use them for the miser's dream, but I've swayed not to and use half dollars instead.
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
I have few Bartl palming coins.

I use one as a climax of a coin routine.
davewilsonmagic
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of davewilsonmagic
A couple of days ago I bought at auction a set of "ten" T. Nelson downs 1904 palming coins. are these actually over a hundred years old? and if so are they valuable?
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11209 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I would like to know too. What collectible value does it carry?
magiquarian
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of magiquarian
There are 3 different types of these Downs tokens, they are stamped "DEMON" the original and most valuable one ($20/35), FOREIGN ($2/3) and JAPAN ($5 to 10) That is it.

The Downs tokens were produced in substantial amonts for many yeas by Davenport in the UK.

Hope it helps
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
447 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
Well, you said to brag so here goes-

I live in Cincinnati and so does Ken Klosterman. So, not only have I touched T. Nelson Downs' personal coins, but I've touched his VERY OWN COIN LADDER as well! I've also picked up Robert Houdin's actual light and heavy chest. Remember, you said to brag...

Phil
Bigwhitetiger1
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Bigwhitetiger1
Well I bought 15 1904 T Nelson Downs from a dealer in Texas. Was well worth it. Especially as I am going to the trouble of framing them in pairs along with a brass name plate and copy of poster. Looks very good and made two magician friends very happy.. I urge everybody to do the same. They look so much better. I also have an original Tarbell System token which I picked up on Ebay for next to nothing. Does have a small hole in the top where some idiot drilled through it but I love it all the same. Got up at three in the morning to bid for it. Was the only bidder due a mispelling of Tarbell!
magiquarian
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of magiquarian
Big white; the "idiot" was Harlan Tarbell himself. This is a "vanishing coin" amp;ly described in Tarbell's lessons
pavlosbrig
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of pavlosbrig
Was browsing Ebay today and saw Nelson Downs Palming coins for sale and other coins too. Might be worth a look if still there
Kevin Connolly
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1329 Posts

Profile of Kevin Connolly
I just ran across one here. It's a Prof. King. I think it's from the 1850's.
Please visit my website.
www.houdinihimself.com

Always looking buy or trade for original Houdini, Hardeen and escape artist items. I'm interested in books, pitchbooks and ephemera. Email [email]hhoudini@optonline.net[/email]
mrmagician
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of mrmagician
I have a few from 1795. Anybody interested in buying some tokens. PM me.
tstark
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
266 Posts

Profile of tstark
There are 3 versions of the Downs coin which can be discerned from the hand on the reverse side of the coin. One is blank at the wrist, one has the word Foreign, one has the word Demon. I have several examples of each. I have several of the August Roterberg Maja coins which were the type used by Tommy Downs and are my favorites. I have a lot of examples of these including two shells to match. I have Martinka's as well in brass, copper, aluminum, miniature, hooked, bronze. Janos Bartl and SS Adams had many varieties as well and I have examples of these. These older coins have fascinated me for some time now and if anyone is interested in more information I will be happy to post more. I have, and have had, many more than those noted above. By the way, all noted above are early 1900s
magiquarian
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of magiquarian
Tstark, and one more made in japan
tstark
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
266 Posts

Profile of tstark
Quote:
On 2009-03-08 21:16, magiquarian wrote:
Tstark, and one more made in japan
Which was made in Japan. I am aware that the Bartl had a coin made in Japan. Is that the one you are referring to?
Bigwhitetiger1
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Bigwhitetiger1
Quote:
On 2009-01-16 19:36, magiquarian wrote:
Big white; the "idiot" was Harlan Tarbell himself. This is a "vanishing coin" amp;ly described in Tarbell's lessons

I stand corrected! Thanks for pointing this out. Makes me feel so much better knowing it is supposed to be there.
magiquarian
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of magiquarian
Tstark, no DOWNS coin was actually minted and marked I the obverse "JAPAN"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Anybody have any cool palming coins they want to brag about? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL