We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Geoff Latta Has Died at Age 51 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2491 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
With a heavy heart I report that my friend Geoff Latta, known around the world as one of the finest close-up card and coin workers, died Tuesday morning at the age of 51 from the effects of alcoholism.

He leaves behind a lot of friends who wished they could have done more to help, but realize that sometimes it's impossible and things just have to play out in their own way.

He also leaves behind a 6 year old daughter, whom he described as the light of his life.

A memorial service will be held this coming Monday, August 25th, at the Greenwich Village (aka Crestwood) Funeral Home located at 199 Bleecker Street in New York City. The service will last from 7 pm to 9 pm. ALL are welcome. His mother would appreciate it if any and all magicians who knew Geoff, or simply admired his work, would come.

The website of the funeral home is here:
http://www.greenwichvillagefuneralhome.com/home2.htm
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Very sad news.

Richard, thanks for letting us know.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4187 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Geoff was one of the founding members of our group New York Coin Magic. He was a brilliant performer and thinker, who I have known for over twenty years. Many people have asked why Geoff left the group, but we felt Geoff's problems should not become magician gossip so we never discussed them. Geoff had been battling his demons for a very long time, and after nearly dying a year ago, we had hoped that his prior health scares would push him to find the way. Unfortunately, they did not. He has given the magic world some incredible magic, and we are proud that at least some of his thinking and brilliant and innovative ideas have been recorded both on DVD and in the literature. Steve Minch was going to put out a book on his work, I am sure that it will be well received. Life takes strange turns sometimes. Geoff had all the ability, and he will be missed.
AT LAST - a NEW fun coins across!! MIGRATE is filled with laughs, magic, cool moves, lasts over 3 minutes, uses props, comes in a Poker Chip version or special Deluxe version with coins, and is about...BEARS! AT DEALERS EVERYWHERE!
https://youtu.be/hzf-Trbs4Ts

https://youtu.be/gGjMtW1DLjA

ALSO...available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
I HAVE A LIMITED AMOUNT OF COPIES AVAILABLE TO BE SIGNED, AND COME WITH A SPECIAL FREE GIFT! If interested, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com I also have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book, let me know if you want a pricelist.
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1303 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
I am sadedened to hear about this.
His work was amazing and I looked up to him as a performer.

Safe journey Geoff,
Mobius
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10805 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I am so sorry to hear of this teribble news . I can't believe this has happened/
Jeff was taken away so young.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8884 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I am so sorry to hear that. I was just thinking of him today, while explaining my usage of term and sleight, "The Downs Pop," which was named for the combining of two moves, T. Nelson Downs' "Downs Palm" and Geoff Latta's "French Pop."

Latta was an amazing magician and coin man. I enjoyed watching his technique and brilliance. He will be missed greatly. My deepest respect and condolences to his family and to his NY Coin Guys.

-Marion
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2149 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Sorry to hear about this news. I didn't know Geoff personally, but I will try to be there on Monday.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Much sympathies to his family and friends.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Only got to meet him a few times, but from what little I saw, he was a treasure to magic. He will be missed by all.
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
Wow I am shocked, the world has lost one of the greatest performers ever to hit the earth.
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
788 Posts

Profile of tedski
This is just so sad. I met Geoff only once in NYC at the first coin seminar; it was such a small group that it allowed for really great, personal instruction. He was very patient and took the time to work with me for a bit. It is a memory I haven't forgotten. Thanks to Dr.Mike I have a great picture of Geoff fooling me badly. Such a loss - my sincere condolences to his family and friends.
Marc DeSouza
View Profile
V.I.P.
Wayne, PA
164 Posts

Profile of Marc DeSouza
Hi All,

I am saddened by Geoff's passing. I had the good fortune to meet Geoff many years ago and got to see him work in his "prime". His was the story of the tortured artist. He couldn't perform for larger groups...he would just shake so much. But put him at a table with a half a dozen people and there was no better sleight of hand artist in the world. I continually told people for years that he was the best technician I ever saw. Cards or coins, it didn't matter. His pass was legendary. his coin work, sublime.
He went undegorund for quite a while.I kept trying to get him out to do a lecture, but he demured. I guess Roth and Rubinstein were far more tenacious and they got him to join the NYCS. Now a whole new generation would find out what the buzz was all about. Yes, he still shook when performing for a large group, but he got up and did it. And he did some brilliant material. I was lucky enough to have him at our home for two of the NYCS events and the filming of the DVD's. At least we have a tangible memory of his work for future generations. Geoff had his problems and they eventually did him in, but at his core he loved magic and cared about magic. Tonight, I will toast his memory. I will miss him and the world of magic is poorer for his passing. Sleep well Geoff.

Marc DeSouza
sickmagic
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of sickmagic
I am sadden by this news, as someone who has recently(3 days ago) a family member I know how hard this can be, however the memories I have of Geoff are fantastic and what I have learned from him over the years through reading and watching his material has had a huge impact on my work.

Sickmagic!@
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
He was an amazing magician, I'm deeply saddened by this news.
He died way too early. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

Rest in peace Geoff.
Sal Amangka
View Profile
Special user
Manila, Philippines
712 Posts

Profile of Sal Amangka
I so sorry to hear this heart-breaking news. May he rest in peace!

Sal
Salamangka in Filipino means "Magic"
http://www.thechubstershow.com
thechubstershow@gmail.com
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
It's extremely sad news.
Peace to Geoff and his family.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
R.I.P Mr. Latta.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Thetruth
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of Thetruth
He was a great technician.

R.I.P. Mr. Latta.
Clark
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of Clark
Horrible news, this is truly saddening. The man's work was brilliant and his ideas were always a breath of fresh air. Magic is truly worse off as a whole today.

R.I.P. Geoff

Clark
“The key to creativity is in knowing how to hide your sources.”
Albert Einstein
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
Very sad news indeed. My thoughts go out to his family. It's always tragic when someone with so much to offer can't see it for themselves.

Jason Wethington
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Geoff Latta Has Died at Age 51 (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL