We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Geoff Latta Has Died at Age 51 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2477 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
I feel terrible since I was very friendly with Geoff during my twenties when we hung out in Governor Caféteria doing magic with the likes of David R., Darwin O., Derrick D., and many other well known New York magicians.

Even though Geoff and I have only crossed paths a few times over that past 10+ years I will miss him .... the fond memories of late night magic sessions will be remembered !

What a sad loss to the magic community Smile
Long Island,

New York
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Thanks to everyone that shared special moment sthey ahd with Geoff and also to the NY Coin Magic Team for their support of Geoff's family. Shows the class of that fine team of Pro's.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4187 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
The memorial service was very fitting. Many of the NY magic crowd was present, including many family members and non magician friends. Magicians who attended included Simon Lovell, Wesley James, Peter Samuelson, Kainoa Harbottle, J.P. Laramie, Jeff Moche, Jordan Linker, Steve Cohen, Doug McKenzie, Gerald Deutch, and I'm sure others that I didn't see, remember, or recognize.Many were there in spirit, who wanted to come but were unable. Gallo was in Buffalo, Roth was in California, and Swiss was in San Diego. All sent their best, and I'm sure really wished they could be there. Several people got up to talk about Geoff, after his mother gave a touching speech. Simon talked about the kind of friend Geoff was. I talked about the help he would give to magicians at our seminars, the love he had for his daughter Vivica, and the times Roth and I spent with him and his family, when he showed off his culinary talents. Peter Samuelson read some nice notes from Jamie Swiss, and Steve Minch, and added his own recollections of when they worked together as computer consultants. It was nice to hear about the non magician side from his friends and family. The story that will stay with me, was a friend of his who had no knowledge of magic, but one day told Geoff he might want to learn. Geoff asked to see his hands. he said to the guy, "Good hands, no windows." The friend mentioned that all these yesars later, he never did find out what that meant, but knows he has hands with no windows.
In the other room was a video of Geoff in his 20's, before life dealt him so many blows. There he was, so full of life, doing the pass, and so many tricks from COIMmagic. I believe this was the famous underground tape made for Roger Klause, that got out and distributed around the world in poor quality. This was a pristine copy, and I hope Geoff's family releases it to the magic fraternity. This is the Geoff I really remember. The thin young Geoff who dressed in black, wore really cool sunglssses, and acted like a rock star. I will miss that Geoff.
Roth, Gallo, and myself have made up tribute cards, which we are including with all the DVD purchases from our website. We already e mailed a copy to people who had purchased from us in the past. For anyone who wants a memory of Geoff, and would like a tribute card without making a purchase, just send me a self addressed stamped envelope big enough to hold a postcard (US only), and I will send one out so everyone can remember a good friend who died way before his time (address is on the website).
AT LAST - a NEW fun coins across!! MIGRATE is filled with laughs, magic, cool moves, lasts over 3 minutes, uses props, comes in a Poker Chip version or special Deluxe version with coins, and is about...BEARS! AT DEALERS EVERYWHERE!
https://youtu.be/hzf-Trbs4Ts

https://youtu.be/gGjMtW1DLjA

ALSO...available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
I HAVE A LIMITED AMOUNT OF COPIES AVAILABLE TO BE SIGNED, AND COME WITH A SPECIAL FREE GIFT! If interested, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com I also have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book, let me know if you want a pricelist.
Simon Lovell
View Profile
V.I.P.
506 Posts

Profile of Simon Lovell
There's really very little I can say right now. I am both shocked and angry that such a great friend has been snatched away from us. I will tresure forever our, often long, sessions of magic and shooting the breeze.

Under the demons was a wonderful and caring human being who I will miss greatly.

Best to all,

Simon
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1274 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Quote:
On 2008-08-20 19:34, Richard Kaufman wrote:
With a heavy heart I report that my friend Geoff Latta, known around the world as one of the finest close-up card and coin workers, died Tuesday morning at the age of 51 from the effects of alcoholism.

He leaves behind a lot of friends who wished they could have done more to help, but realize that sometimes it's impossible and things just have to play out in their own way.

My "friend" died from the effects of alcoholism?

I never met Geoff Latta but my heart goes out to those that knew him. My heart especially goes out to his daughter.

I don't believe the alcoholism info was necessary. I just hope that when I die, I'm friends with Richard Kaufman because I'd hate to see what he'd write if we were enemies.

EVILDAN.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4187 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Several times I have heard Richard chastized for bringing up the fact that Geoff died from the effects of alcohol. The last years of Geoff's life were very hard. He alienated many friends who loved him. What people don't know is how much those friends tried to intervene, either by trying to get him work, giving him a place to stay, lending him money, or just trying to help him to clean up. For respect, those friends did not talk about Geoff's problems, so what happened is that people who did not know what was going on did not understand Geoff's behavior, which in the last few years often was eratic. Revealing what was going on explained a great deal to a lot of people, who had developed an unfavorable impression (and I won't go into details).
AT LAST - a NEW fun coins across!! MIGRATE is filled with laughs, magic, cool moves, lasts over 3 minutes, uses props, comes in a Poker Chip version or special Deluxe version with coins, and is about...BEARS! AT DEALERS EVERYWHERE!
https://youtu.be/hzf-Trbs4Ts

https://youtu.be/gGjMtW1DLjA

ALSO...available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
I HAVE A LIMITED AMOUNT OF COPIES AVAILABLE TO BE SIGNED, AND COME WITH A SPECIAL FREE GIFT! If interested, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com I also have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book, let me know if you want a pricelist.
markjens
View Profile
Loyal user
N. CA
213 Posts

Profile of markjens
Bravo, Dr. Rubinstein! This information wasn't written, I am sure, to besmirch Geoff's memory - please understand that this isn't something that we need to look at as shaming a person. My own brother died from the effects of alcoholism, and I don't hide that fact from anyone. Say what you will about your own impressions of alcoholism, but don't go away thinking that a death of this type is 'shameful.' My brother was a tortured guy who did his best to live the life of a successful businessman and he pulled it off for awhile. I think though, that no matter what great reasons one has for *living,* for some people there is just less pain in living with alcohol and perhaps dying from it.

I was the recipient, more than once, of Geoff Latta's magical side. He was kind, generous and a magical genius of sorts. I haven't seen anyone that impressed me more with either coins or cards - and NO one who did so with both. Geoff's legacy won't be in the way he died, but in the way he lived. He pushed magic forward instead of being static or traveling backward and reinventing someone else's stuff. His palming and handling of coins was brilliantly casual, and when he worked for just a few people - flawless. So please, think of what he gave us in magic - there is something there for everyone. If you have to think of his death - be informed by it. Thank you Geoff, R.I.P,

Mark
phedonbilek
View Profile
Special user
Greece, Cameroon, France
831 Posts

Profile of phedonbilek
I connect after having been away a couple of months to read these very sad news. I met Geoff once, at the seminar in Philadelphia in 2005, along with David, Mike Rubinstein and Mike Gallo. My first impression was that Geoff was an introvert, good person, kind of protecting himself. God knows what he's been through. I remember the very late discussion outside Chili's in Philly with him, after the dinner... So strange. What can I say? My prayers go with him, and may he rest in peace. One thing I know though, he sure will be remembered.

Phedon
...The only easy day is yesterday...
JoshuaMichael
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of JoshuaMichael
Any word when the Minch book will be available?
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
The news saddens me. I admire his work and his talent. May he rest in piece.
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Geoff Latta Has Died at Age 51 (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL