The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » CP to spectators hand (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

micromega123
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of micromega123
What are peoples opinion of releasing a coin from CP to a spectators hand (in particular during a coins across routine)? Do you think that this tips the method?
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4866 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
No it doesn't tip the method if it's done correctly. Paul Gertner for one does that in his "Familiar Ring" coins across which is described in his "Steel and Silver" book.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Same as what Larry said.

The late Geoff Latta also has a routine called 'Standup Spectator Coins Across' in Kaufman's "CoinMagic" book. Four coins travel to their hand.
Diavo
View Profile
Veteran user
The District
357 Posts

Profile of Diavo
It's also on the NY Coin Magic Seminar Vol 1 DVD, and it looks good (and plays well).
I like Latta's straight forward deposit each time after a tap, I don't like pulling the thumb or a finger or any of those by-plays in other similar routines (not my style).
I'm not just a magician, I'm an interpreter of Reality.
Underground, above ground, whatever. I don't need a label, thanks.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
I also was uneasy with my hand covering the spectator's hand.

Now I adjust the height of the spectator's hand at the wrist (with the coin in classic palm), focus attention on the hand where the coins disappear, and gently muscle pass the coin into the spectator's receiving hand (at such a short distance you don't need a great muscle pass). I immediately open both arms with hands palm up. It appears that my hands never went close to his.
It works even better than pulling the thumb or casting a shadow
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Nice idea Lawrence.
In a routine like this it's important that they know your hand is empty.

Made me think about having a coin on your head and .......coin from nowhere.

While you hand appears empty and is over thiers you can also have the coins quickly appear at your fingertips and then quickly drop them into thier hand(s. Or, pretend to pluck it from inside thier hand then drop it.
I'm not sure what 'magic moment' is stronger. Just have it fall to thier hand(s)or ....what?

What I like about Latta's routine is that while the first coin may seem obvious to someone, the second, third and fourth progressively seem more impossible.
Diavo
View Profile
Veteran user
The District
357 Posts

Profile of Diavo
Quote:
On 2008-08-21 22:41, Jaz wrote:
What I like about Latta's routine is that while the first coin may seem obvious to someone, the second, third and fourth progressively seem more impossible.

Bingo! And that's even though the same technique for depositting is used for coin #1, 2, and 3.
I'm not just a magician, I'm an interpreter of Reality.
Underground, above ground, whatever. I don't need a label, thanks.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Quote:
On 2008-08-21 23:21, Diavo wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-08-21 22:41, Jaz wrote:

Bingo! And that's even though the same technique for depositting is used for coin #1, 2, and 3.

Yes, the depositing is the same in the book. While I do like repetition at times I also like to mix it up a sometimes.
The methods used in getting set for the coins to appear is great thinking on Latta's part.

I don't do a great CP so use either a Purse Palm/Moritt grip, Angled Thumb Palm and/or Front Clip. Depends on how well my hands are working that day. Smile
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
I (like many others) also use this for multiple coins for example in an okito box routine...releasing one at a time....timed to tapping the top of the "full box"...

Sometimes the fourth one ends up somewhere else...(Ear, Shoulder, card box, under a card....)

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
micromega123
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of micromega123
I've wondered though if it is stronger to save the coin to spectators hand for the final coin. The first three are in the magicians hands and then the last one is done in their hands. My thought is that the element of surprise at having the coins already travel three times to their hand is somewhat diminished by the time you come to the last coin. I don't know if this makes any difference at all, but it's a thought that's been bothering me.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
In the Latta routine the last coin travels to thier closed fist to join the other three. That makes it strongest of the transpositions. Nothing diminishes, it gets stronger each passing.

Having only the last coin appear in thier is strong. In the routines that I've seen the last coin usually silently appears in thier closed hand, not dropped from CP.

There is a method where both hands are really empty and the last coin falls from nowhere/somewhere to thier waiting hands. I think it's in "The Magic of Michael Ammar" book.

As you mentioned earlier, dropping the coin from CP at the wrong time could tip the method.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Yes Jaz, both Michael's book as well as one of his Easy to Master Coin DVD's has the coin from nowhere! I remember doing it for my mother once and it really freaked her out! Just be sure that you spec isn't substantially taller than you! Smile
Rannie has a coins across in the specs hands that is quite masterful!

Mick
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I was gonna mention Rannie's routine but had a senior moment.
BenSalinas
View Profile
Special user
Coinoscenti
746 Posts

Profile of BenSalinas
For the first coin in my Coins Across, I place my hand over theirs and adjust the position of their hand, gently squeezing the coin out of classic palm and resting it on their palm. I keep my hand hovering over theirs (several inches above), and then gesture that the first coin has travelled. I move my hand away and they see a coin has materialized in their hand. They never feel a thing so the appearance is very stunning.

This requires some good audience management to keep them focussed on the Left hand.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Coin Flinger

www.SalinasMagic.com

The Modern Coin Magic blog
www.ModernCoinMagic.com
jmcgrath
View Profile
Regular user
Tomorrow I'll make another
147 Posts

Profile of jmcgrath
Our own Dan Walkins has a great routine "4 Coins - Your Hands" where he uses this loading technique. I can testify how powerful it is when the coin appears in their hand.

The great thing about Dans routine is that something else is also happening in their other hand at the same time. The spectators can't follow 2 trains of thought at the same time - especially when those trains are on course for a head on collision at central station.

Great Routine.

John
John McGrath
LoyaLover
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of LoyaLover
In David Stone's Real Secret of Magic Volume 1, there's a CP to spectators hand routine called "Watch out".

The first coin travels the "usual way".

Before the 2nd coin travels across, the clink pass helps to provide sound misdirection. And a certain concealment is used to show that the next coin has yet to go. (He did this on his performance, but he did not mention about this sleight in his explanation)

Finally, the 3rd coin travels and arrives underneath spectators watch. I think its a great ending. And 3 coins is just nice.

Just my 2 cents.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
As part of a coin box routine, I have the spectator tap the top of my hand (which is over their palm up hand).

Each time they tap a coin falls into their hand. (3 or 4 times) Sometimes the 4th coin is used in a different way.

Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9086 Posts

Profile of funsway
I was taught a technique long ago that I have never tried that may help here. Apparently, if you hold a person's outstretched arm above the wrist with your finger folded so that your knuckle presses inward you can block the blood flow just a bit. You have the person open (her) hand to see if the coin has arrived, pointing and jabbing your fingernail into her palm. As she closer her hand you take the pressure off of her arm and drop the coin into her palm and back away with your hands open and outstratched saying, "perhaps I was too close." She will swear she feels the coin arrive and grow in her hand -- even squeeling as she opens her hand to show the coin to everyone -- you now far away.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
One might also use that technique on the back of a spectators hand, body loads
or shoulders ...
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » CP to spectators hand (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL