The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Hypnotic History (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

hypnodoc
View Profile
New user
WA
64 Posts

Profile of hypnodoc
I was wondering and wanting to start a discussion abou tthe first Stage Hypnosis shows. Where were they held? What time period? What did they consist of?
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Dede 'hypnotized' some animals when he performed for King Cheops. However, this is probably not what you mean.
It is generally accepted that the rudiments of hypnosis date back to these Egyptian courts and also to ancient Greece.
Hypnotism in it's modern and more scientific form only dates back to the mid-1700's, with the work of Franz Anton Mesmer and his publication of the book on "Animal Magnetism."
The word hypnosis itself goes back to the early 1800's and is attributed to Doctor James Braid. He begun his interest in the field after watching a stage performance of what was then still called mesmerism.
What we can gather then is that stage hypnotism is almost as old as the technique itself.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
hypnodoc
View Profile
New user
WA
64 Posts

Profile of hypnodoc
Thanks for the response but I am talking about pure performance Hypnosis. I know that Hypnosis in a clinical setting goes back about three thousand years to sleep temple in ancient Egypt.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
As it turns out, Mozart was very close to Mesmer. Mozart actually talked Mesmer into demonstrating his art specifically as a form of theatrical entertainment.
Mesmer's shows included lighting effects and musicians.
That's about as show business as it gets.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
hypnodoc
View Profile
New user
WA
64 Posts

Profile of hypnodoc
Interesting, I would like some other specifics on Vaudville and other eras I find the whole thing fascinating
briandavidphillips
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of briandavidphillips
Get a copy of Alison Winter's MESMERIZED as it does talk about 18th and 19th century theatrical performances. Also, Mesmer learned animal magnetism from Father Hel who was performing cures on a stage in the street. It's also a great read if you have interests in clinical hypnosis history as well as literary portrayals and where our contemporary stereotypes and misconceptions come from.

All the best,
Brian
Hypnosis DVD Courses
http://www.briandavidphillips.com

Brian David Phillips brian@briandavidphillips.com
Hypnotist, Trance Wizard, Intuitionist
Keelung, Taiwan
http://www.briandavidphillips.com
Hypno
View Profile
Regular user
England
118 Posts

Profile of Hypno
Hi Hypnodoc,

Here is a link to a short article on my website about the history of stage hypnosis, as I am a British stage hypnotist the information is slanted slightly in that direction. http://www.hypnoticexperience.co.uk/page15.htm
I hope it is of interest.

Kind Regards.
David Regan.
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Thanks for that David. Very interesting.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
hypnodoc
View Profile
New user
WA
64 Posts

Profile of hypnodoc
This has been a great thread so far thank you all
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
685 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
Hypno, thanks for the link.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Hypnotic History (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL