The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Newspaper Test (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
timlondon
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of timlondon
Hi, first time poster but long time lurker here. Recently I’ve been putting together a stage show which I have never done before, and it seems appropriate to use a newspaper test as closer for the show.

I have been trying to look for more information regarding Docc Hilford’s Nostrum Necromancy newspaper test and Greg Arce’s Add Sense in his “Lost in Thought” book, but it surprises me that there have been very few discussions about them in the café. Can anyone give more information regarding their practicality, difficulty and difference in effect perceived by the audience? Any other recommendations for newspaper test other than the two I mentioned?

Thanks.
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
I would strongly recommend you take a look at Sean Taylor's Newspaper test. It can be found in his book 'mindstorms' under the title of 'News Of The World'.

It involves the entire audience is baffling and highly entertaining.

You can find it here - http://www.taylorsmagicshop.com/category16_1.htm
timlondon
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of timlondon
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately there hasn't been much info/review regarding this book after searching it in the café, and for such an expensive book I hope that someone will give more details regarding its practicality, difficulty and effect perceived as mentioned in my original post. Thanks.
aukt
View Profile
Special user
768 Posts

Profile of aukt
The newspaper test is awesome and surgically clean.
Wanderer2
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Wanderer2
Yeah, I've been looking for a good newspaper predictions as well. The two so far I found that I might like are Sean Taylor's and there's another one called "Random Thoughts". What does the audience see in Sean's? Also, are there any other newspaper test/predictions that I might like?
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6439 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
You might like "Elemental Science" by (ahem!) Me. It's found in The Wizard's Journal #15 (on my site) and here's the run-down:

Four people are asked to select one of the four elements, earth, air, fire, water. As each chooses, he or she writes down the choice on the front of a sealed envelope. Each also writes a random number from 1 to 1000, and a date from among the past ten years. On opening each envelope it is discovered that each envelope contains a newspaper clipping from the chosen date, and that each element represents a natural disaster; earthquake, hurricane, wildfire, flood. In each disaster, the news story states the number of people killed- the same number chosen by each spectator.

http://www.magicnook.com/WizJ15/WIZ15-06ElementalScience.htm

There's also "Old News" from The Wizards' Journal #1, but it might be more bizarre than you like:

http://www.magicnook.com/WIZONE/wj0105.htm
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
timlondon
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of timlondon
Quote:
On 2008-08-23 23:38, Wanderer2 wrote:
Yeah, I've been looking for a good newspaper predictions as well. The two so far I found that I might like are Sean Taylor's and there's another one called "Random Thoughts". What does the audience see in Sean's? Also, are there any other newspaper test/predictions that I might like?

I'm interested in how Sean Taylor's effect looks like as well. Is it possible to have a prediction envelope in full view for the rest of the time?

Random Thoughts seems complicated in its selection process (especially when the dice is introduced). Surely it is a great effect (I like Devin's works a lot) but I prefer effects that are more straightfoward and direct.
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
Quote:
On 2008-08-24 02:12, timlondon wrote:

Is it possible to have a prediction envelope in full view for the rest of the time?

Yes, with Sean's the prediction can be in view the whole time.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24024 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
There are a few listed inside of "Practical Mental Magic."
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1478 Posts

Profile of Piers
I'm sure Bob Cassidy has an excellent version in his book too...
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2016!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
aukt
View Profile
Special user
768 Posts

Profile of aukt
Where is the bob cassidy version?

Does anyone know which one marc Salem uses?
Rappel
View Profile
Veteran user
Memphis Tn.
303 Posts

Profile of Rappel
I'm curious of why a newspaper test is an appropriate closer for your show?

Rappel
Bedford
View Profile
Special user
Savannah, GA
661 Posts

Profile of Bedford
MM&M has a section on the newspaper test. There are a couple of interesting ideas there. Tarbell's volume 6 has a couple of newspaper tests as well.
The Alchemy Moon Collective
Find us on Gemini Artifacts
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Al Mann all the way if you can find it.

Some old Robert Nelson manuscript and a little gem from Dr.Stanley Jaks.

Yeah, I know very rare stuff to find but some of the best things I ever came across (and in my opinion, better than some "new" approaches to the problem).

Oh, and of course - but it has been said already - T.A. Waters has a great section on this kind of things in his wonderful MM&M tome.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
The Game
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
177 Posts

Profile of The Game
May I ask what are the names of Nelson and Mann's books?

Thanks
P.
aukt
View Profile
Special user
768 Posts

Profile of aukt
Yes lord, I'd love that.
david12345
View Profile
Special user
699 Posts

Profile of david12345
I just discovered Nostrum Necromancy, it absolutely kills! I don't care for the reveal Docc describes, but the approach and combination of ideas are brilliant, can be applied to magazines and even books. I can't compare with others besides Colin Mecloud's In The News which I use on stage. For a completely impromptu request its a real worker.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13139 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
You can do Docc's just like Koran Presentation with a sealed envelope.in the spectator's hand before you begin.
Or you can do It as he demonstrated in his Doccinar with a whiteboard or drawing pad, it plays huge.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11482 Posts

Profile of John C
Envelope prediction in view the entire time ... Stop the Press in Mind Warp Richard Mark. The book contains tons of other great effects.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Nestor D
View Profile
Special user
France (Paris)
741 Posts

Profile of Nestor D
It's an old post but for those who (like me) might be searching this :

Quote:
On Aug 24, 2008, Lord Of The Horses wrote:
Al Mann all the way if you can find it.

Some old Robert Nelson manuscript and a little gem from Dr.Stanley Jaks.

Both the Robert Nelson and the Dr.Stanley Jaks's effect are included in Al mann's "Six Columns" : a compilation of newspaper tests Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Newspaper Test (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL