The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Jay Sankey Card To Pocket (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

fkace63
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of fkace63
Hi all, this is my first post. I bought Jay Sankey's Paperclipped special edition, and all I can say is wow. That is one **** of an effect. I was wondering, do any of you perform the card to pocket that Sankey does, and mentions as part of his routine. I think its by Francis Carlyle. Anyway, it's such a cheeky trick, and I absolutely love it. However, I haven't performed it yet. I'm just curious if this trick has served any of you well in the past. If performed correctly, do you think this trick should fool spectators?

If any of you have any extra time, here is an amazing performance. Sure it's a kid, but he is really good at what he does.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJWtbBVa0Jg
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13421 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I think Carlyle's trick is among the keepers of many a pro's repertoire.
I use it all the time. I don't see what Sankey added to it at all.
I wouldn't call rubbing the deck on his pocket a "handling" that would warrant any fanfare or accolades. Did he do a DVD just on that trick? I hope not.

It is merely "Francis Carlyle's Homing Card" from The Stars of Magic. Period. A fantastic trick. Are kids actually calling it "Sankey's Card to Pocket"? If so, that's quite a stretch. If Carlyle was alive today, I'm sure he'd be pretty irritated listening to people give credit to Sankey for his trick.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
danielellis_5
View Profile
Loyal user
Sheffield
211 Posts

Profile of danielellis_5
I really need to move to the states to get reactions like that.

I don't know who invented it first so I'm not going to get into that but it was performed well in the video and it looks like its a good workable routine.

Dan
Best quote from a spectator"I know how he did that,it was sleight of hand"(spectator then sits back looking pleased with himself)
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Frank,
I bet a lot of the kids in magic today think Greg Wilson invented the double lift after he put out the double take video.lol

The Carlysle routine is one of the strongest effects with a normal deck one can do.
The repeat is the icing on the cake.

Check out Mike Powers card corner forum for my repeat no palm signed card to pocket which is called inspired by Pierce.
Mike has a video clip there of him performing my sequence.

Take care

John
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
This is what John is referring to:

http://www.mallofmagic.com/ccvid006.html

I love Mike Powers performing style. His technique is flawless.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Cheers Chris
fkace63
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of fkace63
Guys, it was my mistake for calling it Jay Sankey Card to Pocket. I'm glad that you had good things to say about it.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-08-26 21:06, fkace63 wrote:
Guys, it was my mistake for calling it Jay Sankey Card to Pocket. I'm glad that you had good things to say about it.

No worries. It got a good dialog going. Thanks for posting your thoughts on it!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2021 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
Chris,
Thanks for the link!
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
That's such an incredible no palm signed card to pocket and repeat again with the spec deal out the cards! Awesome, totally awesome!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1465 Posts

Profile of jstone
Chris,

Thanks for the link... killer technique... presentation needs some work, but the method is sweet!
John Neely
View Profile
Loyal user
Iowa
276 Posts

Profile of John Neely
John Carey's variation is pretty interesting but Carlyle's original is much more direct and easy for spectators to follow. I don't think I could see myself pulling out the kings in an actual walk around performing situation to perform Carey's trick, but I do the Homing card all the time under all conditions. It is simply a classic of magic!

John
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
It works like a dream. Sankey didn't improve much on the Carlyle version but he did bring it back into the younger magicians' arsenal.
Jim Mullen
View Profile
Veteran user
Lake Tahoe, California
351 Posts

Profile of Jim Mullen
I think Francis Carlyle's version, which several people mention, is extremely good. It is in Stars of Magic as mentioned above. And it is published in Carlyle's own book, The Magic of Francis Carlyle, which is a book that was self-published and had a short run. Therefore it is difficult to find. (It actually is hand written.) For the Homing Card, Carlyle's own book gives a one-paragraph explanation of the one-hand top palm that is a key feature of the Carlyle routine. From this paragraph, I was never able to perfect that sleight. However, Jay Sankey put out his explanation and routine in a DVD, and once I got the Sankey DVD, I was able to do the Homing Card in a short period. Thus, I strongly recommend that you get Sankey's DVD. The Sanky routine is Carlyle's.

As mentioned, the trick is a classic of magic. It is great as it is. However, I think it could be combined with an additional finishing trick to provide an even stronger climax. I have been considering the card-to-sock as a follower to the Carlyle routine. I think Jacques Clousier's card-to-sock is utterly amazing.
Jim Mullen

Lake Tahoe
magiclimber
View Profile
Veteran user
Boulder, Colorado
315 Posts

Profile of magiclimber
Do we know who this kid is? Good technique.

Homing card is great. So well constructed. I close with it all the time, adding the marlo phase first.

You know a trick is good when you don't have to present it, all you have to do is do it, and people react like those kids did. I'm not knocking him for a lack of presentation, I'm pointing out how strong good close up magic can be. I am surprised that those kids are impressed with that though, I feel like this day in time high school kids (and others) only want to see some stupid crap David Angel or Chris Blaine does to make people pee themselves. Because that's the sign of good magic?

Props to "jarrod" for choosing good classic magic, keep it up!
HighClass
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of HighClass
I'm going to have to dig this book out and check it out.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
For the record, Sankey totally credits Carlyle for the Card To Pocket. He doesn't claim it as his own. Just added a few of his own touches. It's just a sequence he likes to perform before Paperclipped. But he does not claim it as his own. Paperclipped: Special Edition is very good, BTW. I don't think Sankey sells it anymore but you can still find it at most major online retailers.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1521 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Carlyle's Card to Pocket has always been one of my favorite effects and I think Stars of Magic is one of the best buys in magic. I was pretty happy when I saw Sankey was using it to lead up to Paperclipped.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Jay Sankey Card To Pocket (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL