The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Looking For Local Street Performers - Harrisburg, PA (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JohntheMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Mechanicsburg, PA
157 Posts

Profile of JohntheMagician
Ok I am in a small town here in Pennsylvania. I do some Street Performing on weekends & street festivals in the area and am looking to broaden my horizons and get to know more of my fellow Buskers out there.

I’d especially like to meet those of you who do it full time, you know as a living. Having devoured the Cellini DVD’s and his book, stuff by Gazzo, Jimmy TalksAlot’s Book & Blog and even chatting with Kozmo, I want to move ahead with the next step, I want to get hands on with my fellow performers. {Ok that sounded kinda bad, but you know what I mean}

I love Street Performing, and I’d like to start getting together with people who do as well. The Café is great but nothing beats Hand’s On learning.

So anyone for the Pa area out there?
“The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.” ~ Doug Henning
<BR>____________________________________________
<BR>WWW.ILLUSIONDELUSION.COM
JMuoio
View Profile
New user
Pennsylvania, USA
9 Posts

Profile of JMuoio
Hey John, I believe that we have met before.
I'm from West Chester and I met you performing at the Ren. Faire. At that time, I never street performed. I really have only street performed twice as there are very few oppurtunities to street perform in my little town. I love street performing, but I am definitely a beginner busker. There really isn't anywhere to perform daily in a college town.

-Joe
D. Yoder
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
Hello John,

We've met at the annual PMC holiday show at the Dutch Apple and at Central Market once or twice. Since school started, my time to busk at Central Market in Lancaster has been cut way back to an occasional Saturday and on First Fridays. I'm glad to hear that you are still out there.

Uncle Yodie
G.Gilbert
View Profile
Elite user
baltimore
495 Posts

Profile of G.Gilbert
John if you don't mind can you shoot me an email and let me know a good place to work the next couple months in PA? .. And just curious have you tried Kennet Square? .. I'm fulltime I live in Baltimore MD . ..

G.G.

georgegilbertmagic@gmail.com
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1168 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Hi John,... I wasn't sure if I'd write `cha,.. not sure if it pertains, but here goes,..

Many years, tears, and beers ago; my folks lived in Lebanon, Pa. I was Busking fulltime, at the time,... everywhere but there. Rolling thru, for a family birthday; I fell in love with a beautiful reason to stay there for the summer. The only work in the area, at the time, was `the Three Mile Island Clean-up'; so I decided to stick to the streets.

I used to hang out at `The Illusion House', in Harrisburg. They used to thro me street-fest gigs. Marc DeSousa was hanging out in the area at the time, as well,... with the S.S.S.,...Society of Stoned Socerers. He used to let me in on `garage partys'. They were usually pretty good.

My `big secret' in the area, was Hersey. I used to play the City Gardens, on the weekends. Usually to a middle-aged/elderly crowd,... they were quite pleasant. For adventure, I'd hop the Turnpike to Philly. Usually Wednesdays. The Comedy Club had 5$ entery, and open-stage. The streets, in Philly, then; in the daytime, were pretty contolled. But the National Property, like the Liberty Bell Site, were controlled by National Park Rangers,.. they were always pretty cool,.. if I asked first.

One other sweet spot I had, was at Slippery Rock College, a bit north of Pittsbirgh. I used to play outside the Mess Hall from 11:30 `till 2:00. College kids, at least then, were a lot of fun.

Hey John, that's my thoughts,... hope it gets you thinking a bit,.. maybe tickle ya a bit. Thinking back, Pa. was a BEAUTIFUL place! Getting out there, you'll run into folks!

,..if by chance, you run into a sweet lady named Laurie, from the Lebanon area; don't play cards with her. She lays down seconds, like other women lay bolonia on bread!

all the best, galagher
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
Hello out there.......
Greatings from Bensalem PA.
check out my web sight for the details.
and drop a line any time.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
JMuoio
View Profile
New user
Pennsylvania, USA
9 Posts

Profile of JMuoio
George, I was thinking about trying Kennet Square. Looked like a good place to go... right on their main street. I drive by there every once in a while. There may not be much foot traffic, though. I don't think there are any buskers that work there, but I don't know for sure.

-Joe
Michael K
View Profile
Loyal user
Hazleton, PA
249 Posts

Profile of Michael K
I'm about 1 1/2 hours north of Harrisburg, but I visit about one weekend a month. While interested in busking, I'm no where near ready, unless I loose my job tomorrow ;0 The only guess I can think of would be Strawberry Square during the weekday lunch time, but that is just a guess.

Michael
JohntheMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Mechanicsburg, PA
157 Posts

WOW,

So there are a few of you out there in PA.

that's great to hear. We need to start getting together and share some ideas and such.

I do the Lancaster Central Market most Saturdays. I got my permit for Fells Point so I plan on hitting that on Saturday evenings.

So; if anyone is down my way sometime give me a shout.

I may try downtown Harrisburg on the next holiday event, who knows.
“The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.” ~ Doug Henning
JMuoio
View Profile
New user
Pennsylvania, USA
9 Posts

Profile of JMuoio
John,
I'll try to make it out to lancaster sometime.
Do you need a permit for the lancaster Central Market?

Thanks,
Joe
JohntheMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Mechanicsburg, PA
157 Posts

Nope

But if you haven't performed there before You'll need to talk to the Market Master when you get there.
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
I am a busker wannabe. I have wanted to busk downtown on a night the Revolution plays as there isn't really a lot of foot traffic at any other time except possibly noon hour during the week.

Only 2 things have prevented me from getting out there and trying:

1. I'm sure to get hassled by the cops. As soon as 3 or more people congregate they assume it's a mugging.

2. The very real possiblity of getting shot and robbed by a crackhead or 15 yr.
old punk.

York does have a farmers market a few days a week with very limited hours, very little parking for customers and from a local radio program aired recently is struggling to stay open.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
JohntheMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Mechanicsburg, PA
157 Posts

Manal -

Check out my buddy's Magic Group forming in York. He runs an online store as well and has fun too. Here is the info:

"The South-Central Pennsylvania Magician's Guild has started a mailing list to keep area magicians informed of Guild events and activities. There is no cost to join the Guild, infact there is not even any formal member registration. We simply meet and discuss magic once a month - usually at an area restaurant for a nice meal and evening of magic. For example, we meet tonight at Old Country Buffet in York to discuss Torn and Restored Newspaper methods. A few magic friends from the Maryland area will be attending as well. Everyone is welcome!

If you are interested in what the Guild has to offer and the events we have coming up, please go to the website:

http://magicvault.net/mailman/listinfo/m......ault.net

you can enroll for our email discussion list. You may also email me directly and I can add you to the list if you like. My email address is mreed@magicvault.net
"

York isn't that far away so if you ever want to hang let me know.
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Thank you John,very nice of you.I will look into it after I have had a nap ( been working too many hours).

Jim
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
DrNorth
View Profile
Veteran user
North Starr Entertainment, Harrisburg PA
364 Posts

Profile of DrNorth
Ever since I spent time abroad in Europe and bigger cities in the USA, I was always drawn to busking The state capital has a very di view of it, lumping it in with vagrancy and panhandling. Every attempt by me has gotten shot down by the city council who just do not see the draw for tourists and atmosphere.
UNTIL recently, where I hear a local guitarist has made some headway, and may be opening the door in Harrisburg Fingers crossed!
Smile
"For it shows things that were, and things that are, and things that yet may be. But which it that he sees, even the wisest cannot always tell"
~Galadriel

"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
I was going to suggest getting with local IBM or SAM meetings...will meet lots of folks, including buskers, or those wanting to try (and some who never thought about it, but would try). But sounds like you've got your guild going strong...good!
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1394 Posts

Profile of Piers
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2017, DrNorth wrote:
Ever since I spent time abroad in Europe and bigger cities in the USA, I was always drawn to busking The state capital has a very di view of it, lumping it in with vagrancy and panhandling. Every attempt by me has gotten shot down by the city council who just do not see the draw for tourists and atmosphere.
UNTIL recently, where I hear a local guitarist has made some headway, and may be opening the door in Harrisburg Fingers crossed!

Did you make any headway at all?

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=61
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2021!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Looking For Local Street Performers - Harrisburg, PA (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL