The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Square Circe (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Paul Prater
View Profile
Elite user
North Little Rock, AR
483 Posts

Profile of Paul Prater
Just wanted to share some more pics of projects. Here is the square circle I made. I have used it a couple of times in performance and really enjoy working with this prop.

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp31/paulyp/IMG_1973.jpg
Illusionist11
View Profile
Loyal user
220 Posts

Profile of Illusionist11
Another great picture...awesome!
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
Pauly, you cease to amaze.
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
Looks great
Danny Borneo
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of Danny Borneo
Or "never" cease.......just read my post and realized that it takes on a whole new connotation without that one tiny word.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of BCS
I also think it looks great! What did you use for the tube?
Thanks,
Bruce
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
832 Posts

Profile of lin
Paul,

I'm really enjoying the photos of your work! Keep 'em coming!
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11209 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Amazing craftmanship, Paul.
Paul Prater
View Profile
Elite user
North Little Rock, AR
483 Posts

Profile of Paul Prater
Thanks for the compliments everyone. Like the Lota Vase this was an example of me seeing something and using it for a magic prop. This never ceases to **** off my wife because I am always getting stuff out of the trash or buying stuff at Goodwill or flea markets. Usually I have no clue what I will do with it at the time. (I have a whole box of cool stuff just waiting to be used for something).

My father in law put in new carpet and he had the cardboard roll from the center of it. This was thick and strong and pretty big around and I thought it would probably work for the tube. Of course, it is cardboard and the surface didn't look good so I had to cover it. I found metallic contact paper at Target and laid this on a sheet of posterboard. I then glued the posterboard to the cardboard tube. That is how I did the tube.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11209 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
This shows that potential magic items (raw materials) are lying every where just waiting to be reborn into good magic props.
conjurormatt
View Profile
Regular user
Ft. Worth, TX
181 Posts

Profile of conjurormatt
Agreed. When I was younger I crafted a set of linking rings from those 10" brass rings you could get a walmart in the craft section. I eventually got a heaver set from a dealer, but those brass rings lasted for quite some time.
Matthew Martin
"Merely to be acquainted with the basic secret of a card trick, in no way qualifies you to perform it. Few people realize that even a simple trick in the hands of a capable performer can become a minor miracle."
~Dai Vernon
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I've noticed that most square circles have fairly small front openings.

Is this necessary to pull off the illusion? I was thinking of trying to build one that looked like an "animal crate" for animal production. The front would be a mostly open frame with vertical "bars" set in it.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Depends on lighting, how high (and thick) the top (procenium) is in relationship to the audience view and how absorbent the interior is in addition to the brightness of the grill on the front.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I have seen Square Circles with completely open fronts as well as one that was hinged to open completely that used triple black velvet on the interior surface.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
CharlaineC
View Profile
New user
rhode island
61 Posts

Profile of CharlaineC
Love the look and great work on the front.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Beautiful work, Paul! My son and I are going to begin to build some classic props (starting with the Silk Cabby and the Mirror Box) with beautiful woods, rather than the normal "magic look". There is a place for both types of props, but there are far too few available of the wood-finished ones.

Again, nice job!
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Paul Prater
View Profile
Elite user
North Little Rock, AR
483 Posts

Profile of Paul Prater
Thanks guys. I hate that typo in the name, but oh well... I still use this prop and it is still in good shape. I still enjoy making most of my own props. My most recent is a bed of nails.
Paul Prater
View Profile
Elite user
North Little Rock, AR
483 Posts

Profile of Paul Prater
Thanks guys. I hate that typo in the name, but oh well... I still use this prop and it is still in good shape. I still enjoy making most of my own props. My most recent is a bed of nails.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Square Circe (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL