The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » David Copperfield Tornado of Fire vs David Blaine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
Im just watching Tornado of fire and remember thinking this back when it aired but was wondering if anyone had the same impression.

It was said for a while during Dreams and Nightmares that DC was inventing a tornado illusion, to create a tornado on stage. There were pictures o0n the internet of supposed tests and rumors of the illusion tearing up stages which lead to the illusion being discontinued.

DC wasn't seen on TV for a while and Blaine comes on the scene and magic is now "cool" its all over the media and there is a huge spark of interest. Blaine is doing feats and endurance stunts as well.

DC comes back to reclaim his title as king of magic with some amazing illusions. and also has Torando of Fire. Which just seemd to be tacked on to the end of the special and didn't make sense. Furthermore it was said this was the long talked about tornado illusion.

I believe this was never the intention and DC never die the real tornado becuase the technology to do what he wan5ted wasn't available. (I think it is now did anyone see the Kiren Stone video?)

I think that David was trying to compete with blaine and had the thought I can finally do the tornado and change it to compete with blaine. I also felt there was evident competition with the Laser and floating couch outside and even the spec reacted like blaines specs.

Although this did work it seemed strange and was not Copperfield nor fit his style.

Did anyone else get this feeling?????

Furthermore he did his illusions in the round. AWESOME concept.

Its been said that he couldn't do the illusions in the round with current methods and created new ones.

There were rumors that there were actually the same methods and cardboard cutouts behind him.

I feel that DC would never do cutouts becuase the actual audience woul know so mabye he used his crew. But its also been said DCs crew doesn't know all the secrets just the parts they need to know.

Whats your opinion on this as well, as some of the methods of some of these illusions are known and you can not do them in the round and get away with it. It is kind of cool how he did the floating couch with no "Loud Curtian" behind it though.
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1695 Posts

Profile of Futureal
I was totally disappointed by the Tornado. DC should stick to what he knows and not do "endurance" sort of things, they don't suit him.

After an hour of great magic and huge buildup what did we see? DC in the tornado of fire for 10 seconds, after which he collapsed and screamed "I'm HOT!" to a crew member, and that was it.

Compare that to the phenomenal straightjacket finale (which to be fair was a kind of endurance test of sorts, at least in presentation), the Barclay House, Flying, or his other 90's episodes.
de rome
View Profile
New user
UK/NORWAY
71 Posts

Profile of de rome
For those that ever get the chance to meet David Copperfield.
I had this chance a few years ago when I got all the way from Norway to Vegas
and stayed back with him for a good 20 min chat between shows at the MGM.
and I have to say what a really great and friendly guy David was,
a memory I will treasure and NEVER forget...hope you all get this chance one day.
you will never find a better quality HEAT / HOTSPOT / HYPNO HEAT as mine anywhere else, ITS REALLY GOOD... here is a link to the effect NEW WEB SITE AND TO ORDER
http://www.cdrmagic.com/heat
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
There's no doubt that David has done some wonderful stuff over the years.

Personally I never cared for the Tornado of Fire illusion. To me, it was a lot of hype about nothing. Now I had heard through the grapvine that it was supposed to have been a completely different illusion with David vanishing with people and taking them through some sort of time warp. Alas, that never happened.

Chrusa, it's funny you mentioned this Copperfield / David Blaine similarity. That was exactly my take on it when I saw it. After his special I talked with other magicians and they felt the same way you did.
Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Ohio (currently located in Missouri)
503 Posts

Profile of Christian Illusionist
Quote:
On 2008-09-01 09:09, de rome wrote:
For those that ever get the chance to meet David Copperfield.
I had this chance a few years ago when I got all the way from Norway to Vegas
and stayed back with him for a good 20 min chat between shows at the MGM.
and I have to say what a really great and friendly guy David was,
a memory I will treasure and NEVER forget...hope you all get this chance one day.

I met him about two years ago now and can say that my experience was the same as yours. We didn't have much time, but while he was there he was very friendly.
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Swann101
View Profile
Special user
558 Posts

Profile of Swann101
Chrusa, Ya well said, I always had that feeling too! Copperfield still a great performer, didn't like the tornado illusion much but the special was nice and he did some nice illusions on it.
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
I personally didn't care for it but man it did take balls. I had a chance to meet DC a few years ago back in 97 I set iut up with Chris Kenner and I waited in the proper area. David must have been tired because I saw him coming down the hall way and he kind of just rushed into another room. The stupid security guard (Who worked for the theater not David) told me to get out. I explained I was supposed to meet David. He said no get out. I said I set it up with Chris Kenner he said "who is that I don't know that name are you making this up? Get out!" So I left out the emergency exit and waited by his tour bus. I saw Chris and he apologized and said the security guard was from oakdale (the theater) and was a jerk backstage to everyone. David already ws in the tour bus at this point and Chris said he was kinf of tired but would get David to come out (I didn't ask him to do this Chris offered) Now I said that's ok because I would never do that to someone after a long show make them come out o their bus just to say hello and signan autograph. A lot of people do not respect performers and give them their privacy and rest. It really bugs me how some performers are in a restaurant with their family and people have the nerve to go up and interrupt their meal to ask for an autograph., At least wait till the man is done eating don't interrupt somebodys family time or meal.

I hear dthe same about the Tornado and a different illusion. Ive even seen pictures (Not sure if they were real or not) Of test shots of it. I think they might have even real because his warehouse is in the desert and one had pipes forming a blackish tornado on the desert sand. I know the technology is available now (see kirin stone the magic Cafés favorite copperclone) I just do not think it was available at the time of DC wanting to do it and he said that it was tearing up stages. What doesn't make sense is David will not rush illusions at all and if the technology wasnt there he would have held off until he can do what he wanted. I am curious why he didn't just save it until he could do what he wanted instead of making it a tornado of fire. It just didn't seem to fit and seemed tacked on the end. The illusions outside were cool but just did nto fit his style and did not seem like him,. They seemed exactly like a blaine special when blaine was in the desert same type of landscape minimal houses and same spectator reactions. Also DC is a perfectionist and am surprised he did not edit the shadow.

By the way I know DC does not use camera tricks but rememebr at vanish in the voyer when he pulls away the sheet and it kind of goes in this slow motion special effect? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gupANtHInWc I personally am not a fan of these effects he even used it in the laser http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXB1mI1jlp8 I think it can make specs think it is a camera trick.

He even used these effects in his great escapes special (which I would love to get my hands on a copy) but some of the music was changed. I am not a fan of when people have an older taped piece and change the music I love when they keep it original. WWE does this on their DVDs a lot. I also don't like when they film a movie and have the same character with a different actor. I love when its kept original.

Does anyone else feel the same?

Chris Hrusa
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I feel David is trying his best to stay true to himself while adapting to the Magic Business that is changing with them newer guys, Angel, Blaine, Derren, Cyril, etc...

Not an easy thing to do methinks....

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
Not easy at all. That laser illusion is one of the best *** illusions I have ever seen ina long time. I was so upset when I went into a magic shop one time and heard a few guys discussing the method. Now this is one of those cases where I was blown away at an illusion and had no clue, I was thinking, BA and what not. Once I heard the method the illusion was instantly ruined for me. I did kind of feel like "oooooh so that's how its done, I am no longer baffled" but I really did not want tyo know the method my reactions were like "There is no way on earth that cold possibly be done" I found out how simple the solution was and now was thinking to myself if it is thaty simple I cant believe nthe spectators wont be able to figure out how its done I am just an idiot. But David would not puit something in hsi show with a simple solutuion. I can say that the laser was probably the last illusion I got that feeling from. And in reality I saw it 2 times and didn't know what happened until I saw it the third time where I was much closer to the stage. The first time I was wayyyyy in the back of the theater and the lighting was kin d of dark DC just had a spotlight on him,./ The second time I was on the balcony. There was som,e illusion that I don't remember what it was but it was talked about online that if you sat in a certain place in the balcony you can pretty much see the method. I remember being in the balcony and seeing the method.

Now on to magic exposure. I am, a magician and I don't remember what illusion this was or even the method. Now do you think the lay public would remember years later? prob not so that's why it is best to kind of keep the uproar hush hush and a lot of stuff will fly by the specs eyes and they wont realize it. I heard that there are some illusions that magicians will perform where a few people in the audience might get tipped to a tiny part of the method such as a story I heard about the Dakolta chair. I didn't believe DC would do this but sure enough I could see how it was done. As for to what illusion and how it was done I don't even remember now.

Good Conversation guys keep the thoughts coming its interesting

Chris Hrusa
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I also felt the exact same way when Tornado of Fire first aired. It certainly came across to me that he was trying to combat Blaine and the new "street magic" style by trying to bring in this element to his own show and TV special. My problem with it is that it was just 1) not done well and 2) it just does not fit his persona and stage personality.

David is David and what he does he does very well. I think he was foolish to try and attempt to take a step in a different direction by going that far extreme. It just is simply not him and not believable. I feel he could have tackled it in a much different fashion that would have kept him more true to himself.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
859 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
I finally got my hands on a DVD set of all of David's specials. I had bought a VHS set for $250 several years ago to supplement my set I had on beta and vhs. The DVD had segments from the Tornado of Fire that I did not see when it aired here in the US. (On one I believe I saw Chris Kenner helping Homer Liwag move some audience members around for an effect)

I agree with all of the above comments. I was really let down by this special. I am probably one of the biggest David Copperfield fans you will ever meet; so this isn't said out of malice. The 'stunt' was atrocious. I had no desire to watch it. I feel the same about David Blaine's stunts as well. (Even though I have warmed up to him as a magician over the years) I don't watch magic shows for stunts. I definitely don't watch magic shows for time wasted throughout the show hyping the stunt.

I felt this special played to a lower common denominator than his previous. The panty switch was pretty crass. Also, the 'voyeur' effect where he was watching two lesbians in bed was pretty low as well. (The vanish and reappearance was cool, though) Then the comments about these guys' nuts in the floating couch effect was uncomfortable. Heck, I don’t remember so much as a single cuss word on David’s previous specials (may have missed one) and this special had more than a couple.

Through the years David had made very subtle innuendos but nothing like this show.

I think someone commented above about David catering to the crowd to match Blaine, Angel, Derren, etc… I wouldn’t lump Derren Brown into this group. He still does a formal stage show.

I know David doesn’t have to do it, and he probably doesn’t want to go to all the trouble. But I really miss the yearly specials from him. People speak of golden ages of magic, to me, the early 80s-90s were some of the best.
All small town magicians know what 793.8 signifies.
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
859 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
I almost forgot the deflated ball an audience member brought up that was used among several others (all inflated) to choose audience members at random. David pointed it out and called it King Kong's condom.
All small town magicians know what 793.8 signifies.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » David Copperfield Tornado of Fire vs David Blaine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL