The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » The best selfworker is ... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Steve James
View Profile
Veteran user
333 Posts

Profile of Steve James
Well, in my opinion it’s "Easy Location" by Aldo Colombini which is based on a variation by Richard Vollmer of the old trick in Martin Gardner’s "Mathematics Magic and Mystery" book. Lots of variations abound. It’s called "Numerology" in Card College 3 {But that's not a self working version}

I think the version in Aldo Colombini's "Impromptu Card Magic" page 2 is the very best. With the correct words and presentation this is truly impossible, the method is so well disguised. You can even use a borrowed deck and you don't even have to look at a single card face for the spectator to make their selection.

EFFECT..
The spectator cuts off a small group of cards after they shuffle.
They count the cards {lets say 13 cards are cut off}
The performer shows faces of pack one at a time to spectator, they remember card at their number {7h for example}
The pack is reassembled.

You say to spectator "YOU shuffled the cards so the order was set by YOU"
You now reverse count from 10 -1 if a cards value matches value of card you stop and deal new pile.
You end up with three piles and add the values of cards on top of each pile lets say... 8H 3S and a face down card {That pile was killed, no matches}
You add 8+3 and deal those cards down and get rid of them.
How on earth can the NOW top card of pack be the 7H but, it is.

I like to stress that because the spectator shuffled THEY set the order of cards.

If you don’t know this one you will fool yourself when you try it. A beautifully disguised method.

This gets my vote.
Can be done with borrowed pack.
Spec shuffles.
NO setup.
Stunning.

All you have to make sure is that you have a 52 card pack, or if not 52 you can make an adjustment.

Don’t pass this one up. It’s in the Aldo Colombini book "The Worlds Best Collection of Easy to do Impromptu Card Magic" This collection also contains the Peter Duffie Lie Detector trick which is a dream to perform.

Steve.
a brown 1968
View Profile
Elite user
471 Posts

Profile of a brown 1968
Hi Steve ,

Having read your description, I went back to the book to find the missing elements.
Played with it last night , but kept coming back to the opinion - True method is hidden but it comes across as a puzzle , why the 3 piles ?? why stop when you do in each pile ?? I had no justifcation and therefore no magical premise - its still a puzzle!!. Time passed slowly , brain working overtime but still no joy , then my 6 year daughter comes in with a small toy and seeing the toy - the premise arrived in my head to solve the problem of the the 3 piles and stopping as and when you do. Kissed Tara and gave her a hug .
Steve James
View Profile
Veteran user
333 Posts

Profile of Steve James
It's amazing where these ideas come from isn't it?
PaulGordon
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of PaulGordon
Hi Steve,

If you like the principle used (Henry Christ), see my "What A Kick" effects in CARD MAGIC COMPANION and my "Strike More Than A Match" effects in CARD COLLECTIVE. They take the self-working theme a lot further...a lot, lot further!

Best, Paul Gordon
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
723 Posts

Profile of ejohn
Geoff Williams's "Devastation" from "The Lecture Your Mother Never Gave You" and, I believe, one of his DVDs.
Andrew H.
View Profile
Regular user
Elizabethton,TN
124 Posts

Profile of Andrew H.
Gemini Twins...I'll have to go look to see what book it is.
PaulGordon
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of PaulGordon
Gemini Twins is in Fulves' "Self Working" series, Vo. 2.

Paul Gordon
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
Both Devastation and twins are lovely effects... Although you have to have a good spectator who can concentrate well for Devastation.

Andy
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.
tltq
View Profile
Regular user
east coast
161 Posts

Profile of tltq
Fulves' "Self Working" series, Vo. 2. A.K.A. More Self-Working Card Tricks
a brown 1968
View Profile
Elite user
471 Posts

Profile of a brown 1968
Looking at a few old threads - Devastation received quite mixed reviews, hard pushed therefore to have it in the best ever category IMHO. Have not found so far any poor reviews of the Twins effect.
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
A brown 1968 - Don't get me wrong.. this kills.. just sometimes, as with every effect the spectator doesn't follow the instructions properly... But for a hands off, borrowed and multi shuffled deck effect.. it's a beauty.
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.
a brown 1968
View Profile
Elite user
471 Posts

Profile of a brown 1968
Hi Mescalitoeyes ,

I remember seeing the demo many months ago when it first came on the scene. The method was appharent from the first viewing. (This does not mean an effect is bad, far from it , layman don't think always like us) . I thought then, why take the card out and put it back again ? A small weakness but one I did not care for. Played with the effect at home and changed the handling a little to remove this weakness, so you would look through the pack once, name their card and also the original position if so inclined. No need to take a card out or ask any questions. Still did not care for the effect even then and filed it away in my memory . Tried to find the demo again just now but not having much joy.
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
It's not something I use in my show, but I still think it is lovely for those moments when someone hands you a borrowed shuffled pack..

might try your handleing out..

Andy
Glenn Morphew
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
486 Posts

Profile of Glenn Morphew
Anyone familiar with Bill Goldman's effect "One for the Money?" At the moment, I can't think anything else as strong... for the work involved.
Visit www.povmagician.com for
The Rub-a-dub Deluxe Suite
The Morphew One Hand Top Palm
Bob's 3 Shell Boot Camp and more...
a brown 1968
View Profile
Elite user
471 Posts

Profile of a brown 1968
Glenn

Correct me if I am wrong but "One for the money" has a sleight near the end, a bold one to finish with the card at any number .

Yes an excellent effect but fails to meet the rules of this list

Andy
Glenn Morphew
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
486 Posts

Profile of Glenn Morphew
Sorry about that Andy, I guess technically it is a move, although Goldman says to make it a gesture. It is one heck of an effect for as little work as possible. Sorry again for not meeting the conditions.

All the best,
Glenn
Visit www.povmagician.com for
The Rub-a-dub Deluxe Suite
The Morphew One Hand Top Palm
Bob's 3 Shell Boot Camp and more...
a brown 1968
View Profile
Elite user
471 Posts

Profile of a brown 1968
Hi Glen , no apology needed .

In fact it is such a good trick , that many people new to magic and looking at this thread , now have an opportunity to look it up.
fvdbeek
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of fvdbeek
The best self-worker is Ulti-Mate-M by Aldo Colombini .

Here's why:

- you use props that are not commonly seen by the spectators (jumbocards cut in four, that 's not the usual deck !)
- The spectator selects the cards by cutting the cards, it's very fair
- the magician fails to predict the right card (an anti-climax is always good to come back twice as strong when the real climax comes and it is funny)
- the real climax is something the audience has never seen before ( a strange card with a double index)
- for $10 you get the whole stufff !!
Look here: http://www.wildcolombini.com/cart/produc......s_id=198
a brown 1968
View Profile
Elite user
471 Posts

Profile of a brown 1968
Hi fvdbeek ,

An interesting proposal there ...

For me the best self-worker is one which you can use a borrowed deck if need be. It does not have to be even a complete deck or in particular good condition. Can be done walk around , at a table on the train for that matter . Can have different outcomes depending on how you present it and all the actions are natural and the effect receives a good respone from the spectator.

Ulti-Mate-M for me dose not meet enough of the above to make it the best as it lack flexibility.

Happy to be convinced otherwise Smile)))

Andy
fvdbeek
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of fvdbeek
>For me the best self-worker is one which you can use a borrowed deck if need be.

Yep, but that is another thread: selfworkers without a setup.

Frans
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » The best selfworker is ... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL