We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Illusion Through Expectation by Alex Moffat (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
This DVD contains over the top, killer, moves, techniques and routines. For the majority of the routines, you get two, live performances. The teaching by Alex is first rate.

This DVD is loaded with material. I've been getting allot of DVD's the past year. So are OK, some good and some are worth watching over and over like the Alex Moffat DVD. I only review the ones I love. It takes allot of effort to write up a review and I just can only get motivated to do it if I love the DVD.

All the shops have these. Here's a Youtube clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA7BtYOzLGQ

Basic Techniques section: Alex goers over techniques he uses for the material: Controls, Palms, side steals, etc. He has his own take on them, so I’ll list them.

The Side Steal: He shows a traditional Marlo type side steal, but then shows the one he uses in his work. Alex uses a back steal. I’ve not seen this anywhere and it’s quite deceptive

Tenkai Palm: Alex goes over getting into the palm, angles, etc.

Hot Shot Cut: Alex teaches what I think might be one of the simplest version this difficult cut.

The Drift Shift: This is a Jerry Andrus way of controlling a card. Another amazing control I’d not seen before.

False Riffle: UNREAL. Starts with the deck in new order; Alex does a one handed riffle shuffle that ends up …in new deck order.

Routines:

Guestimate - The Magician accurately predicts what number a randomly chosen card is positioned in the deck.

This is a nice routine with a chosen card lost in the deck, and an indifferent card finds it plus…you “guess” how many cards down it was. Alex uses the #35 because the revelations is so amazing, they will take your word for it. But…through experience he’s usually on the money, but also has some nice outs just in case they do count and he’s off.

The Moffat Double — Fast and flashy. A superb barehanded production of two playing cards in the blink of an eye!

WOW is all I can say. Magi dribbles the deck and the Spectator chooses two cards, in two different locations. The deck is tables and with the hands shown clean..BAM! A card appears in each hand.

Catch Me If You Can - Head down, eyes closed. Get ready to catch a card as it's fired out of the deck.

A chosen card is lost in the deck and…revealed in an amazing way, with your eyes closed.

Catch Us If You Can - Two chosen cards instantly fly up spinning from the deck, landing in each hand.

Same as above, but your eyes are open because…you reveal two cards.
Double Hot Shot: Two chosen cards are revealed with the hot shot cut. Finger flingers rejoice!

Barely Watched — A playing card vanishes in your bare-hands and then instantly appears under your watch!

This is a beautiful retention of vision vanish of a card and a stunning re-appearance.

Mate - A card is freely selected from the deck. Right from the start, in his hand, the entire time, and the magician is holding a matching card! No forces and a completely free choice!

A prediction is placed face down. The cards are spread and the spectator chooses ANY card. They match! There’s a simple sleight involved, but it looks so clean. He also shows a Lennart Green move for a variation.

Deal Or No Deal — From a shuffled deck, the spectator deals to his freely named card, then, unsuspectingly knows exactly where it’s duplicate exists in the deck.

It’s amazing that deck is shuffled by the spectator. I think mere mortals as myself, the card can be force.

Mofusion – Alex’s version of the fused signed card plot.
The ad says “Possibly the best version of the fused signed card plot. The ultimate signature card routine”.

Well, I’m a fan of this plot and understand liberties are taken by creators to describe routines on DVD’s. I don’t know if this is the “best” version as I don’t know them all, but HOLY SMOKES is this incredible. What a giveaway this will make!

Coin Punch — Alex invented this when he was just fifteen. He still uses it in his professional work.

A nice version of the karate coin. The hand shown empty threw me off.

Sh4des of Dobson - A three phase coin Matrix routine inspired by Wayne Dobson's version made famous on his television series “It’s A Kind Of Magic."

This is a beautiful, 3 phase, matrix routine. No extra coins or shells. Just beautiful!

Almo Wipe Clean - Inspired by David Williamson's "The Wonderful Coin Vanish."

Alex shows his hands empty front and back and produces a coin. It looks as wonderful as it reads.

Broken & Restored Glasses - A borrowed pair of spectacles is broken and restored in a split second!

This would be fun to perform. Like the gag where the lens falls out, this one the arm breaks off.

Trio – Here’s what the DVD case says “Three signed cards vanish from the deck. One appears under a glass, the second appears under the card case. Now, incredibly, the entire deck vanishes and then reappears inside the card case, which has been sitting on the table throughout the entire time. The kicker comes when the magician takes the deck out of the box, spreads it onto the table to reveal the third signed card face up in the deck!”

Well…it’s all true. It’s card under drink on steroids. It’s a marvelous routine for a group.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
bryanlonden
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
583 Posts

Profile of bryanlonden
Thanks for the review. Usually I'm not too excited about card tricks, but this sounds great!
NEW Conscious clothing to inspire yourself and others.

http://www.thisisdivisions.com
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Card Magic can be exciting or dull. It depends on the performer and the effect. When I watch a DVD and get excited about a routine(s) I think, based on my experience " would a lay audience be just as interested". Alex Moffat's DVD delivers on that.

Mo Magic
View Profile
New user
South Africa
11 Posts

Profile of Mo Magic
Hello Christopher

Thanks for the review.

Much appreciated

-Mo Magic
trickychris
View Profile
Loyal user
England
258 Posts

Profile of trickychris
GOT TO AGREE
THIS IS ONE TOP DVD
jawa185
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of jawa185
A bit off topic but what has the best card magic the trilogy or Illusion Through Expectation
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
This is such a marvelous DVD. Alex puts so much thought into plot and performance.

Alex Moffat
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Alex Moffat
Hi guys,

Now I can grab a minute or two, I can finally make my first time on the Café. I have been in the process of moving to Australia over the past month or so and haven't exactly had much magic time.

Now I'm settled in Sydney, I'd like to say a few things..

Firstly Christopher, thank you for your support of the DVD, it's really pleasing to have your input and continuous feedback on the DVD. I was so nervous about any kind of review and didn't expect such a glowing one above.

Russ certainly did a great job putting it all together.

Also to Bryan, Mo Magic (my nickname at school by the way) and trickychris, thank you for your comments too.

Jawa185 - I have Trilogy and think it's great.

Well first post over, thanks again and it would be great to hear from anyone who has gained anything from the project.

Cheers

Alex
Davro
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
319 Posts

Profile of Davro
Great review Christopher, thank you. Are the routines on the DVD within the realms of possibility for an average guy?
Best Wishes, David
<BR>
<BR>Mid way this way of life we're bound upon, I woke to find myself in a dark wood, where the right road was wholly lost and gone.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-10-24 10:00, Davro wrote:
Great review Christopher, thank you. Are the routines on the DVD within the realms of possibility for an average guy?

I'd say it's a mixed bag of average to difficult. I say that because I'm not a great technician because of arthrits. So, I can't make some moves looks as beautiful and fluid as Alex, but I can do many of them.

Dr. Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of Dr. Magic
This is another DVD I'm surprised hasn't gotten talked about more. His one handed faro shuffle from a deck in new order that....keeps the order doesn't seem possible. I've seen beautiful false faro shuffles, but this goes to another level.

I hope we see more of Alex in the future.
Alex Moffat
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Alex Moffat
Took 5 years Dr. Magic, but here you go - http://dnd.la/flux-deal, through Dan & Dave.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Illusion Through Expectation by Alex Moffat (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL