The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Poor Mage's Billet System (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1025 Posts

Profile of kannon
Elliot - And I've only just started on the the supplements!

With Christopher's book I will add: He's put together nice way to make the mechanics of switching very clear and become something to rehearse and perfect.

The switching - reading - switching using his switches and peek are so clean you could eat your dinner of it and almost clean enough to perform open heart surgery.

And the billet index is a dictionary definition of "hiding in plain sight".
My work and the Mtangulizi here http://kannonsworks.weebly.com featuring work on drawing duplications, a fiddle-free billet tear, bar mentalism, pendulums
sleightofhander
View Profile
Special user
618 Posts

Profile of sleightofhander
I'm new to using billets. I'm happy with both Switchcraft and Poor Mage's Billet System. It's amazing what you can do with a piece of paper.
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
979 Posts

Profile of espmagic
Ok, this'll say it all: I have seen enough billet work to know good from not-so-good, and things that I cannot use because of hand size or sleight requirements. This system is the best I have seen, bar none. And, having said that (and having poured through a lot of material over the years) I can easily add that it will find itself in the hands of most mentalists who are interested in a quick and to-the-point demonstration of mindreading that is easily labelled as gaff-free.

Your business card (which you want them to keep, right?) ends up being the center of attention, "locked", if you will, so that the impossibility of what's happening is magnified more and more, and the end is so clean that it makes me grin just thinking about the reactions I've already gotten!

Get this, learn it, use it, and come away laughing, and very, very happy...

Lee
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2315 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
Thank you for the kind words Lee! I especially appreciate the comment about "quick and to-the-point", which is what this system is all about. Cheers.

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
bofx
View Profile
Special user
France
509 Posts

Profile of bofx
Sound like Sankey Paperclip switch. Is it a variation or is it really new/different ?
My mentalism books: Mental Sweets 1 - Mental Sweets 2
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2315 Posts

Mr. Sankey's switch did inspire this system and I am guessing you know it. Reread the description above of what is included in the ebook with the switch in mind; I am sure you will realize that there is very little of it you could achieve with the switch alone. There is much more here. Here is an excerpt from the introduction:

"It will be of no surprise to the reader that this switch is inspired by the Paperclip Switch, which has been attributed at different times to both Alexander de Cova and Jay Sankey. The de Cova/Sanky switch achieves the objective of switching a dummy out of play in exchange for another billet, the contents of which are about to be revealed. As mentioned above, the CT Switch achieves the opposite, i.e. switching in a dummy for a live billet which can then be peeked or altered. In reading this, the difference between these two switches may seem trivial, but I believe you will find that they complete each other -- Yin and Yang -- and together form a powerful means of achieving almost effortless close-up miracles of mental magic."

All the best,

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
9 years since the last post on the The Poor Mage's Billet System, but I've only recently heard of it.

Between Switchcraft and King of the Billets, I probably have more billet methods and routines than I will ever need. Love and use quite often Elliott Bresler's wonderful EB Switch. Also getting pretty good with my Annemann switch.

Anyone have The Poor Mage's Billet System and use it?
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
I also don't need anymore billets stuff, but I am interested too...
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
brehan
View Profile
Special user
holland
668 Posts

Profile of brehan
Me wanted to order but the link is dead
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
It looks like Poor Mage's Billet System may no longer be available, as it's not to be found on Christopher Taylor's website.

But I did purchase Christopher's At The Table Lecture, and it is fantastic. Less than ten bucks for two and a half hours of teaching and performances, including some very nice billet work:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S22583
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2315 Posts

Thank you for the kind words Stuninger. Poor Mage will be available on the download page of my website by the end of the week. I will post a link when it is up.

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
That's great news, Christopher. I also plan to pick up one of your b*l*i* i*d**s. Very happy to have discovered your work recently.
brehan
View Profile
Special user
holland
668 Posts

Profile of brehan
Great news
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2315 Posts

The Poor Mage's Billet System is now available on my site. It has updated supplemental video instructions and a bonus handling. You will find it here: http://taylorimagineering.com/shop/poor-mages-billet-system/

All the best,

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
I've read The Poor Mage's Billet System PDF and watched the supplemental video. My initial thoughts are, I like this. A lot.

All you need are your business cards, a pen and paperclip, and with this system, you can perform a whole series of effects.

Unlike some other billet methods, all of the moves are well motivated and invisible to the audience. The heat is off when you get the information. No need to turn around or go to your pockets, no envelopes or wallets required.

The Poor Mage's Billet System is a great addition to my tool box. Lots of possibilities here. Once I've worked with the system more, I'll post a longer review in Mentally Speaking.
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Is this related to the paperclip move he teaches in Switchcraft?
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Quote:
On Oct 23, 2017, Last Laugh wrote:
Is this related to the paperclip move he teaches in Switchcraft?

What's taught in Switchfraft is just the first step in the system. The Poor Mage's Billet System manuscript and supplemental video teaches the complete system. It's outstanding.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Poor Mage's Billet System (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL