The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Worst trick in general use? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1706 Posts

Profile of Ross W
What do you reckon? My vote is for the Dove Pan.

Even as a kid, I saw right through it: "that cake was in the lid!"

It does not, I am convinced, fool anybody.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Interesting.

I've used a dove pan for years to bake a cake as a finale for a birthday party show (for both children's and adults' birthdays), and have never had anyone mention that they thought that the cake was in the lid.

Perhaps it has something to do with the skill of the performer.

Perhaps the same can be said of any effect.

Perhaps.
Jon Gallagher
View Profile
Veteran user
Elmwood, Illinois
395 Posts

Profile of Jon Gallagher
I'm not sure there is a trick that can be described as "worst." There are some pretty awful presentations, and frankly, any effect done badly enough could qualify.

Look at some of the stuff that Johnny Ace Palmer does. It comes straight out of books that I read back in grade school (ring jumping from one finger to the other). But his presentation is jaw dropping.

I'm also a firm believer in the old adage
"there's no such thing as a bad audience." I mean, do you suppose that 100 people all got together and said, "Let's be a bad audience tonight!?"
www.jongallagher.com

Hey! I'm finally a Dot Com!
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Jongallagher writes: "I'm also a firm believer in the old adage "there's no such thing as a bad audience." I mean, do you suppose that 100 people all got together and said, "Let's be a bad audience tonight!?"

:rotf: That's got to be about the funniest thing I've read here in ages! Very good!

On a serious note, I agree that there may not be a truly bad trick in the absolute. There are, of course, simply horrid presentations of many tricks - the dancing cane and the linking rings are two that leap to mind. But, as an old magician said to me once: "Every trick was done well by somebody at sometime."

(Hey, come to think of it, I suppose I qualify as "an old magician"!) Smile
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3051 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
My personal non-favorite: the 20th century silks with bra, at least as I've seen it performed.

But I generally abhor any effect presentation that embarasses an audience or makes it feel belittled or stupid.
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), and contributor to the ebook GOLD: When It HAS To Be Performance GOLD -- all at Penguin.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
Troublewit really ****** me off.
I just don't see the point or entertainment in it.
Phillip
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I have done the bra trick and yank it out of my own shirt. Now, that's funny.

I HATE tricks that affront the audience. I don't think anybody like an, "I'm smart and you are a bunch of morons" trick.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
On that note, I've seen a presentation of Hopping Half in which the performer was constantly saying, "Maybe I'm not explaining it right; let's start again: the copper and silver are in my hand." After the second time he said this it came across as, "You guys are too stupid to follow this, but I'm going to be polite and feign humility." It was awful.

I developed my own presentation for the same effect, but my sensei told me that it's so good that if I ever perform it when other magicians are around he'll kill me. Now, why would he say that?
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1280 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
Do tell! Do tell! I'm sure we all here can keep a secret! At least let us know what the idea of the presentation is? Maybe? Smile
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Dan,
That's great--the bra coming out of your shirt. Love it, Dan. By the way, I've got a cheap ticket to Sweden if you're tempted to take the plunge. (Ha.)
Best,
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Worst trick in general use? The tie for first place in my book is zombie and dancing cane.
Jon Gallagher
View Profile
Veteran user
Elmwood, Illinois
395 Posts

Profile of Jon Gallagher
Two BEAUTIFUL effects in the hands of the right person.
www.jongallagher.com

Hey! I'm finally a Dot Com!
Dave Egleston
View Profile
Special user
Ceres, Ca
632 Posts

Profile of Dave Egleston
When I first started about 13 years ago - there was an effect called "Cubio"

I bought it even knowing it was a terrible effect - My 4 year old figured it out immediately - (Despite my excellent presentation) - My wife (whom I can still fool with the "separated thumb" trick) knew how the trick worked almost before the 1st move

This is the reason I bought it - because it was so bad!

Dave
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
I see, the 'so bad it's good' principle. Also applies to movies.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Worst trick?

It always begins, "Pick a card . . . ."

0pus
Great Domino
View Profile
Special user
Canada
544 Posts

Profile of Great Domino
All tricks are good. Some aren't as "exciting" as others, but the trick is what you make of it. What's bad in one's hands is usually wonderfully great in someone else's.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2003-04-09 22:59, JamesinLA wrote:
Dan,
By the way, I've got a cheap ticket to Sweden if you're tempted to take the plunge. (Ha.)
Best,
Jim

Thanks but no thanks James! I like the equipment provided at birth, just not the wardrobe! Smile

Best,

Dan-

(man if my girlfriend reads this...) Smile

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
shinobi
View Profile
Loyal user
Durban, South Africa
272 Posts

Profile of shinobi
Just to add my comment regarding the dove pan, who has ever seen a pan with a lid that overlaps the sides of the pan? It looks proppy.
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1401 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Well, if your pan wouldn't wear those pink/green slacks and the Izod shirt with the cotton L.L. Bean sweater tied around it, it wouldn't have that problem.

Oh, wait...

I'm sorry. That's "preppy."

Never mind.
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
shinobi
View Profile
Loyal user
Durban, South Africa
272 Posts

Profile of shinobi
HEHEHEHE! Smile
that could look kinda cute.
I don't do cute Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Worst trick in general use? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL