The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Schoolcraft Closed? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicAggie
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of MagicAggie
Has anyone had contact with Schoolcraft in the last month or two? I have tried emailing and calling for a couple of weeks now and get no answer from either.

The phone does at least ring and not say "no longer in service". The emails are not getting bounced back either so who knows...

Just wondering if maybe they closed up shop?
Kevin Wiese
View Profile
Regular user
Richmond, Va.
187 Posts

Profile of Kevin Wiese
I've had email and phone contact with Chris and Brandon from Schoolcraft within the last two weeks. Don't know why they're not replying to you. Here's the contact page from their website:

http://www.coingaffs.com/contact.htm

They're also scheduled to be one of the dealers at the CCC in September.
MagicAggie
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of MagicAggie
Weird, I have pending orders (for 2 months now) and have heard nothing.
Kevin Wiese
View Profile
Regular user
Richmond, Va.
187 Posts

Profile of Kevin Wiese
They're doing some repair work on my flipper coin. The first few days of contact, they responded quickly. It's taken a bit of prodding in the last couple weeks but they have responded. Don't know what else to tell you. Good luck.
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
Paris - London
1486 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
I've had some problems recently with Schoolcraft because apparently thay have difficulties in getting coins to manufacture the gaffs... I had to cancel my last order.
Ben Batov
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
I have noticed that problem... The funny thing about being a gaffer is that you are in two businesses at once. First they are in business of sourcing coins. They need to find coins that are both functional and beautiful. This is not an easy task. Then the second business is then gaffing. I mean after all a great gaff does a magi no good if it's too ugly to take out of his pocket, or doesn't match the other coins in your set.

Shawn
Shawn.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
I just received a CSB set from Jamie. I waited around two and a half months for it.
Perhaps they've taken a bit of vacation time off.

Coin gaffing isn't something that requires a guy to give up living a half-decent life that includes at least one vacation a year.

I think anybody that orders thinking they're going to get anything in any less than three months is perhaps engaging in wishful thinking.

If you do get it inside of three months, then you're luckier than most.
MagicAggie
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of MagicAggie
I fully understand waiting and don't mind. This is my first order from Jamie.

There are a couple of things that make me wonder about the wait this time though.

First, my order was for 1964 Kennedy half dollar gaffs - Sun & Moon, Flipper and Expanded Shell. Just the stock stuff, nothing extraordinary. Second, when I was finalizing the order I got almost immediate emails and phone calls back from Chris. Then after the order was placed, she emailed me with confirmation saying the current turnaround was 2-4 weeks for my order. That was in July.

The wait is fine but some communication would be nice when it won't be in the timeframe they indicated.
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1890 Posts

Profile of tbaer
It would be nice if a few more coin machinists would come forth. It doesn't seem to matter who you go with, you will have to wait regardless of whoever you choose.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Not surprised that more have not come forth. It takes a lot more than just average skill as a machinist to do the coin gaffs. The skill level is actually quite high and the tolerances very small. Plus, the market is somewhat limited.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
Paris - London
1486 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Quote:
On 2008-09-04 14:29, ShawnB wrote:
I have noticed that problem... The funny thing about being a gaffer is that you are in two businesses at once. First they are in business of sourcing coins. They need to find coins that are both functional and beautiful. This is not an easy task. Then the second business is then gaffing. I mean after all a great gaff does a magi no good if it's too ugly to take out of his pocket, or doesn't match the other coins in your set.

Shawn

Completely agree with that.
Ben Batov
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
Paris - London
1486 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Quote:
On 2008-09-04 14:35, silverking wrote:
I just received a CSB set from Jamie. I waited around two and a half months for it.
Perhaps they've taken a bit of vacation time off.

Coin gaffing isn't something that requires a guy to give up living a half-decent life that includes at least one vacation a year.

I think anybody that orders thinking they're going to get anything in any less than three months is perhaps engaging in wishful thinking.

If you do get it inside of three months, then you're luckier than most.

Oh, I don't mind waiting at all. I usually wait 4 to 6 months for a set/gaff. Schoolcraft used to deliver within 2 months for all my past orders. But for my last one, after I had placed my order with their agreement and knowledge of what I wanted - and paid of course - one month later they wrote to tell me they didn't know how long it would take to find the coins needed because they were really difficult to find... (and I didn't order inca coins from the VIIth dynasty... Smile I just ordered soft morgan dollars...). Of course I don't deny the fact that soft Morgan dollars are difficult to find. I prefered to cancel and of course I got refunded within a day or two.
Ben Batov
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
Paris - London
1486 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Yes, Chris is a very nice person indeed. She did suggest I send Jamie some coins to work on but I did not manage to find some that matched the coins I had already purchased from him... and that they were supposed to have in stock... I don't sell morgan dollar coins full time so I decided to cancel my order for the moment...

Anyway, I hope Jamie's business will go on fine.
Ben Batov
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
I ordered and recieved a csb in quarter size last week. great service and fast shipping.
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1217 Posts

Profile of Wes65
Some time back I finally contacted Jamie after a very long wait. Come to find out my order had been stolen from the Post Office. He said it wasn't the first time. He insures everything he ships and keeps good records so he was able to replace my order with no problems.
Wes
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
Paris - London
1486 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Quote:
On 2008-09-05 10:51, B Hackler wrote:
I ordered and recieved a csb in quarter size last week. great service and fast shipping.

Well... looks like the service is faster on some coins... I'm glad you didn't wait too long!
Ben Batov
shaunproof
View Profile
Loyal user
Parts Unknown
222 Posts

Profile of shaunproof
Can you get your cash back?
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1550 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
I received my Walking Liberty expanded shell (stock item) within a month. So I am happy with the service they provide...

I may say that the market is not that small, at least a single email answer, 'Yes / No they are in / out of stock. Please send / do not send me money via paypal ASAP.' I have no choice and give the business to Schoolcraft with immediately reply and nice customer service.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

http://rubiksdream.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4824 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Schoolcraft rocks, the best. I have lot of fun with the "super" coins from top notch company, sure. Rolls Royce quality!
MortenN
View Profile
Veteran user
Norway
338 Posts

Profile of MortenN
The communication with Schoolcraft is working exelent right now, and my order is finish below 14 days.

-Morten-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Schoolcraft Closed? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL