The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Any unique jacket, trench coat or blazer design to share ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Symmatrix
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Symmatrix
Hey guys,

I am looking forward to making a new jacket. Any of you out there have any special or unique design to share? Or seen some other magician's coat ....

Please post here with link and site if possible..

Thanks

Symmatrix
What We See Is Mainly Depend On What We Look For.
Only Those Who Can See The Invisible Can Do The Impossible.

Symmatrix Magic
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
I just take a suit coat I wear to the tailor and have a few extra pockets put in. That is all I really need. If you were doing stage, you might need your outfit custom done. If you do stage you know what I am talking about. Either for the magic or just for a unique look.

Andrew
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
I saw a good looking jacket on TV the other day. Some guy going to the local TV awards. He had painted it with material paint. He had painted rough black lines all over it (breaking it into sections about the of an A4 sheet of paper - letter size to the Americans). He had then painted all different colours in each sction.

Looked really good, and you could use whatever colours/patterns you wanted. Not sure how much the paint would cost, but it would mean that you might be able get a jacket from your local Op Shop which would save a few Pennies.

Chris.
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
533 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
Do you realize that if you make up a jacket like someone else's "unique jacket," it will no longer be unique? Smile
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
Symmatrix
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Symmatrix
OK, Jeff is right...

making up a jacket like someone else's "unique jacket," it will no longer be unique.

Let post some ideas that you guys have that is unique and creative...not other people's ideas.

Perhaps we can have some other people design a coat, but we modify the deisgn a bit and not copy it totally at all.

Thanks

Symmatrix Smile
What We See Is Mainly Depend On What We Look For.
Only Those Who Can See The Invisible Can Do The Impossible.

Symmatrix Magic
BenSchwartz
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
499 Posts

Profile of BenSchwartz
I use a topcoat from Banana Republic. It is very cool looking. But of course I am going for a "Mod" style type of act. I ditched the tails about two weeks ago and completely revamped my costume. Hey tails were a great "beginner" costume but no, no way anymore will I ever be stuffed into them again.
"The experience of astonishment is the experience of a clear, primal state of mind that they associate with a child's state of mind." ---- Paul Harris
Corey K
View Profile
Special user
Rhode Island
502 Posts

Profile of Corey K
Jackets are a big part of a magician's wardrobe. It really can make or break an act. Obviously a tailcoat combined with a really fast-paced modern act is not going to look that great. So, I think you should look at your act and THEN decide on what to wear. You should also consider the fact that if you are going to be using doves and other similar loads you may want to stay away from a jacket that's really tight in the front, which would give away tell-tale signs that there is something there (bulging = bad).

I've been using a jacket from The Gap in my act. It's just a basic jacket, kind of a denim material but stylish and clean lined. It matches my style in real life and in my magic so it suits me nicely. The only additions I made to it was some dove pockets, some silk/ball/card holdouts and my always ready match pull.
Corey King
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I get my jackets at Good Will, or Salvation army, and choose high quality ones, with good linings and a dark distringuished color, or a tasteful visually distracting pattern like the herringbone jacket in my Avatar.

I usually buy a size larger than I normally wear, and that leaves room for pockets to be filled and not appear so, and space for topits, etc.

I pay $3-$7 for the jacket and somewhere around $45-$70 for sleeve adjustments (I like then a touch longer than "stylish" for using pulls and sleeving) and topits and pockets. I used to have a special flap all the way around on the inside that hid my match pulls, card clips, and coin clips under, but with the Cellini Topit design, I don't need that flap anymore as the topit acts just like the flap to hide a casual glance of the items available at fingertip.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
limhanchung
View Profile
Veteran user
Malaysia
342 Posts

Profile of limhanchung
Quote:
On 2003-08-20 12:22, BroDavid wrote:
I get my jackets at Good Will, or Salvation army, and choose high quality ones, with good linings and a dark distringuished color, or a tasteful visually distracting pattern like the herringbone jacket in my Avatar.

I usually buy a size larger than I normally wear, and that leaves room for pockets to be filled and not appear so, and space for topits, etc.

I pay $3-$7 for the jacket and somewhere around $45-$70 for sleeve adjustments (I like then a touch longer than "stylish" for using pulls and sleeving) and topits and pockets. I used to have a special flap all the way around on the inside that hid my match pulls, card clips, and coin clips under, but with the Cellini Topit design, I don't need that flap anymore as the topit acts just like the flap to hide a casual glance of the items available at fingertip.

BroDavid

A size larger?How many inches is that? Is it necessary?
I am also going to make my own blazer.
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
If we shared...it would no longer be unique ; )
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
King Of Pop
View Profile
Veteran user
Estonia
392 Posts

Profile of King Of Pop
Good point Astinus Smile

God Bless You, I Love You
God Bless You, I Love You From The Bottom Of My Heart
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Well I love you to King of Pop.................................................
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
kOnO
View Profile
Special user
548 Posts

Profile of kOnO
Quote:
On 2004-09-15 11:23, Astinus wrote:
Well I love you to King of Pop.................................................

Seems like you might make a cute couple
It is a lot easier to get older than it is to get wiser.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
A size larger is usually about an inch in size difference for women, and about 2 inches for men, so if you wear a size 36 jacket (US here now) you would look for a 38 to give you a more loose drape and room for the topits and such.
If you are going to go for wsomething differnt in styling or color, consider sewing the "shapes" of different colored, and maybe even textures fabric onto the jacket with a nice ribbon or trim along the seams, you would be very surprised as to how useful they can be, especially if you leave an edge open every here and there to act as pockets, even on teh outside! Not that I would advise this, but at a police lecture years ago (I hope my memory lets me get the names right!) , I learned that the old Manson Family folks did a LOT of shoplifting, and the one article I remember vividly was the Jean Jacket worn / used by Lynette "Squeaky" Fromm, it was a patchwork of very skilled and beautiful embroidery holding a myriad of different random fabric shapes and colors, and amost every one was a pocket for hiding her shoplifted items in!
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Any unique jacket, trench coat or blazer design to share ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL