The Magic Café
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Street Magic License (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
I am aware that street magic requires a license by law. I am wondering first off how do I obtain this license and what are the costs? Also, I am just looking at classic street magic and I have no clue how it works. Consider me the biggest newbie on earth to this type of magic. In other words, HELP! An tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for any help. I look forward to meeting "the group" here. Hope I am welcome.

Thank you,
If you get bored go to and watch some magic.

View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
It's a city by city situation. Some towns don't require a permit and some do. Santa Monica requires a $35 yearly permit. Other nearby towns do not. Where are in exactly in the southland. I'm in LA.
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Magicusa
Andrew, JamesinLA is right, some cities don't require a permit. To get one, call your City Hall. What I hated was that you need a permit for all the cities you want to work in. One permit doesn't cut it. What I did was to go to a business and ask if I can set up outside their place to help gather people there. In a way, I am working for the business now. That was how I got around the permit.
View Profile
New user
New York
63 Posts

Profile of flooglestreet
Yes, check with City Hall, and be aware that they may not tell you the truth. Street buskers are very low on the food chain so you may be told you can't busk when the real truth is no permit is required. Also, a permit may not work. I have heard of a guy in Santa Monica who listed a particular prop in his permit, and was closed down by the heat for using that listed prop. Don't let me discourage you, the street is possibly the best school around for learning magic. The best trick is making the audience appear. Fire is good, I've seen a successfull magician wave a juggler's torch to attract people and then discard it. Animals are good, a pet clothed in a way to highlight your theme or (failing that) in sunglasses and backward boxer shorts, (the tail goes through the fly) will help draw a crowd. Then select large quick tricks, stage effects without angle problems (linking rings are my favorite, but a freind got 'busted' by steel workers looking down over his shoulder) and close with a biggie. A strait jacket is worth it's weight in gold. Smile
If ya wanna be the Top Banana, Ya gotta start at the bottom of the Bunch (Johnny Mercer)
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Chi-Town is $50 a year.
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of magicman222
Ya, well I'm getting one for my fourteenth birthday, as is my friend Dan. Smile
View Profile
New user
Bolingbrook IL
79 Posts

Profile of amadrigal
On 2003-04-12 02:29, Dr_Zodiac wrote:
Chi-Town is $50 a year.

Thanks, you just answered the question I just posted in another forum.
When do you think you will be in Chicago performing? Can you let me know so I can see a street performance? Email me at

If you cannot convince them, confuse them.
Harry S Truman (1884 - 1972)
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Bolingbrook, we're neighbors! I'll email now...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Street Magic License (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL