The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Petition!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
The time and effort to purchase proffesional props? Umm, actually I am saving up now to get some lager scale stuff. I think saving up for stuff is putting in effort and time.

With the sword basket thread, is paying over a thousand bucks for a woven sword basket being professional? You are paying for the name that made it.

I never said I am the only one in the world, other people in this said the same things I have.

Who is to say I would never perform the Dekolta chair, or walking through a fan?.

In fact I even saw a brief clip last night of what looked like Andrew Maynes Razorwire, an effect I am currently working on building out of wood and metal, not cheap pvc pipe.

Why would he fake a myspace page for some of the members of the Café? Again I am not going to post names, so I don't get banned for inciting trouble.

Maybe that cup on your head IS too tight.

I am a teenager and I am ****ed off.
-Matt
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
"Maybe that cup on your head IS too tight. "

??????????????????????????????????????

What was that for!?!

Def. not needed!
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
I think that a petition is not enough: one of our associations should do an agreement with a lawyer for a class action against the network and not communicate about the case (even if the channel does) in order to prevent the channel advertising for it. We as individual magicians would not make any money, but our association and the lawyers would ... and the theft would stop.

Know-how is a protectable asset, even in the absence of patent. This has been won at court times and again.

The international legal ground is that whoever creates an economical damage is bound to repair it. Anonymously revealing private secrets in public has legal limits, as well.

Creators and distributors do suffer damages, as magicians buy less of the disclosed tricks. Magicians suffer a damage because they have purchased an effect which is no longer a secret. It is possible to supply statistics on trick sales to establish the damage.

The defense that the tricks are explained in books is not a valid excuse since people have to buy the book (and thus the secret) where on TV, they don't buy the secrets from the creator or the merchant.

It is part of the role of associations, like the IBM or the SAM, to find an aggressive lawyer who can base his case on the pirated downloads of music or films.

Actually, the network would not hesitate suing people pirating some of their shows without permission.

The petition is a good idea to serve as a base for a class action, but it will not produce any result on its own. Lawyers love such cases as it's potentially very profitable for them, and the protection of intellectual rights within the frame of the Internet developments is very much under the spotlights. Look at the case against YouTube: the channel was considered responsible. Push your local IBM or SAM (they made us swear secrecy when we joined) and push them as our associations might be interested as well in sharing some of the proceeding without the cost (covered by the lawyers).
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
When the items being exposed are legally in the public domain, i.e. not covered by an active patent, such as the DeKolta Chair, etc., there is no way to recover damages in this country. Perhaps it will work in France, but it won't work here.

Also, if the method used in the exposure is not the method used in the marketed trick, then you have an additional problem. There is now way to claim damages if someone exposes his own methods.

As I mentioned before, if the exposer is not a member of any magical organization, there is no way to punish him.

Even if the item being exposed is patented, there are quirks in the law that can keep it from being prosecutable. Take a look sometime at the books by William Pountstone. He purchased tricks from Abbott's and Tannen's, then exposed them.

The law could not touch him.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
[quote]On 2008-10-03 14:39, Matthew W wrote:
The time and effort to purchase proffesional props? Umm, actually I am saving up now to get some lager scale stuff. I think saving up for stuff is putting in effort and time.

With the sword basket thread, is paying over a thousand bucks for a woven sword basket being professional? You are paying for the name that made it.

[quote]
You are very lucky if you can find anyone who will make you a suitable basket for less than $1000. I performed the Indian Basket from 1980 to 2000. During that time, I went through three different baskets. The first one was stolen from me. I replaced it with one from India that cost me about $400 -- this was in 1987. Now the same basket would cost about $800, but the shipping would be prohibitive.

In 1992, I had two baskets woven by a local basketmaker. They cost me $450 each. Now, if I had been purchasing these for resale, I would have charged at least $1200 for the baskets, because these were "raw" baskets. They had no lining, they had no holes, they had no flaps, and they had none of the other necessary work that I had learned from twelve years of performing the illusion was absolutely necessary. I had two of them made, because I knew how difficult it would be to find another basket maker.

The first one I prepared lasted me for 8 years. The other one is still in perfect condition. And it's not for sale, even though I am retired.

Quote:

Maybe that cup on your head IS too tight.

That cup is a perfect example of a professional prop. It is one of a set of cups that cost me $1750. You will never have a set. So go ahead and be jealous.

Quote:

I am a teenager and I am ****ed off.

Don't be so proud of yourself. Take your rage and channel it into working out something original.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Defamation of Character.

The show has said numerous times that magicians are only out to cheat and decieve audiences for their money. The shows make us look bad. They are degrading what we do.

I think there would be a case for that.

But, it is over now.
-Matt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Petition!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL