The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Petition!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
j.i.s.
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of j.i.s.
In short words do not screeam to loud or better do not screeam at all.
I would like to say again what is best to do but again will upset mr.Laszlo Smile
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I don't think a petition is screaming. I think it is one of the quietest ways to bring a solution to the matter.
-Matt
CCPCris
View Profile
Loyal user
Alabama
280 Posts

Profile of CCPCris
Matthew W you made the comment to check out the Masked Magicains myspace, which I did. ANd as you probley noiticed as I did to, DC, Angel, Penn and Tellers and others were on his freinds list. But I will say this. This does not really prove anything. The reason is this. Anyone can make a fake myspace page, and pose as any celebrity in the world. A freind of mine made a fake Angel myspace page, and had tons of people convinced that he was in fact Cris Angel. The point is that the above mentioned magicians being a part of his freinds lists does not mean they are the real entertainers. How about trying to contact the above mentioned magians booking agencies and notifiting them that the masked magcian page is posting many magicians pages as a hint of endorsement. I know for a fact that if they respond to myspace that those are not the real enetertainers myspace pages, that MYSPACE, will remove them. Myspace has a strict policy about creating false accounts or ones that impersonate other people.
making the unreal, real...really!
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Okay, the Criss Angel one is from the criss angel website. The Jonathan Pendragon one, I have spoken to John about a show I met him at through that myspace.

I am just looking at the top friends, who knows who else is friends with him.
-Matt
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I went through his myspace page, and was shocked at what I saw!

I saw names of Café members! This is really upsetting. I do not want to hear anything about promotion and publicity. Why would anyone associate themselves with exposure like that is beyond me.

I won't list names, but if you just went through his friends list you would be amazed at what you saw.

I am really sickened by this. I thought this was magicians helping magicians. Maybe not.
-Matt
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Mathew,,,

Do you think we actually look at everyone who is on myspace?

I do not know 95% of people on myspace...

:)
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
You're assuming that the names you saw on the page that are from here are actually "magicians". Posting, or even belonging to the Café makes one a magican as much as sitting in a hen house makes you a chicken.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I only looked at the names I recognized and it was a big list, I don't want to post names. Some even have magic products out and hold conventions.
-Matt
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I would like to know who posted as Valentino.

This is ****ing me off now. I am trying to do something and everyone is putting it down, and now I have to go and weed out bad signatures.

If you don't want to help, don't sign. But don't try to screw this up.

Magicians Helping Magicians? Really? That is not what I am seeing here.
-Matt
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I guess nobody else here gives a crap about magic.

None of the big shots here want to do anything. I would really appreciate it if you had nothing good to say or do, not to do anything with this.

I am taking my time to try and do something. I am tired of being put down for trying to do something about this. I don't get it. You don't need to make people feel bad if you don't agree with them.
-Matt
gulamerian
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of gulamerian
When Val Valintino started this nonsense in 1997 magicians were up set. Everyone said it would ruin their lively hoods. As far as I know no ones lively hood was ruined except Valintinos. The night after the rings were exposed I presented mine. I simply said "for those who think they know how it's done, I'd simply like you to watch." They were floored. In 1997 when the Zig Zag was exposed, I continued to perform it. The audience had no idea. When people would ask how do you feel about the exposures I simply replied that the show lied. Magic exposure has been been around for years. Exposure is like a bad storm, it must be waited out. The public soon forgets also there are those who do not watch because they simply do not want to know. Drawing attention to the exposure only feeds the frenzy. One has to take a lesson from history. Ignore it and it will go away.
Magicque
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Magicque
Matthew, my friend, I guess you're pretty right...We seem to be about 3 or 4 magicians that don't want magic to be exposed the way it will be...
Hey!!! We are fighting against magicians!!! Can you believe it Matthew?! Or J.I.S.?!

So basically what our friend magicians here are saying is that exposure helps magic!!!! Oh yeah!!!!!

I cannot believe the stupid comments I'm reading here!!!

Ignore it and it will go away?! Exposure is like herpes man: It never goes away...
The only effect you are performing is certainly the Zig Zag so let other magicans keep their secret you idiot!
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
446 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
Quote:
On 2008-09-08 20:51, gulamerian wrote:
The night after the rings were exposed I presented mine. I simply said "for those who think they know how it's done, I'd simply like you to watch." They were floored. In 1997 when the Zig Zag was exposed, I continued to perform it. The audience had no idea.

-------AND------

Exposure is like a bad storm, it must be waited out. The public soon forgets...

Gulamerian, I have to disagree. I had exactly the same experience with my rings and TO THIS DAY, I can't pull out the rings without some in the audience pointing and telling each other that they "saw how that one was done from that guy...". Now, at the end of my routine, I have them fooled, no question there. BUT- the problem for me, and for you as well, is that we've had to do the routine defensively. At the start, the audience thought they had us. For those members of the audience, half the routine was lost because they were in that position at the beginning. Not exactly the best way to start a trick! When I perform something, I want to entertain all the way through. I do not want to be forced (again as you also were) to say "for those who think they know how it's done, I'd simply like you to watch." Really, you had no option- you HAD to begin that way because of the masked idiot!

And for those who say that exposure is like a bad storm and everyone soon forgets, well, I don't totally agree there either. You are correct in that one could probably do a shadow box today and get away with it. However, here's the situation that I am currently in: I have a huge run starting in October, which will coincide nicely with the premiere of good ol' Val's new shows. My plan was to end my brand new set with a killer version of the DeKolta chair. From what I hear, this is to be one of the first illusions exposed. Do you really think I can just go ahead and perform this, when a good chunk of the audience saw it exposed only the night before? Don't tell me that a good performance will pull me through- you know as well as I do that the DeKolta chair won't fly if the audience were to know that it's simply done with a t--p. Kinda loses something, don't you think? So in this case, how can I "wait out the storm"? The simple answer is, I can't! No time for that! I'm performing NOW! So, I now have to abandon the great sequence I had come up with and replace it with something that I hope doesn't get exposed.

Do I think we should throw a public fit and bring this guy more attention? No. I hope that no one even knows the show is airing and that it quietly just passes on by. BUT- do I think that we should just sit here and do nothing? Not a chance. I'm really bugged that this numbskull is doing this AGAIN and that he has dictated what I can and can't do in October. I'm quite perplexed that we as magicians are powerless to do anything legally. Are we sure?

Phil
Magicque
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Magicque
Phil, you put your finger on it!!!!!
Gulamerian, would you please change topic? pleasssssssssse!!!

But Phil, just remember that this program will once again be bought by other countries!!! It happened before! In Québec, they aired the four episodes!
There are a lot of tricks that magicans cannot perform anymore!

Imagine when the loser will show an Asrah! I cannot believe we will have to go through this one more time! Just remember that in the USA you are used to put people into court for any types of reasons!!!
In France the MM couldn't be seen by anyone!!!
You must do something!
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2008-09-09 00:37, freefallillusion1 wrote:

Gulamerian, I have to disagree. I had exactly the same experience with my rings and TO THIS DAY, I can't pull out the rings without some in the audience pointing and telling each other that they "saw how that one was done from that guy...". Now, at the end of my routine, I have them fooled, no question there. BUT- the problem for me, and for you as well, is that we've had to do the routine defensively. At the start, the audience thought they had us. For those members of the audience, half the routine was lost because they were in that position at the beginning. Not exactly the best way to start a trick! When I perform something, I want to entertain all the way through. I do not want to be forced (again as you also were) to say "for those who think they know how it's done, I'd simply like you to watch." Really, you had no option- you HAD to begin that way because of the masked idiot!

I was having the “Oh I know how that one’s done” remark given when I pulled out the rings long, long before any of the Masked Magician episodes aired. The linking rings is an old trick that has been exposed in countless books and magazines and has been a staple in many beginner magic sets. It was the first trick that was sold to me when I, as a non-magician , stumbled across my first magic shop. The masked Magician shows really has had no effect on my performing the trick at all. In fact I had an experience very similar to Gulamerian’s. I had a holiday party a week after the first show debuted. When I pulled out the rings I saw a kid turn to his mother and excitedly tell her he had seen how this trick was done. Naturally I picked him to help me in the routine. I linked two rings together and then promptly handed them to him to take apart. He, of course couldn’t as the trick didn’t work at all like the masked magician had told him it would. I eneded up fooling him more than I would have had he never seen the show.

Quote:
And for those who say that exposure is like a bad storm and everyone soon forgets, well, I don't totally agree there either. You are correct in that one could probably do a shadow box today and get away with it. However, here's the situation that I am currently in: I have a huge run starting in October, which will coincide nicely with the premiere of good ol' Val's new shows. My plan was to end my brand new set with a killer version of the DeKolta chair. From what I hear, this is to be one of the first illusions exposed. Do you really think I can just go ahead and perform this, when a good chunk of the audience saw it exposed only the night before? Don't tell me that a good performance will pull me through- you know as well as I do that the DeKolta chair won't fly if the audience were to know that it's simply done with a t--p. Kinda loses something, don't you think? So in this case, how can I "wait out the storm"? The simple answer is, I can't! No time for that! I'm performing NOW! So, I now have to abandon the great sequence I had come up with and replace it with something that I hope doesn't get exposed.

We have been dealing with exposure ever since Prevost and Scott wrote their tell all books back in the 16th century. Magic has survived.
I wouldn’t ever consider pulling an effect because it was exposed on a TV show. The first Masked Magician show had a viewer ship across the country so extensive that out of a hundred people in your audience may be one or two had seen the program. I can certainly live with thise odds.
These new shows are on an obscure network that no one watches and so the odds of having someone in your audience actually having seen these shows is quite small. I’m sure YouTube exposure videos will have a much higher viewer ship than this new special will. The shows ten years ago had Zero effect on the world of magic and so these new show will have even a lesser effect.

Quote:
Do I think we should throw a public fit and bring this guy more attention? No. I hope that no one even knows the show is airing and that it quietly just passes on by. BUT- do I think that we should just sit here and do nothing? Not a chance. I'm really bugged that this numbskull is doing this AGAIN and that he has dictated what I can and can't do in October. I'm quite perplexed that we as magicians are powerless to do anything legally. Are we sure?

Phil

Again the frst show had zero effect, why should this program be any different?
Magicque
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Magicque
120 effects will be shown. These effects will be sent to Youtube. The program will be sold to other countries.

Here,s your answer Payne.
stephane_arnow
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of stephane_arnow
Linking rings can be performed in a lot of versions, with new passes and complexes movements that the magician m.... even don't know or hasn't the talent to perform and show it. So it is right that his exposure give not a lot of problem.

But we speak about grand illusions effects !

And remember, usa is not the rest of the world. There is so much countries in the world who will buy and show the programm. Nothing do, and nothing doing by choice (with excuse : people forget all) is only a way to rassure you. Don't take ever your example, I can , like freefallilusion1, give exemple in contrary : Mismade is an effect easy to remember...
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Grand Illusion is different than effects based on sleight of hand, where there are dozens, if not hundreds of ways to vanish a coin, or hide it in your hand.

I can think of only around a half dozen ways of hiding a person. Some of them are impractical and not used all of the time.

If you don't think a petition will help and ignoring it will, stay out of this thread.
-Matt
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2008-09-09 12:19, Magicque wrote:
120 effects will be shown. These effects will be sent to Youtube. The program will be sold to other countries.

Here,s your answer Payne.

Much of the Masked Magician shows are on YouTube and it too was sold to other markets world wide. Magic is still alive and well.

We need to learn to accept the things we cannot change
Change the things we can.
And have the wisdom to know the difference.

Petitions and outrage only draw attention to this tempest in a teapot.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2008-09-09 13:32, Matthew W wrote:
Grand Illusion is different than effects based on sleight of hand, where there are dozens, if not hundreds of ways to vanish a coin, or hide it in your hand.

I can think of only around a half dozen ways of hiding a person. Some of them are impractical and not used all of the time.

Then perhaps that's part of the problem. Perhaps the age of the grande illusion is over and we will be forced to return to our sleight of hand roots. Perhaps we will develop new methods and actually be able to keep these secret this time. Perhaps illusionist will keep plodding on unchanged because these shows had minimal effect on the world of magic. Who knows?
All that's certain is that life is change and if we remain stagnate the world will pass us by.
We live in the information age and nothing is going to stop the secrets that many mistakenly believed to be secret from being accessed by anyone with a internet connection. That's life in the 21st century and we better get used to living with it as it's not going to change.

Quote:
If you don't think a petition will help and ignoring it will, stay out of this thread.

How republican of you Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Petition!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL