The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Petition!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I could not help but laugh my way through that video.
-Matt
Magicque
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Magicque
Payne, if the MM exposes the multiplying Bottles or your Sword Through Neck and if one day you hear a 6 year-old kid yell "I know how it's done!!!!" and people start laughing, remember these 3 names: J.I.S., Matthew, and Eric...

As I said before, we need signatures and we need to stand on our feet.
I remember tyhat before he passed away, Gary Ouellet write a TV-channel a letter against exposure. One of our finest creators did the job. He must be spinning in his grave right now. Reading stupid comments like "I don't think a petition or this or that will help" makes me sick, really.

Just hope that some guys here that take the time to answer their stupid comments would know how to read. Just change topic if you don't want to help!!!

English is not my main language! I speak French! But I could understand CHANGE TOPIC!
Eric
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Quote:
On 2008-09-10 01:10, Payne wrote:
Not necessarily true. There should be a balance between trick, effect and presentation. No one ever asks me to show them the sword through neck trick but always ask to see the Ram's Bladder Trick, which is my presentation for it. They remember it as a cohesive presentation not just a trick with a sword.

*EH!* (buzzer sound)

Without the trick and it's secret you cannot build the routine. The secret is what makes us magicians.
-Matt
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Payne,
The wise man once stated
"You can not argue with fools." Smile

Curtis once stated:
"You can not argue with the dancing banana." Smile

So Payne pick your fruit wisely.....
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Matthew,

What about the people think that your ACTION WILL HURT us? Is it okay for us to ignore them as you are stating that we should not ignore the masked magician because it is going to hurt us?

Never called you a fool or a fruit... Just said it is not wise to argue with one!
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
The ones who think it will hurt us are not signing the petition, not arguing.

I don't think a petition will hurt us. We need to keep this stuff to a minimum. Movie studios are working to keep piracy to a minimum, why should we not fight what is being done to us?

Payne said:
"Rising up en-masse only plays into their hands and gives them even more publicity."

If we end what they are doing, they wouldn't be able use us for publicity.

Everyone seems to fight about knock offs, I don't agree with knock offs, but why fight that battle? That is something that will never stop.
-Matt
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Mathew,

Lets say only 1 million people know about the masked magicians show. Now lets say your petition makes it on E! Entertainment news and on lots of local news.... Now 100,000 million knows about the show...

HMMM.... How many people do you think will tune in NOW?
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2008-09-10 09:31, Magicque wrote:
Payne, if the MM exposes the multiplying Bottles or your Sword Through Neck and if one day you hear a 6 year-old kid yell "I know how it's done!!!!" and people start laughing, remember these 3 names: J.I.S., Matthew, and Eric...

I already get 6 year old kids telling me they know how it was done. That's what 6 year old kids do. If you can't handle a kid telling you they know how a trick works then you've got really poor audience management skills and perhaps being a perfiormer isn't your best career choice.

Quote:
As I said before, we need signatures and we need to stand on our feet.
I remember tyhat before he passed away, Gary Ouellet write a TV-channel a letter against exposure. One of our finest creators did the job. He must be spinning in his grave right now. Reading stupid comments like "I don't think a petition or this or that will help" makes me sick, really.

Is this the same Gary Ouellet that feature many trick exposes (some of them the intellectual property of others) on his World's Greatest Magic specials under the guise of "Teach a Trick" segments? Seems you might want to find yourseelf another spokesperson for your movement.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
j.i.s.
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of j.i.s.
Very very wrong , you couldn't compare Gary Ouellet with masked idiot.
Dear Payne and Curtis I understand you very well ...your solution seem to be one of less worst thing and I would like for magic something better ...anyhow dear Matthew and Eric as you see nobody take care like you ...and please fellows we are the same baricade ...maybe is well to talk with Bill Palmer a little to send him an email
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2008-09-10 11:52, j.i.s. wrote:
Very very wrong , you couldn't compare Gary Ouellet with masked idiot.

But many people did. There was quite the outcry in the magic community when these specials aired. The outcry was enough for Tom Mullica to use it as one of the reasons he left magic and there are still people around today who think Mac King is a traitor to the cause for his many teach a trick segments.

This is one of the main obstacles in combating exposure. What exactly is it. It would be difficult to go into a court of law and tell them why one exposure show is worse than another without looking like a complete doofus.
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
Quote:
On 2008-09-10 11:10, Matthew W wrote:

Everyone seems to fight about knock offs, I don't agree with knock offs, but why fight that battle? That is something that will never stop.

The situation with knock-offs is quite different. For one thing, a lot of people don't know the difference between the original product & the knock-off. By bringing the situation to light, then we as consumers can make an informed (and hopefully ethical) decision as to which one to purchase.

There isn't a problem with a petition per se, but what you have to realize is the magic community has no weight with a network. 10,000 signatures (if you're lucky) is nothing to them. Also understand, we're talking about "reality television" which is all about controversy. Petition, protest, complain, however you state it, you're helping to add to the controversy and ultimately this shows viewership.

A network also understands that there just aren't that many "magicians" (hobbyist, pros, etc) to make a difference. How many magicians do you think there are out there? A million or more? Quite a bit less. I think you'd be hard pressed to count 100,000 - 200,000 TOPS.

It's also in the network's best interest to air these shows because they know magicians WILL be watching. They can't lose.

The Masked Magician shows started airing when? About 10+ years ago. At least 1998. It's obvious that this show works for the network and the sponsors otherwise they wouldn't air more of them.

Now this also brings up the subject of sponsors. Will you continue to buy products from the sponsors? Over the last decade have you been supporting sponsors of past MM specials? Do you even know who they are/were? Do you continue to watch Fox?

Finally, let's not forget about The World Alliance of Magicians who's goal is (and I quote)Dedicated to preserve the wonder and amazement of the Magical Arts for the general public, to protect the secrets of the magic profession from exposure and to reinforce the positive contributions of the Magical Arts to society.

Actually, yes you can forget about them because even with some of the top names in our business behind them, THEY even said it's not worth fighting the exposure and after a few years folded.

If signing a petition helps YOU sleep better at night, then go for it. Just don't be disappointed and waste too much time contemplating the fate of magic after this year's Masked Magician special and the one they will no doubt air next year as well.
Drew Manning
View Profile
Special user
Dallas, Texas
913 Posts

Profile of Drew Manning
Wow, that was lot get through, but I made it, so I'm going to chime in my two cents with a view point that hasn't been shared yet.

When a company buys adertising on TV or radio, they don't get to choose during which programs their ads air as a general rule. Let's assume I contract to buy 100 60 second spots over a two week period on the network for my product. The typical contract says 25 of the ads will run sometime between 6am-6pm, 50 in prime time 7pm-11pm and the reamining 25 will air in the over night slot from 11pm to 5am. I don't get to choose which night of the week or during specific programs. The only choice I have is time blocks.

As a result, my ads may or may not run during the time which everyone may choose to boycott and it was totally beyond my control as to whether or not the ads ran during the boycotted program.

That alone would render this petition ineffective if I were wanting to purchase TV ads.

If you wanted to send a petition, it would be better targeted to boycott the network who has full control over their lineup. However, as previosuly stated,the fuss that comes up from the petition may serve to drive more traffic to the show. Remember Janet's Jackson's Superbowl malfunction? How many people actually realized what they saw and caught it the first time? Probably less than 10% of the people who actually saw the incident. The rest of us who have seen it saw it on the Net or the censored TV shows when they talked about it.

Someone else mentioned class action law suits. Again, I just don't see that as a viable way to end the problem. Phillip Morris, US Tobacco and RJ Reynolds have all been hit to the tune of BILLIONS of dollars in class action suits in the past decade or so yet we can all still get a pack of Camels at the 7-11 if we so choose.

Also, if you are going to petition the networks, let's not forget to boycott the advertisers who run during World's Greatest Magic or Mindfeak because they teach secrets too.

At the end of the day, I am of the opinion that while exposure may ruin things to a small degree, the overall presentation skills of the magician will more than compensate for the lost secret if he's doing his job. How many of us have seen the big boys like Burton or Copperfield live and knew how most of the effects were done but were still blown away by the shown because of how it was presented?
I live my life for a layer of ice
Just like those poured by my bartender vice
Any taste of vermouth would be really sublime,
When you have a good martini time!

-The Reverend Horton Heat
j.i.s.
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of j.i.s.
Is very clear that is not well to atract the atention ...I hate the fact just these tricks will be in short time on youtube where you could watch it how you want when, you want ...is like you need an explanation and youtube is the solution for everything.
So in other words very few peoples will see these series but do not forget that masked jerk will want very very very much as his show to be buy it by a lot of televisions and in some years all thse reveals will be on a lot of TV and again on youtube.
So?
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
The solution to the YouTube reruns of this program is to monitor them and report them to MyNetworks TV as they will be in violation of that networks copyright and they should be able to get them pulled.

Don't view them more than one, don't make comments on them nor post about their locations as this only makes their numbers climb and encourages them to post more videos.
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I agree with you on that Payne.

But I am certainly not going to be watching this years Magic Awards. Why would they go to MyNetwork after they are airing all of this exposure?
-Matt
j.i.s.
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of j.i.s.
Well well there are some video on youtube with reveales from firt serion on Fox tv
I think is very well to send fox tv an email to remove it from youtube
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2008-09-10 18:39, Matthew W wrote:
I agree with you on that Payne.

But I am certainly not going to be watching this years Magic Awards. Why would they go to MyNetwork after they are airing all of this exposure?

Contractual obligations. Most of these type shows run on multi-year contracts.
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
That sucks.
-Matt
j.i.s.
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of j.i.s.
I just click on this american TV and I found that these imbecils have some very interesting specials with magic and World greatest magic ...afterthat I found a special with street magic reveal ...Incredibile incredible rude.
How dare ...This tv must to stay away from any Worl greatest magic ...I haven't words to say how imbecils could be to show a beautiful art and afterthat to distroy it. What a stupid peoples could manage this network.
How dare
j.i.s.
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of j.i.s.
How could be to warning this television that if they will continue with this kind of reveales will have closed door at World Greatest magic for life ???
The people who are responsable with this WGMA must to be warning to contact this TV no?
What you think ? or is again a bad ideea?
Thanks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Petition!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL