The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » After School Magic Class (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Rickbc
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Rickbc
Greetings....
I have been asked to present a class on Magic for our local school. The age range would be aroung 8-10 yrs. I thought I would teach routines like.

Spongball's
Rope (Professors nightmare)
HotRod, or simular
Thumbtip routines
and not sure what else. I wounder if anyone can help me with other routines.

Thanks all.....Rick
MB's effects are at
www.vinnymarini.com
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
The TT (we try not to call them by their full name in the open forums) may be a little large for their smaller hands.

Try and get a hold of Bill Abbott. I don't think he ever released it, but he has a book of tricks to teach children in situations like this that he showed me once. Maybe he can be convinced to send you one or market it for others.

I believe his emphasis was on tricks that the kids could make and not have to buy.

Good luck,

Rob
Rickbc
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Rickbc
Rob,
Thyanks for your responce, but how do I get in touch with Bill Abbott?

Rick
MB's effects are at
www.vinnymarini.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7409 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Another thread for you:

- Café thred titled... Teaching a Magic Class

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Another source of info would be the DVD on having a magic class at a birthday. It's pretty good and is by James... Can't remember the last name due to old age but if you do a Café search you'll find a thread or some info on it. Good luck with it.

jeff
sibbie
View Profile
Special user
East Coast
524 Posts

Profile of sibbie
"How To Teach A Birthday Magic Class" by James Munton is a great start. Check out http://www.magicsells.com/Magic_Class_DVD.html He is also here on the forums if you want to contact him about it.
jondark445
View Profile
Special user
717 Posts

Profile of jondark445
The Birthday Magic Class by James Munton is great....as is the rare one by Terry Parrett put out by Brian Flora years ago....

After school classes are tough...I did this last year....I used the Klutz Book of Magic as a sort of guide...though I did NOT do a TT in the class. I would always do a few tricks that I would NOT teach just so the kids could see the potential of a trick...and also focused on presentation....have them practice tricks on one another....make it fun....

--Jon
jondark445
View Profile
Special user
717 Posts

Profile of jondark445
TT...sounds kind of dirty if you read it quickly out loud....

--Jon
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
I would definitely do not tip the TT. You won't find one to fit their hands anyway.

I would not teach sponge balls to 8-10 year old children as I do not think most would be willing to put in the work to master a good vanish that is an important part of any routine. I think you will even have difficulty getting them to properly perform a simple French Drop Vanish of a coin, much less a more involved routine with sponge balls. You will just end up tipping the secret to a number of children.

You may also have a problem with Professor's Nightmare for this age group. I've even seen adults struggle with this routine.

Instead I would pick self working tricks or very simple sleight of hand and spend more time focusing on presentation skills, such as how to enter and introduce yourself to an audience, how to properly handle and display props, how to create a sense of mystery and suspense. I've had success teaching:

The Jumping Rubber Band - Simple Sleight of hand they can do
Four Ace Assembly - A simple one that starts with the Aces on top of the deck;
Threading the Needle Rope Trick
Clippo Cut & Restored Newspaper - They enjoy the craft of making up the trick with rubber cement and powder

Good luck.

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
LVMagicAL
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of LVMagicAL
Rick: I agree that James Munton's Teach a Birthday Magic Class DVD is a great place to start. I teach his Mr. Bagge` (I call it Mr. Zippy) to kids as young as 5 years old. I also teach paddle moves (in lieu of Hot Rod....I buy cheap paddles from D robbins), The Amazing Knot in the Rope Trick, Psychic Crayon Trick, Cut & Restored, Jumping Rubberbands, Cross Cut Card force and a variety of methods to divine the predicted card, 2 card monte, "reading with fingers (based on torn portions of an index card)......

I agree with Jim that teaching them presentation skills is a very important component. At one of my summer camps this year, we focused on presentation skills and the last week EVERY KID did a trick for an audience of about 35 parents and camp staff. We had worked on creating story lines, using sound effects, using volunteer/helpers, making the tricks unique, speaking clearly so the audience could hear them.....and other performance issues. Ultimately we had nearly 60 kids at the final end of summer performance and the parents LOVED the show! The camp officials were enthusiastic that the kids learned a variety of skills in addition to an appreciation for the magical arts.......it went over very well.

I also really like Will Roya and Joan DeKore's Tricks R Kids DVD series, available at many fine magic stores. You can check out the performance portions of his VD series on Youtube just search for "Will Roya" and you'll see a variety of the performance clips from his DVD series. You can probably figure out how to teach the tricks from there. That DVD series will give you a pretty good idea as to what kids in that age range can learn. Good luck!!
LVMagicAL
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of LVMagicAL
I bought a book on eBay a while back, entitled "Show Me How I Can Make Magic; How to Make Magic Tricks for Children". By: Hugh Nightingale Published by Smithmark Publishers a division of U. S. Media Holdings, Inc. 16 East 32nd St., NY, NY. ISBN: 0 8317 56 75 6 copyrighted in 1996. Sory....I don't see a suggested retail price on the book.

This book would be excellent for those situations where you want the kids to use arts and crafts time and skills to make magic props for subsequent use. It also featues some tricks with items found around the house. It is suggested to be used for kids ages 3-7 with adult help and for older kids with minimal supervision. Although I've not used any of the suggestions in the book (I've got plenty of other sources to draw from) this looks like an excellent resource for those who want to teach magic to the youngsters.
LVMagicAL
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of LVMagicAL
I just checked Amazon.com for the above mentioned book. They have a couple of private booksellers offering copies for as little as $.36....that's right 36 CENTS (plus shipping of $3.95). Well worth the price. I'm sure I paid $15.00 or more when I saw it on eBay a while back......oh, well.....
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1779 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
I have a DVD set on magic classes that I taught at Summer camp. It's 8 DVDs, 23 classes, all one-hour each. There are 8 different classes, taught to 3 different groups. It might give you some inspiration.

As for what tricks to teach, I found the children really love simple sleight of hand with a ring or coin. Some loves to perform the cut and restored rope and others liked the cups & balls. Take a wide variety so that you can entertain all children and all ages.

Steve
DreamBig
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of DreamBig
I was about to say... He wants to teach them my whole act.
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
773 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
Yeah me too Dream big.......
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Thank you for the kind words about my DVD everyone!

I agree with Jim Snack that Professor's Nightmare, Sponge Balls and Thumb Tips are NOT appropriate for this age group.

Please don't simply do an "exposure" type class. Make sure it is hands-on and that the material you teach is within the ability of all the kids. Teaching magic is great fun and very rewarding, but you do have to choose your material with care.

Good luck!
James
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7409 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
In addition to considering what they are developmentally able to perform, you also have to consider the cost.

Is each student paying a materials fee?

How much profit are you making on the materials, or on the class?

Some people give away too much stuff, and it cuts into their profit. Sometimes it's done without consideration of the cost.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Rickbc
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Rickbc
Thanks to all that have responded. The school is paying me a small amount, It;s not about the money, it;s about providing a after school activity. They are also giving me a fee for supplys.

I just need advice on simple routines that they can preform without me having to purchase and DVD's that I can't afford.

Thanks again....Rick
MB's effects are at
www.vinnymarini.com
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2732 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello Rick:

The Mark Wilson Course in Magic is an excellent resource for magic classes - I was at my local public library a week or so ago, and checked the magic book section and they had it. So, your local library might have it as well. Even if they don't, there are quite a few magic books in the youth section of just about any library that will give you a lot of material.

For that age group, which sounds like 3rd, 4th, and maybe 5th graders, I would stick will almost entirely self-working effects - effects which take little or no mechanical ability.

If the supply fee will cover it, a deck of cards for each students is a good use of the money. Almost all dollar stores that I've been to will have two decks for a dollar.

Ron
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Does anyone have a link to a US site that sells ALL four volumes of Will Roya's "Tricks R 4 Kids" dvd's? I only see sites that sell one or two. Thanks!
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » After School Magic Class (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL