The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Trying to do magic to music. Good idea. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Hi,

I'm currently trying to work a few magic tricks set to music into the first part of my kids show, after watching too many David Ginn dvds. I am talking too much at times and thought it would be nice to try some-thing different. And there are over 64 languages here amongst my potential audience, so I wanted to establish my magical credentials straight away with five or six quick tricks to music.

After talking to other magicians I've watched the youtube video of Teller doing "the magic we hate" which seems to feature the appearing flowers, silks, canes etc I was practising with. Obviously, they aren't amused at this kind of magic, although Teller does it very well.

What do people think? I'm having fun practising - especially now the canes are softer (it's much hotter here in Kuwait than Essex so they seem to appear / vanish much more quickly) - but will this set of tricks add value to a kids show?

Or does some-one have suggestions for music?
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I open my show to music with a cane to silks, silks to streamer (change bag), bubble gum coil from assistants mouth, and a silk fountain. I don't really care what other's think, the kids seem to love it.

I then close the show with a chair suspension done to music.

I think the music adds a lot to the performance.

Jim
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2279 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Music can add a great deal to your show. You can use it for a warm-up, a climactic finish or to change the pace in the middle of your show. You'd be surprised at how many effects can be done to music with a little imagination. And that’s a good point about the language barrier. I think you're on to something here.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Here is a good book, dated, but the advice is sound, that is if you can find it:

Getting Your Act Together: Producing An effective Magic Act to Music by James Alburger, 1978, Hades Publication ISBN: 0-921298-30-7

In there he suggests it is easier to find the music first that you want to get across, setting the mood for the rest of the show, (Mystery, excitement, surprise, etc.) It should be faced paced and upbeat.

Once you found the opening music, then apply the magic routine to that music.

Below is s "Shape of my Heart" by Shawn Farquhar on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkYNAwdFH9M

I am studying how music effects a person. Even though this video is not a Children Entertainer trick, it clearly demonstrates the importance of the right piece of music, with the right routine, with the correct emotional effect. This is the goal you want to establish. And yes, music crosses many cultures.

In essence, you will be viewing a "ballet of card manipulation" in perfect timing with the music, the words, and hearing the emotional response from the audience.

To get the correct opening effect in a children's show will require some imagination and the right piece of royalty free music.

Dennis
Dennis Michael
Dal
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, TX
124 Posts

Profile of Dal
Hi Dennis (and everyone)—

Shawn has clearly created a strong emotional connection between magic and music with his Shape Of My Heart routine. Thanks for sharing his video. He is one of my favorite performers in any genre.

I recently came across another performer’s video that does that same thing…at least for me. His name is Jason Jacobs and you may have met him at KIDabra last month. You can find his video at

Shawn has clearly created a strong emotional connection between magic and music with his Shape Of My Heart routine. Thanks for sharing his video. He is one of my favorite performers in any genre.

I recently came across another performer’s video that does that same thing…at least for me. His name is Jason Jacobs and you may have met him at KIDabra last month. You can find his video at

http://www.abratube.com/index.php?option......k&id=179

You have to get past the late night ramblings in the first minute of the video so wait until the music starts. If Shawn is “ballet” then Jason is modern dance.

…of course, this is just my opinion.

Enjoy—

—Dal Sanders

You have to get past the late night ramblings in the first minute of the video so wait until the music starts. If Shawn is “ballet” then Jason is modern dance.

Enjoy—

—Dal Sanders

Enjoy—

—Dal Sanders
Dal Sanders International Comedy Magician and Illusionist Based In Dallas, TX

The Society of American Magicians Past National President
M.I.M.C.*
Dal
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, TX
124 Posts

Profile of Dal
I don’t know how all that repeating of my last paragraph happened…must be Ghosts in the Machine.

—Dal Sanders
Dal Sanders International Comedy Magician and Illusionist Based In Dallas, TX

The Society of American Magicians Past National President
M.I.M.C.*
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
I would strongly recommend that you pick up the book "Foundations - The Art of Staging Magic" which is by Eberhard Riese. This book is just an unbelievable resource for any stage/platform performer who wants to build a creative and original magic program.

In the foreward of the book Jim Steinmeyer describes this book as an amazing tool for which magicians can use to maximize their own efforts and become more creative, determined and innovative. This book is the real deal for those who are willing to take the time and effort and become serious about their magic. In his book he talks about the appropriate use of music/magic for almost 15 pages. In doing so he gives specific examples from DC and other top name acts.

jeff
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2279 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Jeff,

Do you have this book available in your shop? If so, consider one sold.

Mr. Rieses's lecture at the IBM/SAM convention was one for the highlights of the entire week. But for some reason he only had about 4 books available for sale, which sold promptly of course.

Dennis,

Thanks for the "Getting Your Act Together" recommendation. Your right, just because a book is dated doesn’t mean it is not valuable. By the way, at the above mentioned convention, I got to see Shawn Farquar perform the "Shape of My Heart" act live. What a brilliant idea and a great example of how music can enhance your act and your skills.

Magiciansapprentice, I hope your taking notes! Smile
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Thanks for all the recommendations and I'll do my best to log on and watch the videos, when the internet is working properly. (It's Ramadan here.)

Books will have to wait as postage to Kuwait is very unlikely. Five parcels have been returned to THE USA and UK in the past two years without ever getting to me. I did though bring back a set of Rice Silk Encyclopaedia's and David Ginn's books. I'll keep refering to the later.

Any suggestions for music? for a kids show act??
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Quote:
On 2008-09-11 07:09, Ken Northridge wrote:
Jeff,

Do you have this book available in your shop? If so, consider one sold.

Mr. Rieses's lecture at the IBM/SAM convention was one for the highlights of the entire week. But for some reason he only had about 4 books available for sale, which sold promptly of course.

Dennis,
...I got to see Shawn Farquar perform the "Shape of My Heart" act live. What a brilliant idea and a great example of how music can enhance your act and your skills.

I don't have one of the Foundations books and off the top of my head I think that I bought it from H & R magic book store. I'm not surprised to hear that Riese's lecture was so well received.

As for Shawn's card routine...it's simply brilliant.

jeff
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
At the Ventahven convention in 2007, there was a great lecture on using music in your show. As a ventriloquist, I use music to bring each character on and off. I use music when "going to get" helpers and a special music when I do the mask routine.

The music I use for that (while I get the person ready) is the theme from the TV show that was my inspiration and the man who became my hero, my mentor and my friend - the late Peter Rolston.

The piece is known as the Whistling Theme and was first used on Disney's animated Robin Hood.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
The "Zombie" and "The Thing" are two good tricks that can be performed easily to music.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
There she is again - DynaMike, do you perform the chair suspension with your assistant lying on the board as shown?

Thanks, Jim
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Below is a thread I wrote many years ago.

My Research on Music for Magicians. I wanted to know how to apply music to my Magic and Magic Show.

• 1. Gary Ouellet's Designer Textures for Magicians
  • 2. Richard Wayne's Instrumental Music for Magicians
  • 3. Richard Allen's Music for Magicians
  • 4. Jeff Hensley's More Music for Magicians
  • 5. The Music of Lance Burton
  • 6. Arthur Stead Music for Magicians

Many, many years ago I got clips of Classical music, used music like 2001 Space Odyssey for the Zombie, or Star Wars when it was first popular. Since these musical clips had legal copyrights, I could not do my act for TV or Professional Stage work. They didn't fit perfectly but they were good, better than nothing.

I purchase Lance Burton CD recently, and played it at least a hundred times because it has great music for illusionists. His Video is also good and you can see the change he did with the music in the Video. Well, that music is his and copyrighted so its doubtful he will let you use it.

In my quest to find good royalty free music, I came across Richard Wayne's Instrumental Music for Magicians. There are four volumes, each different, and each are great clips of music, but I didn't understand how to use them. Some could be immediately used other were only short clips.

Along came Gary Ouellet's Designer Textures $100.00 CD, Should I chance it? Well after a call to Gary, I was advised to purchase his $50 book and cassette tape related to the subject of developing music, and the CD, royalities, and other copyright and legal stuff. Well, that booklet was very enlighting, and felt it was worth the money because I learned more from that book then anything else. He explained how music for magicians was designed, and how to use it professionaly. He demonstrated how he combined Richard Waynes music for a magic act. I learned words about music I never knew, Dromes, Soundscapes, Hits and Effects, and Production Music. A $150 educational lesson on designing music for magicians. To me I was satified for what I learned. My work was cut out for me.

After the education lesson, I replayed Lance Burton's CD and understood how it was done.

My son at college played a lot of "trance" type music which was developed the Gary Ouellet way. I got an education from my son on computer music design programs, which combined the clips, repeats of clips backgound drone sounds, all done through computer software, such as Acid, and Sound Forge. These programs are needed to combine the textures and sounds from Richard Waynes and Gary Ouellet supplied music clips, to creat an original work musical art for the particular act (illusion) you decide to do.

The following links educate you on the area of adding music to your act (if they are astill working):
Gary Ouellet's Designer Textures for Magicians
Richard Wayne's Instrumental Music for Magicians
Opus Production Page
ShowPro Theater Music Software
Showtech
Remote Control Show Excellent Information
Music Magic
Music for Magicians & Jugglers
Arthur Stead Music for Magicians

Music is like Magic, it is individual, and I own the above CDs. I like Richard Waynes stuff and I learned a lot from Gary Ouellet's Material. I bought music which will be thrown into the drawer because I don't think I could ever use it. To weird, or to old fashion, just like buying useless magic.

I hope this post is informative.
------------------------------------------
Quote:
Any suggestions for music? for a kids show act??

Since you are new, you need to test drive a routine dsigned with music.

I absolutely recommend you try one of Arthur Stead's CD designs. He provides the music and script, you provide the trick. You will learn right from the start, how music and magic go together.

The "Magic In You" and "Star Closer" are powerful music routines by Arthur Stead.
"Bunny Love" is a close-up & stage Sponge Rabbit music routine composed for me by Arthur Stead.

This will be Iming and resheral are extremely important.
Dennis Michael
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-09-11 16:33, jimhlou wrote:
There she is again - DynaMike, do you perform the chair suspension with your assistant lying on the board as shown?

Thanks, Jim

No, I always use someone from the audience for Chair Suspension. I use an assistant for levitation.
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Thanks Dennis,

that's a lot of helpful advice. Especially about royalty free music, so I'll stop trying to find the right commercial track.

I picked up Arthur Stead's Magic Christmas cd at the FCM this year. I'll give it a go.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

I picked up "Foundations - The Art of Staging Magic" by by Eberhard Riese as suggested. It looks promising, however, already there are sections I disagree with.

Related to music, Riese indicates in his music section NOT to use Royalty Free music, but to use Show tunes which fit and have be edited. He does give David Copperfield use of "modern" hit tunes in his illusions as an example of proper use of music.

Riese supports using copyright music but says nothing about the "legality of it's use" Since it was written in Germany, I would think the same rules apply there, as here. He also supports not using any other music that is used by other magicians. That would mean great audio-enhanced routines would be out according to Riese.

Yes, there is a of of good information in this book from a director's point of view, however, like most books, what is stated should not be taken as absolute truth, there are exceptions. Riese talks about Tape recorder and not about CDs and the modern technology. Is what is being said "out-dated?"

Ideally the perfect music would be the one that is written for the specific routine, like those written by Arthur Stead.
Dennis Michael
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I use music throughout my show beyond my introductions and closing (Magic Enhancer, etc.) I have music bumpers between each routine to give me a brief moment to change props, bring spectators up, etc. I just scanned my current routines and found 7 that are done to music (Bowl-a-Rama, Miser's Dream, Dancing Hank, Salt Pour, Devil's Reflection, Floating Table and Snow Animator.) I use a program called Soicfire Pro ( http://www.smartsound.com/ ) which permits me to create customized royalty free tracks to any style music at precisely the duration I'd like. I usually end up with 5-10 different styles of tracks to work before making my final selection for my routines. I hope that helps.

Dan.
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Thanks Dennis and Dan for the update.

You've got me thinking that Music should be in all parts of my show now, so it was worth posting here. My choice of music is normally pretty cheesy (eg Queen 'It's a kind of magic' was one track I used in 1991 for a sword through box routine!!) so I'm favouring using Stead's royalty free music.

Dan, I'm also interested in music and IT so I'll have a look at this program; it has to be cheaper than the Chopin 8 program my orchestra mates use.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Trying to do magic to music. Good idea. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL