The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Workers vest (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
kid iowa
View Profile
Loyal user
Oklahoma
300 Posts

Profile of kid iowa
Busker Vest Review:

I’m not a full time busker, and I barely qualify as a part time busker, but I’ve been working with BMav’s Worker’s Vest for close to 2 months, I have to say that I love the thing.

The quality is top notch. Double, and sometimes triple stitched, this vest is going to last a long long time. The material is just the right weight, not too hot in the summer and holds up to the fumbling and stretching as you get used to it. I’ve had regular vests that last only hours as the stitching begins to pull from the constant loading and unloading into pockets. This vest is going to last a long long time.

The topits on both sides are deep and open up to the outside pockets, making ditching and retrieving objects a breeze. I’ve been using these pockets for carrying the final loads in my cups and balls routine in lieu of a pouch, and the vest doesn’t bulge or float away from the body due to the extra weight. I have fairly wide hands and the outside pockets are nice and wide, I don’t have any problems at all retrieving the loads.

The only modification that I added to the topit was the addition of a small magnet that I had sewn into it on the inside to hold it open. This was a Cellini idea on his topit work that I had totally forgotten about until Bobby clued me into it. No need to tuck the top part into the pants like the Ammar style.

There is a flip stick pocket along the back of the vest that is a dream to work with. Imagine being able to do the flip stick move and showing both hands empty without any cover, and then retrieve the wand again at will. Now you can do that, and the angles are excellent (good crowd management will make this virtually angle proof).

There is a top left breast pocket that can be opened up on the inside to act as a load into the topit, and can be accessed from both inside and outside the vest. I’ve been working this as a dead simple card to sealed envelope. The pocket loads the card right into, and it’s almost criminal how easy it is.

I have two thumb tip pockets, one on each side of the vest for easy loads and ditches. No more fumbling in my pockets trying to get it on my thumb properly, now I just casually drop my thumb in the pocket and its good to go 100% of the time.

Bobby has hit a homerun with this vest. The construction is second to none and the quality is what you expect from a working busker who knows the rigors that equipment goes through on the streets performance after performance. Everything on the vest has been thought out and carefully planned, and the people out there grinding out show after show are going to love the construction and ease of use. This vest is for a worker, made by a worker. It has my highest recommendation.

Available at http://www.buskergear.com/

Tell him kid iowa sent you!
Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile...can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." J.F.K.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
How are you going to use the topits with the vest button? Seems to be more like vesting to me.

ray
Dave McFarland
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, OR
184 Posts

Profile of Dave McFarland
I recently got one of these vests as well. It's really well made and chock full of secret passages. The ability to drop something through the top front pocket, into the topit below and then retrieve it from the lower pocket is a dream come true for me.

It's made of a cotton material, so it's definitely for busking, not so much for formal wear, but Bobby told me that they're working on a more formal version of this vest.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

So you cannot really topit? Just drop things?
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
498 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
It looks like the vest is meant to be worn unbuttoned. Like a busker during a long shift on a hot day might unbutton his vest and leave it open. In that position, the topit can be used in almost the same way as an unbuttoned jacket(perhaps it doesn't have quite as much cover as a jacket, but...)

Unfortunately I don't have one yet. My thoughts above are from looking at the web site and making assumptions. It is on my "to buy" list.

Bill
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

I think that you are correct about having the vest open. A vest is meant to be button not flapping in the breeze! LOL

Having your vest open would make you look unkempt and tacky!

If a performer doesn’t take the time to BUTTON his vest then they may not be what a paying customer wants.

Just looks like a person don't care about their appearance! Probably don’t wash their hands after using the restroom either! Get my point?

I will pass on this one

ray
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
498 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
I get your point, Ray, and I agree that you should pass on this item. It certainly does not seem right for you.

I, on the other hand, think that with the right character, an open vest can be made to work. It obviously wouldn't be the neat and tidy "professional performer" character. Or any character that obviously pays a lot of attention to his appearance. But I can think of several characters (aside from the long-hours busker character that I mentioned above) who could absolutely make this utility item work for them. I'm still set on trying it myself.

Bill
Dave McFarland
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, OR
184 Posts

Profile of Dave McFarland
Yes to utilize the topits as you would a traditional topit, you need to leave the vest open, so in that way you do need to take a casual attitude about it. For a lot of street performers, I've seen that would still work.

But you can also use the topit in other ways: to carry loads which you can access from the front pockets, or even as the destination for a pull. The left topit can receive props dropped into the top pocket and then retrieved from the front pocket. There also a few other things like the flip stick pocket that work fine with the vest buttoned.
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3687 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Of coarse you wear it un buttoned. Geeeez, what the??? In hotter climates people wear open or buttoned vests to dress up a T-shirt or casual shirt its not like you're wearing a vest open with a suit at a formal occasion. The washing the hands comparison ????? hmmmm, very strange, I wont even go there.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-09-19 16:31, takeachance wrote:
Of coarse you wear it un buttoned. Geeeez, what the??? In hotter climates people wear open or buttoned vests to dress up a T-shirt or casual shirt its not like you're wearing a vest open with a suit at a formal occasion. The washing the hands comparison ????? hmmmm, very strange, I wont even go there.

LOL... I never heard of dressing up a t-shirt before, that is funny. Reminds me of the old TV show 'Alice' with the handy man who dress just like that! He really didn't look professional. More of the beer for breakfast type of guy. LOL

I also live in a hot area of the states and the only vests that I see are on guys that are packing heat. LOL

Still I think that it looks tacky but then again I am a tie type of a guy. LOL
To me it just looks like a bum trying to pan handle. It is a look that I do not want to be seen in. LOL

best
ray
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3687 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Man, you're one stiff dude! LOL do you iron your underwear?
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

No my wife does and my t-shirts. LOL

I am not knocking the look if that is what fits ya. It isn't for me. If a vest has buttons then it is meant to be button!

I started working with a topit back in 1980 along with the TIE (if you know what I mean).

The vest is question REALLY does look nice. Now I have worked with a vest in the past (I still have it)which has no buttons. It is a close up vest that holds a ton of crap! It is worn under you coat/jacket and NOT SEEN. It is cut so that it lays just behind you open coat.
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3687 Posts

Profile of takeachance
I'm only joking Ray, your comment on the hand washing made me laugh. I'm just having a bit of fun. It is a matter of what suits the persons image and style. For street busking I think a vest is fine but for a more formal environment it would look out of place. By all accounts the vest this forum is about sounds really well thought out and made especially for magicians. Perhaps they could make the same features for you by altering a suit jacket. In any case, I only mean a little fun banter, I do enjoy your input on other forums here on the Café
cheerz
Neil
ps
How do you get your wife to iron your underwear!!! mines lucky to wash mine, ha!
blueninja33
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of blueninja33
If you were to start your show with it buttoned and then when you get to the part where you need it unbuttoned, just complain about the heat and unbutton it for that part. People who don't know about a topit won't be suspicious. Then when you are done button it back up, but maybe a while later so you aren't just unbuttoning it for one trick.
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
728 Posts

Profile of Winks
You guys need to take a trip over to Europe where guys wear unbuttoned vests as a matter of course. Very practical None of the vests are black, however, as that is considered a more formal piece of clothing meant to be buttoned. But, for khaki and olive drab and such, unbuttoned is normal.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

I used to lived in Germany.

Ray
brody
View Profile
Inner circle
Omaha
1313 Posts

Profile of brody
This is an interesting discussion. I went out to Google images and keyed in "unbuttoned vests". Found lots of pictures, and actually found this on a fashion website.

Quote:
I usually prefer the unbuttoned casual look, but to each his own.
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
728 Posts

Profile of Winks
Don't know about Germany. I was in France, Belgium, Ireland, and England. Saw the unbuttoned vests in all those countries.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-07-12 15:43, Winks wrote:
Don't know about Germany. I was in France, Belgium, Ireland, and England. Saw the unbuttoned vests in all those countries.

LOL .... Here is a simple question, are the vest unbutton because of it not being able to close? In other words, is there a big gut in the way? LOL

Ray
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
728 Posts

Profile of Winks
Only here in the States.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Workers vest (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL