The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Inexpensive Illusions by Gary Darwin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Franfran
View Profile
New user
Paris!
70 Posts

Profile of Franfran
Hi,

Do you guys know if the books and videos or Gary Darwin are good, or if it's better to invest in Andrew Mayne's illusion books ???

Thanx,

Franfran la Malice! Smile
Franfran's magic, the real French Touch!
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Inexpensive Illusions deals with black art to create the illusions. Andrew Maynes deals with illusions that can be done in full light.

Ray Noble
Backroomboy
View Profile
Regular user
David
114 Posts

Profile of Backroomboy
Don't belittle black art illusions though, they still carry a powerful effect if done in the right hands.
Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
If you don't know about Black aRt they are good, but I REALLY didn't like them....I would go with Andrew's Stuff.

Jakks
jr_illusion
View Profile
New user
USA
67 Posts

Profile of jr_illusion
i agree. i was disappointed in darwin's book, but have loved every one of andrew's booklets that i have
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
They are both good .

Andrew Mayne's stuff tends to be more for "informal" settings , while the classic illusions accomplished with black art described by Gary Darwin are for a "formal" , traditional theater settting.

Darwin's book is endorsed by Lance Burton and Mark Wilson, among other successful illusionists , so that ought to tell you something .

In general the black art principle is like hot peppers on food ; a little bit goes a long way , but don't over do it . Used discretely it is baffling, but if you over use it most audiences will catch on to what you're doing .
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I agree with Dai, a little black art really does go a long way!

I use black art once or twice in my show. When used at the right time, it becomes pure magic.

Ray Noble
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
One thing I didn't get in that black art book was his method for doing the lady from the light production with black art. Why do it with black art when it can just as easily be done without blackart? It's one of the most simple to build yet strong and baffling illusions.
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Gracy_hm
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
195 Posts

Profile of Gracy_hm
I say go with Andrews stuff; it is much more original and unless you have the time and money to light black art properly I feel it would be ineffective (unless you do but still black art as said before shouldn't be used in every effect).

So it is in my humble opinion to say I feel illusions that don't need so much special lighting are much more practical. I also feel Andrew uses methods that are simplistic, yet, the effects are steller and are designed to make the audience gasp in amazement or scream in fear Smile (Depending on which of his items you purchase)

Nearly all of Andrews effects can be done in a formal show. Actually all of them can but of course you may want to alter its appearance to fit the venue but I would go with Andrews.

Take care,
Kyle
fxmagik
View Profile
New user
UK
28 Posts

Profile of fxmagik
I would say, Splash out and get both, as there are many excellent ideas in both authors' books and this way you can decide which is better for your performances and settings. I have just received Andrew Mayne's
Illusion Book with 100 illusion ideas, Excellent A+++++
www.specialfxmagic.com
It ain't what you do! It's the Way that you do it!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Inexpensive Illusions by Gary Darwin (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL