The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Si Stebbins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pavloter
View Profile
Special user
529 Posts

Profile of Pavloter
Is this stack in public domain?
Pavlo
Dante_Ravenkin
View Profile
New user
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
90 Posts

Profile of Dante_Ravenkin
I think so.... Isn't that stack from like, the 20's or 30's?
'For Those Who Believe, No Explanation is Necessary. For Those Who Do Not, None Will Suffice.' - Joseph Dunninger

~Kirk~
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I think it's a lot older that that.

I heard Si Stebbins kept the secret himself for close to 50 years. ( I believe Stebbins later said he had learned it from someone else) Anyone else ever heard that?
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Nikodemus Siivola
View Profile
New user
Helsinki, Finland
39 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus Siivola
Yes.

Not only is copyrighting a stack essentially impossible (you can copyright a specific description -- and probably most of the extant descriptions are under copyright), but Tamariz's bibliography in Mnemonica places the first known description of the stack in question in 1593 (Horatio Galasso: Giochi di carte bellissimi di regola, e di memoria)... if 415 years is not enough for material to enter public domain, I don't know what is!

Apropos, Si Stebbin's Card Tricks, and The Way They Are Performed can be found on archive.org, and is to my best knowledge in public domain: though Si Stebbins died less then 70 years ago (1950?), the book was published around 1898 and does not bear a copyright notice -- which was required in the US upto 1989.
Eric Richardson
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Eric Richardson
You can also find the stack on stackview.com among many other places.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Si Stebbins (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL