The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Murphys Law (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Murphys law sucks.

Nearly every single effect in my opener went wrong in a show yesterday.

I have to come up with an opener routine that will work in any situation.

It was hot and humid yesterday. First, the building had a flat roof and no vents to let the heat out, small ac units in 3 of the 12+ windows.

I was up 3 feet on the stage where all the hot air was. So I was sweating bad. The first effect is a fake rose production. The silk I use got stuck on my sweaty arm so I had fumbled producing the rose. Next, the slush powder for my liquid to silk did silk to not slush well (heat?) so it fell out of my mirror glass and went everywhere. At this point, I was getting frustrated as it was only 1 minute into my show. Next was the silk to cane and it got stuck to my sweaty hand and did not open fast enough. The silk is then to be pulled from the rose. It was loaded just before the show so it wouldn't wrinkle but it did and almost did not fall open. The humidity made my vanishing candle stick to it self and only would only open about a third of the way. When I went to vanish it after, it jumped out of my hand, and I had to catch it. That happened each of the two times I do it, as I make it reappear to vanish again. My travelling knot went fine. OK. Then the gimmick on my jumbo diminishing cards started coming off. Throw streamers went fine, but did not get much distance.

Then for my linking rings routine, my fingers were sticking so I had to exaggerate my hand movements to do the sleights almost exposing the secret. I dropped a ring twice for the same part.

Everything else in the show went good so I guess that saved it.

Sorry but I needed to vent.
-Matt
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed... Smile
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1295 Posts

Profile of nucinud
O'Brien's Law states Murphy was an optimist.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1644 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Doesn't matter what stage of magic you perform at

Hot Humid conditions effect us all- Put it down to experience

Keep up the good work with your shows-

Cheers
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3998 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
"Cole's Law" is thinly-sliced cabbage...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
My best advise is to learn from the experience.

Don't try to do silk or card magic in a sauna.
Never assume that the venue will be in a civilized state of being (temperature, available tables, clean floor...).
Always bring extra magic, in case what you were planning to do is not going to be feasible, due to angles, lighting, temperature, humidity, audience placement/arrangement, etc. No, this is not my first rodeo.

I have often said that "the most powerful magic one can wield is to use Murphy against himself".

For example, if you have to go to the doctor, take along the largest book that you actually have an interest in reading. Murphy will make sure that your stay in the waiting room is at a minimum so that you do not have time to read (try it!).

When it comes to driving, always assume that the person in the car in front of you (also applies to beside, behind or oncoming toward you) will do the most stupid thing possible. Murphy will, to a staggering degree, make sure that this is what happens, for he seems to always encourage people to be stupid in a no-stupid zone.

Don't curse at Murphy, for he relishes that. Study Murphy's Law and be prepared for his visits accordingly.

Remember: Life is a study in irony. This particular line has improved my outlook on many occasions, putting a smile back on my face.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Murphys Law (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL