The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Slydini Knots Final Sequence (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

padre rich
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of padre rich
Is the final sequence of Slydini's Knotted Silk routine in print anywhere? I came up with a solution, and it fools folks, but I don't think it's as smooth as Slydini's (in fact, I know it's not). My solution requires no genius, just a trip to the stationary store. I'm sure that Slydini's method is far more clever. Thanx in advance.
Blessings+++,
Rich
God's grace rocks! It makes a good cups and balls routine look pretty boring in comparison.
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1649 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
To which sequence are you referring? I've seen where he ended with multiple knots (where most others also end), where he ended by splitting a wrap-around knot in two, and where he ended by transferring the knots to a previously untied pair of silks. You can check out "The Annotated Magic of Slydini" and/or "The Magical World of Slydini" for the first two endings, or you can click here for a thread with info on the third.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
padre rich
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of padre rich
http://video.google.com/videosearch?clie......start=20

What I am referring to is the last sequence shown here.
God's grace rocks! It makes a good cups and balls routine look pretty boring in comparison.
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1649 Posts

Rich,
The link you provided goes to a video of Slydini performing with cigarettes and a partial routine with coins. However, there was a video along the side that showed him performing the silks. This is the one I've seen (from the Dick Cavett show?) wherein he does the third ending I mentioned above. He places the knotted silks in one glass and the unknotted silks in another. Then, after some magic, he shows the knots having jumped to the previously unknotted silks. Click the link in my previous post to read about this ending.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
padre rich
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of padre rich
I tried to link, just the silks. But you describe what I was calling the final sequence.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5279 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The knots flying from one set of silks to another is called “Sympathetic Silks” and can be found in dozens of places. They are all basically done the same way using the same methodology and the gimmick (if it can be called a gimmick!).

Several versions (a whole chapter) can be found in Rice’s “Encyclopedia of Silk Magic”. Heck, even old Al Baker had a version in one of his books, “Magical Ways and Means” (more easily found in the new compilation of Baker’s work “The Secret Ways of Al Baker,” pg. 201). By the way, the instructions in Baker’s book is amongst the clearest and easiest to follow and understand (typical Baker).

Ron Bauer has a good version in one of his Think Like a Conjuror booklets, titled “Four Squares and a Knot”. http://www.thinklikeaconjurer.com/all24r......ndex.htm

Paul Pottasy tips his version in his book and on one of his DVDs. Many youth-oriented magic books found in the public library have a version, e.g. “The Big Book of Magic” by Patrick Page. Tony Clark has his version of the Slydini routine on his DVD “Sly Scarves,” and Slydini’s own handling is in one of the Karl Fulves two volume sets

Finally, Slydini’s whole routine (the actual Slydini handling) can be found in the Karl Fulves books “The Magical World of Slydini” (pg. 70 “”Slydini’s Sympathetic Silks”).
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13350 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Cellini's DVDs also have him performing it in a very nice way.
He goes from the beginning of the routine all the way thru to the sympathetic handling.

Look for it on Kozmo's Slydini DVD "As I Recall..." and Cellini's Slydini lecture DVD. It's on one, the other, or both.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1649 Posts

I almost mentioned "Sympathetic Silks" because the methodology is used within some of those routines, but I really don't consider this in the "sympathetic" genre. The concept I have of a sympathetic routine is: what happens to one happens to the other. With the effect in question, the knots simply move from one to the other. Minor quibble, I know.

Harry,
I haven't read the Al Baker books that you mentioned, but there's an ungimmicked and a gimmicked (if you count the table) version of this credited to Al Baker in volume 3 of the Rice books. Are they the same routines as in the other books?
Michael J.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5279 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Call it flying knots.

The Al Baker version I am referenced is the ungimmicked in the hands handling.

I totally forgot the Cellini DVD. Thanks Frank, It rocks!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
The original effect was in Sachs Sleight of hand p 215 under the title Sun and Moon (no it wasn't a coin trick). It was part of a larger routine and some of the effects of the routine could supply alternatives for an original ending
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Slydini Knots Final Sequence (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL