The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Coin shell for beginner? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Malus
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Malus
Hi I am getting more and more interested in coin magic and thinking it is about time to get a coin shell. Since coin shell is used in various interesting routines like 3-Fly, CoinOne, Silver Dream...etc. From what I have read so far, seems like Johnson is what I should get as my first set. I saw some threat that said Hopping Half can do more. As a coin magic beginner, I don't know what is the difference. Would you still recommend me to get one (or two?) half coin shell instead of other gimmick coins set? and yeah, do you think one coin shell is enough for me so far? Also I am just wondering are there any good website you recommend for me to buy the Johnson coin shell from?

And I am sure this is another beginner question as well..but what is difference between expended shells and unexpanded shells?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to the world of coin magic Smile
Malus.
jordanl
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of jordanl
Johnson makes a fine shell, think of it as quality clothing off the rack.

Hopping half is a set of coins, with 4 gaffs, including a shell. Its a great palce to start with, if too expensive just get a shell, one will be fine to start with, I never use multiple shells in 1 trick.

An expanded shell has been stretched so it can fit over a normal half. An unexpanded shell requires the inserts be turned down, Troy Hoosers recent Shell Shocked DVD is a good place to start.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2693 Posts

Profile of sethb
You can't go wrong with a Johnson expanded shell -- good quality for the money, and it works with any half dollar. And if you do get the "ShellRaiser" DVD by Troy Hooser, it comes with an OK shell that would be good to practice with. Bobo's classic "Modern Coin Magic" book also has plenty of information about shells as well as excellent routines for them.

Both are available from the Magic Warehouse -- quick, reliable service, in my experience -- click HERE and HERE to view. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
724 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
Also... I say go with a real silver shell right off the bat... Silver coins are just easier to work with... Plus they look better.

Here is a reasonably priced silver shell.

Get one while they are in stock... because they don't stay in stock for long.

http://themagicwarehouse.com/tsilver1.html

Best

Shawn
Shawn.
Malus
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Malus
Thank you everyone, I will get the Johnson expanded shell soon Smile

Quote:
On 2008-09-16 07:54, sethb wrote:
Bobo's classic "Modern Coin Magic" book also has plenty of information about shells as well as excellent routines for them.

Yes, In fact, the Modern Coin Magic is how I got started in coin magic Smile what a great book.

Quote:
On 2008-09-16 08:45, ShawnB wrote:
Also... I say go with a real silver shell right off the bat... Silver coins are just easier to work with... Plus they look better.

Thanks for the advice, but the problem is I got bunch of normal half dollars..not a single silver coin.. :/
Malus.
tpax
View Profile
Elite user
Columbia, Maryland
443 Posts

Profile of tpax
I found the Johnsons ultimate expanded shell to be the best in the mass produced. I have them for Ikes and Half's, great cover and no distortion. I also have 64 high end ones in 64 Kenndy's. The Johnsons were really close in cover and lack of distortion.
I own a set of SASCO unexpanded shells that were good to learn with. One of the problems with any expanded shell - any shell for that matter - is that when they are dropped you can distort the rim. I cringe when my $150 shell dings on the floor! My experiences show the unexpanded to have thicker walls. So if you are new to shells it might be worth learning with a inexpensive one first. I Would NOT get the $10 stamped shell. The one's I've seen are not worth the money!
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2206 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
If you purchase a new Troy Hoosier DVD called ShellRaiser there is a half dollar shell included...great to get started with.
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
tpax
View Profile
Elite user
Columbia, Maryland
443 Posts

Profile of tpax
The shell that comes with ShellRaiser is pretty poor quality. The DVD is good, but not the shell.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Coin shell for beginner? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.55 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL