The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Sympathy... cry me a river (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Okay, this sucks. Today, I found out that I have a form of throat cancer. very small, quick outpatient operation. very common kind of thyroid cancer. You never expect it to be you, and all that stuff... they tell me its not something to worry about, but hey, its cancer.

anyone have any experience with this? any idea of the size of the scar? I just found this out today, havent even talked to the surgeon.

thanks,

kevin
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
You could drive yourself into a nervous wreck by worrying about things before talking to the surgeon. Don't let this happening control the quality of your life.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Thanks bill. that helped.

pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Being someone who has cancer all through his family history, I really expect it to hit me at some point. If it happens, I'm sure I'll still be a nervous wreck. I've lost a lot of people really close to me to the big C, including my Mom at at age 11. The most inspiring thing I can think of to tell you is YOU have cancer, cancer doesn't have YOU. Hang in there, and keep us posted.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Never heard it like that. thanks pepka, every little bit helps. will keep you apprised

kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
And I hope you never get it!!

Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2426 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
My prayers are with you.

If I can give you some advice that will be of no detriment to your health?

Sit for 15 or 20 minutes every morning in meditation imagining a bright white healing light is being drawn into your body with every inhalation.
With every exhalation you imagine a dark black smoke leaves your body and dissolves into the air.

Use your imagination and focus to pinpoint the exact spot in your thought. And you don't have to be in meditation to use this visualization, do it whenever you remember, meditation just helps focus your concentration.

Good luck mate.

Om Mani Padme Hum
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Can't help you Kevin. I'm a hypocondriac who worries about every possible form of cancer destroying me and all my friends. Since you are my friend, I am only worried. Smile Cancer is a ***. Can I say that here at the Café? I guess I'll find out when I click "submit reply".

I do have advice, however. Your throat and your life are yours, not the doctors'. Inform yourself: read everything possible, ask every doctor as many questions as you have (hey, they get paid a LOT, so keep asking questions even when they are looking at their watch), and don't ever assume that the doctors are more interested in healing you than you are interested in being healed. And re-read the last clause of my last sentence about 50 times.

****. ****. ****.

Cancer sucks.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Scary. But it sounds like it going to be easliy treated. Best wishes.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
Quote:
On 2008-09-17 02:24, Silvertongue wrote:
My prayers are with you.

If I can give you some advice that will be of no detriment to your health?

Sit for 15 or 20 minutes every morning in meditation imagining a bright white healing light is being drawn into your body with every inhalation.
With every exhalation you imagine a dark black smoke leaves your body and dissolves into the air.

Use your imagination and focus to pinpoint the exact spot in your thought. And you don't have to be in meditation to use this visualization, do it whenever you remember, meditation just helps focus your concentration.

Good luck mate.

Om Mani Padme Hum

Listen to Silver.. these are wise words.

Thoughts are with you mate.

Andy
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
I had thyroid surgery and had the left lobe of my thyroid removed about a year and a half ago.

It was the first surgery I had ever had and it was scary. The thyroid is close to the vocal cords and having an altered voice or not being able to speak was my biggest concern. But, the operation was a complete success and the scarring is minimal because the surgeon cut along a natural crease of the neck (throat) area. You can barely even notice the scar. ...And there was no change in my voice. I'm still a loud mouth. LOL!

The only negative for me is that the removal of the thyroid has caused a lot of weight gain. The thyroid affects your metabolism and mine has been very difficult to maintain with medication because of some weird level fluctuations. So that part kinda sucks. People sometimes draw their own conclusions and "judge" us people of larger size, but often times, they don't know - or don't understand the story behind the problem.

You'll be fine. Keep us posted on how you're doing!

Lyndel
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
I sincerely wish you a fast recovery. Cheers!
POOF!
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Thanks a lot for the support guys, its great to hear. One of the wonders of the net, people you have never meet writing to say they care.

Jeff- I'm gonna see the dr today or tomorrow and I wont be pushed around!

silvertongue- I will give that a try. would it help to have prior meditation experence?

lyndel, howw long was the op? outpatient? have you had to take meds after the operation?

I will keep you all informed

thanks again,

kevin

kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Lyndel, how long is the scar? how long were you "out"

questions are racing through my mind...

thanks, kevin

KapBoy77
View Profile
Loyal user
Ottawa, Canada
213 Posts

Profile of KapBoy77
Take care buddy! Hope all goes well.

Andre
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Quote:
On 2008-09-17 12:47, kcg5 wrote:
Lyndel, how long is the scar? how long were you "out"

questions are racing through my mind...

thanks, kevin

It's about 5 inches across, but again, barely visible. I stressed to the surgeon that I'm an entertainer and encouraged him to try to be sure to make the scarring minimal and as little noticeable as possible.

I was real concerned about the voice thing, so I cleared my calendar for two months after the surgery in case I needed voice recuperation time. But, since everything went so well, I could have realistically went back to work a couple weeks after it.

Lyndel
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Thanks lyndel for the answers. I meant out, as in, under some kind of gas or meds to make you sleep. I have never had an operation before either, so I m trying to get every detail. where you out the same day as the operation?

thanks

kevin

Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
I was knocked out for about an hour and a half. The hospital stay was three days.

Lyndel
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2426 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
Quote:
On 2008-09-17 12:37, kcg5 wrote:

silvertongue- I will give that a try. would it help to have prior meditation experience?

kevin

Yes it would help tremendously but it is not necessary. This is really the act of using your imagination. Meditation helps you to focus single pointedly on your object which in this case is the healing white light and black smoke breathing visualization.

I don't know if you are religious in anyway but if you are you are you could imagine the healing lightrays coming from God or if not I would suggest you get an image of The Medicine Buddha and imagine that his healing power in the form of blue lightrays emanates from his heart... then breath it in buddy. Long and deep.

Its all to do with imagination and visualization and holding your focus on it without your mind wandering.

As you go through the surgery imagine your surroundings and experiences as manifestations of this healing white/blue light. Do the same with the scar, imagine the light healing it quickly and perfectly.

If you try this Sacred and Secret practice I can guarantee you will one day look back and see how much it helped.
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Good luck Kevin! Don't let them mess you up! Let us know what the outcome is!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Sympathy... cry me a river (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL