The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » How many ways can a cup be damaged? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
Quote:
On 2008-09-19 11:26, Dynamike wrote:

How metal cups can be damaged:
1. Using abrasive cleaners.
2. Using a steel scrub brush as a cleaner.
3. Using steel wool as a cleaner.
4. Using a dishwasher for cleaning.
5. Using bleach as a cleaner.
6. Using ketchup as a cleaner.
7. Cleaning in direct sunlight.
8. Putting acid foods in the cups. (It is ok if the fruit is not opened for a final load)
9. Leaving in high steamed areas.
10. Carrying around inside a container with other objects without a protective cover.

I don't know about leather or wood cups, however I wouldn't care to do any of the things you are mention(besides #2)
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
If your cups are meant for working, I can only think of extreme pounding with the wand and throwing the cups around as a cause of damage. For the collector, there really is no way to damage the cups if they are stored properly....away and out of reach of children, visitors etc...

We all have different relationships with our cups. Some see them as works of art, some see them as tools. Some see them as both. To each his own. Regardless of how we see them... I feel we should enjoy them to the fullest and in the course of doing so, we share the joy with others.

I love my cups and they love me. They seem to understand that we have to work in severe conditions at times. I do my part in protecting them and they take whatever is needed to protect my art.

I do have a couple of "workers" and some "collector's sets". They both get the care they deserve but more importantly... we have fun and create fun. I pretty much let them age on their own from use or by time alone. I stopped using cleaners.

Along the lines of Plungerman....I feel we should be more concerned about the damage we can cause to the art by over zealousness and lack of practice and understanding of the cups. There is nothing terrible about being excited to go out and perform the classics but with practice and understanding... we can protect the art of cups and balls.

Our cups are investments and investments must be given importance and attention...after all these babies don't come cheap.

have fun folks!

mabuhay from Manila,

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks, Mike for the highly valuable info and the suggestion of starting another list. I'll do that immediately so I can have more info for the website.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I will be a little more specific. Under the methods I listed for "How metal cups can be damaged" is everything in general for copper, brass, silver and aluminum. In other words, maybe one of the metals can be cleaned with one or more of the "not to use items." But I did not want to go thru each metal individually, so I put it all in general to keep it more safe for each metal. For example: Maybe bleach or water will clean one of the metals, but damage the other three.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks, Mike. Really appreciate your contribution.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Wooden mini cups can be damaged if you as a spectator to tap the top and he slams his fist down on it, this is a proven fact.
Leather dice cups should not be put in the dish washer, also proven.
According to Clark Crandell, you should not allow drunks to slice the bottom off of your dice cup while looking for the magnet.
Gazzo said that a large Animal cup may be safely thrown into the Atlantic Ocean by a stoned biker
without damage, however getting it back is a pain.
I once left a set of Paul Fox cups on a bus. As far as I know the were not damaged, although I haven't seen them sense.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks, ringmaster, I'll bear in mind the slamming of the fist on those wooden mini cups.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Do not allow spectators to handle your cups because they might accidently drop/loose one.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=6&6
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
I heard of a magicians wife taking one of his cups and using it to hold chemicals to dye her hair.

^ true story!
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » How many ways can a cup be damaged? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL