The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Ken Scott's Happy Birthday 20th Century Silks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ray Ouellette
View Profile
Regular user
Ottawa, Canada
114 Posts

Profile of Ray Ouellette
Does anyone have this effect? What are your opinions? I am looking for an opener to my 3- 5 and 6-9 year old birthday shows and I am considering this. I can't find any discussion on this via the search engine and I have also been unable to find a demo video anywhere, including YouTube! It is a combination 20th century and blendo effect and can be found here:

http://www.kenscottproducts.com/BirthdaySilks.html

Thanks.
"Love and magic have a great deal in common. They enrich the soul, delight the heart. And they both take practice"
Ray Ouellette
View Profile
Regular user
Ottawa, Canada
114 Posts

Profile of Ray Ouellette
Actually to be more specific, this is not an opener. For example for the 3-5 year old show I open with talking to the children, asking for magic words, etc.. then go into the chattering teeth routine ala David Ginn, then the multiplying banana trick and Silver Scepter. Then I am looking for a first effect to do with the birthday child and I am considering Ken's blendo for this purpose.

Any thoughts and opinions from people who have and use this effect?
"Love and magic have a great deal in common. They enrich the soul, delight the heart. And they both take practice"
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1423 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
I have the effect and frankly haven't put it my show because the 20th Century props are not sewn together. You are supposed to fold them in 20th Century silks which to me is a waste of time and a drag. I did not expect this to be the case, and I was disappointed (but Scott is not the only one to do this). I have a great Wonder Imagery Trick - Tortoise and the Hare - which also has a 20th Century-like effect which you have to reset fold every time.

The Scott trick comes with a lot of silks for the money, and I was excited about doing it until I realized I needed advanced seminars in origami in order to reset it every time. I am getting several together to take to a professional seamstress/ster. Until then, they create needless work. Think twice before buying for that reason, although again, you do get a lot of silks you can use separately until you get the proper 20th Century setup sewn.
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Mumblemore,

I've never found this problem. I've got both gimmicked and the one's that need folding 20th Century silks. Both need resetting, just in different ways. But as I don't do an effect twice this has never proven to be an issue. Even on days of four different shows 30 minutes apart.

The Hare and Tortoise silks are so colourful I realy don't mind spending a minute to set them up. I think the same would be true of the Ken Scott set.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1423 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
But the setup is much faster and the trick more foolproof if they come sewn together. I am trying to get a seamstress to do this. To me, the tricks are not complete without this.
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1868 Posts

Profile of kenscott
If I may jump in. You do get a lot of silks for the low money you are paying. If I would have had the pocket sewn in it would have made the product cost more. I have always done it this way without the pocket and it can be set up no joke in 10 secs. The pocket for me always looked like just that a pocket. when displayed with the kid holding it from the two outer silks it does look good to see through the silks and look like three seprate silks.

HOpe this helps
Ken
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1423 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Bob Sanders just solved my problem with sewn silks. I understand Ken's point, and yes, he does send a lot of silks for the money. But to me the pocket is much better, and Sanders sells what seem to be outstanding silk products at a very reasonable price. I'll confirm on receipt, and may still use some of Ken's silks for other parts of the routine, but to me, 20th century implies a pocket. It's not the first 20th century which has come without the pockets . . . So not to get on Ken's case excessively. But it might be beneficial to consider the pockets as a more expensive option, at least.
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1423 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Just got the Sanders silks; they are fantastic. Beautiful, heavy material with bright and lively colors. Bob solved my problem. Best of all, the 20th Century silks are sewn like the pros use; using them is going to boost my confidence. It does matter what kind of silks you use. Best of all, e-mail Bob and buy direct from the importer without "middle man" fees.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I like Bob Sanders' silks too. Let's remember he has other type of props that are of high quality as well. I know because I purchased them.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20534 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
For adult shows there are Birthday 20th Century Silks with black ends available. Thus, the patter is fun. Tying the two black silks together I explain that it is a "Black Day in History". Later I do Silk to Egg with a Happy Birthday Silk which vanishes and turns to a real egg. We crack the real egg remarking that we are not dealing with a "Spring Chicken". Going back to the two black silks earlier tied together, when we pull them apart we find the "Happy Birthday" silk appears tied between them. It is indeed a black date in history that just won't go away. So let's celebrate it! Happy Birthday!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7551 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I am going to jump in here. A sewn silk or not is purely a matter of preference. I have used both and the set up is actually about the same. It is certainly not a matter of being professional or not. The other reason to use the non prepared set is if you are going to use the same silks for another effect. You can upset the square knot and show them separate.

One thing to remember on a 20th century prepared or otherwise, you need to be mindful of the colors you use to conceal the silk within. It also helps to have a heavier silk. I prefer at least 8 momme. As you are putting a lot of strain on those corners when you whip the silks apart.

The bottom line is both are very workable methods of doing this effect.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Ken Scott's Happy Birthday 20th Century Silks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL