The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Heckled to the max (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2597 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Yikes don't mess with DaveM.
sleightofhander
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of sleightofhander
Quote:
On 2008-09-19 11:03, Eric Jones wrote:
Now I try to be the consumate professional, but this guy REALLY deserved a swift punch in the throat!!!!!
I agree with Eric! It's like spitting in your face.
sleightofhander
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of sleightofhander
Quote:
On 2008-09-19 15:39, Justin Style wrote:
Just for the record...I DON'T advocate violence.

I just like talking like a tough guy.

One time, a magician friend was giving me a hard time. I let it go. Then one day he had a wad of hundred dollar bills. I told him I just learned a NEW bill tear and to give me 5 of the hundreds.

I stacked them together and told him (and another guy who was there) to watch very closely. RIP, right down the center, his eyes almost bugged out of his head and he gave me a look like to say, "hey I hope this is a trick"? I now ripped the 10 pieces into 20. Then I threw them into the air and watched them float to the floor, then I said I was only kidding, I didn't learn a new bill tear. Tears came out of his eyes.

I left.

He thought once you rip money that it would not be any good. He wanted me to tape the bills back together; I told him that I didn't have any tape.

And this guy was a big time magician.
He learned a lesson. Never hand someone 500 dollars.
DonHarlan
View Profile
Loyal user
Richmond, VA
296 Posts

Profile of DonHarlan
I'm right there with you, it wasn’t the easiest thing to swallow, but the long in the short of it is that I kept my composure and continued performing for the others who were enjoying it. This guy eventually singled himself out of the group. Even though it cost a flipper coin, I kept my cool and dignity and he still lost his. But being able to do a misers dream with his teeth afterwards would have been sweet, It wasn’t the time or place.
Quote:
On 2008-09-20 02:40, sleightofhander wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-09-19 11:03, Eric Jones wrote:
Now I try to be the consumate professional, but this guy REALLY deserved a swift punch in the throat!!!!!
I agree with Eric! It's like spitting in your face.
“Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.”-Tom Robbins
<BR>
<BR>“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering".-Robert A. Heinlein
DonHarlan
View Profile
Loyal user
Richmond, VA
296 Posts

Profile of DonHarlan
I appreciate the enthusiasm Justin, walking the walk and talking the talk are two totally different things. Obviously the guy with the hundreds had it coming or you were having a bad day. I’m going to have to quote you here but I would have peed on him too.

Quote:
On 2008-09-19 15:39, Justin Style wrote:
Just for the record...I DON'T advocate violence.

I just like talking like a tough guy.

One time, a magician friend was giving me a hard time. I let it go. Then one day he had a wad of hundred dollar bills. I told him I just learned a NEW bill tear and to give me 5 of the hundreds.

I stacked them together and told him (and another guy who was there) to watch very closely. RIP, right down the center, his eyes almost bugged out of his head and he gave me a look like to say, "hey I hope this is a trick"? I now ripped the 10 pieces into 20. Then I threw them into the air and watched them float to the floor, then I said I was only kidding, I didn't learn a new bill tear. Tears came out of his eyes.

I left.

He thought once you rip money that it would not be any good. He wanted me to tape the bills back together; I told him that I didn't have any tape.

And this guy was a big time magician.
“Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.”-Tom Robbins
<BR>
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14448 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-09-19 03:21, jinx8107 wrote:
So tonight I was asked to perform some magic at a party, usually it goes over well for everyone and tonight most people enjoyed it. Except for one guy who had "friends" and you tube buddies. Anyway I was doing a routine with a flipper coin and wouldn't you know it he was calling the shots. As much as I tried to eliminate him from the equation he just kept going about how he has been shown all of this before in detail, going to the extent of taking a coin out of my hand and throwing it in the bushes. Needless to say I walked away head held high still knowing that some enjoyed what magic was done and left a flipper in the woods. As I got to the car I couldn't help but think was it worth it to have someone I knew what I did as a hobby or second job. When people ask to see something I have mixed feelings about it. Personally I'm not an animal who performs on command but let’s face it sometimes some of our impromptu tricks are too good to let this chance unnoticed. Either way I feel somewhat defeated knowing that someone didn’t enjoy it and made sure to point that out the entire night.

IMMEDIATELY shut them up with a little shame. " That's not how this is done. There's allot of kids on Youtube exposing how they think these things are done. IF they were right, David Copperfield wouldn't be able to sell one ticket. So please, let others enjoy what I'm doing if it doesn't interest you".

That's warning #1.

If he continues, just stop and say "I'll show you all some Magic another time, when our friend isn't here trying to ruin it" and not matter what, don't continue unless she actually leaves.

That's for folks that can run into this.

As far as the coin being thrown in the bushes, that doesn't make sense. Why is your coin in the bushes and his teeth aren't?
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I'm with Chris- as Dirty Harry would have said, "now, punk, go get it"...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
jmoran76
View Profile
New user
West Palm Beach, FL
69 Posts

Profile of jmoran76
Quote:
On 2008-09-19 15:37, DaveM wrote:
The next effect would've been Coin thru Glass.....through his drivers side window.

....or a good throat punch as Eric suggested.

Coin thru Glass ..driver's side window......I'm absolutely cracking up over this post! What a great effect for an *ss**** like the one mentioned.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3630 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Heckling is one thing. taking your personal property and throwing it away is another. maybe its tasteless but I would have punch that SOB.
michaelmagicart
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of michaelmagicart
Jinx8107

If you can still obtain the trick "Heat", then I would suggest you carry it with you. I did for many years and it would absolutely destroy a "Know it all Heckler".

Basically, you borrowed a pack of cigarettes, chewing gum, etc., and tore a strip of aluminum foil about i/2" x 2". Rolled it into a ball, and placed it in the jerk's hand,instructing him to close his fist over it and concentrate on the word "heat". The foil will get so hot it will blister his hand, unless he drops it. Believe me, it works and makes him look like a real jerk in front of his friends.

I used this on a "OutLaw" gang member years ago, in a bar full out his cronies, and I instantly became a hit, not only with his cronies, but him also.

I won't reveal the "secret here",and I would not advise anyone else to do so either, but if your are interested, PM me and I will tell you.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2008-09-19 14:34, Eric Jones wrote:
If someone had thrown my coins during the middle of a performance, I would have looked at the guy who threw them in the eye and been like, " And for my next trick, the Bullet Catch....."

Look at the guy who threw them in the eye " And for my next trick, the Bullet Catch..... performed by this smart guy. I'll only do the shooting, he'll do the catch"

Seriously. I think we should reconsider ourselves. We know well that such people exist and that they feel agressed either for not being the centre of the group's attention or for being destabilized in their unstable knowledge.
When we get this sort of reaction, could it mean that our magic is presented too much as a challenge or as "I'm smarter than you all" type of presentation. When we SHARE a magical moment with a group, they don't throw our coins away (which admittedly they are not supposed to do under any circumstnce).
Approaching magic hidden behind the magic itself rather than boasting (vocally or just by behavior), when I meet this type of idiots, I use a self working trick which involves them and make them look really good as if they had made the magic happen. I then address to them saying "let me show my work on YOUR new variant for ....", just performing my own effect. Then the as&@#ole think that he is my friend and I wink at him from time to time (generally at the time of creating the magical moment that they unvolontarily help me to create) as if he was in the know (I want to believe that people really in the know would never have this type of attitude).

My point here is to suggest that we force ourselves to reconsider to what extent we are partly responsible when someone feels agressed by our tricks. Naturally the better the technique the more agressed people may feel up to doing unacceptble gesture of the kind mentioned. The same way we need outs for failure, we need pre-pared (think of the fencing ethymology of this word) enlightened handling for as&@#oles enabling us not to destroy our magic act.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
DonHarlan
View Profile
Loyal user
Richmond, VA
296 Posts

Profile of DonHarlan
I can see where you have a point Lawrence O.
<BR>
The Wizards Machine
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of The Wizards Machine
Personally, I have found SOME folks to be much more sceptical of late. There are a few that absolutley refuse to let you have any credit for the illusion, or refuse to be fooled. They would rather offer an imediate obnoxious answer to the trick (an attempt at a reveal), than enjoy the illusion. Almost an 'inferiority complex' reaction.

Case in point: I did the "Factory Sealed" bottled water illusion last night for an aquaintance at a sporting event. She was miffed. Tisking and hurumphing whilst offering explanations on how I did it. Real 'chip on the shoulder' behavior.

I also did the "Here and There" card routine for another person. I'll call him 'Mr. Calculus Head". This guy, instead of even smiling when I perform the illusion, again gets miffed and starts totaling the odds of such an occurance and rattling off ways that I could have done it. Again; as if he was embarrased that I "duped' him.

I don't know. I think total stangers are a better crop of specs.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3630 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Oh very much so. friends and co-workers make the worst specs unless they are magicians
dilan_thomas
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of dilan_thomas
Tips and Tricks for Friends and Family

1. If you know that person is a skeptic do something bullet proof. It may not be your best effect, but make sure it is bullet proof.

2. Always explain upfront that you spent months working on this, and you want to show it to an appreciative audience.

3. If there are people you haven't performed for before explain that magic uses peoples assumptions to create an unexplainable situation. The only reason it works is because people are intelligent and don't question the nature of simple things. In fact the more observant and sophisticated an audience the more fun it is to be entertained by things that you know can't really happen.

4. When all else fails:

If you aren't being paid to perform, but are being asked to perform by people you know then I consider all formal rules for treatment of audience members to be suspended. Furthermore, since you may be the only live magician your friend or family member (fofm) sees I consider it a moral obligation to teach them to behave properly. You do this not for self gratification. You do it to prevent them the embarassment and stigma that could be associated with them should they see another magician in a formal setting.

Therfore in order to help your fofm become a better person it is your duty to:

Tell them to shutup.

Toss them your props, and ask that such a knowledgeable person demonstrate something for the groups entertainment.

Comment upon any character trait which you know to exist, but would cause them to feel uncomfortable being expressed in public.

Any Sucker Trick.

Anything that the situation demands you do in the name of charity and goodwill towards your fellow man to make them look exactly like the idiot they are being. I know that this might be difficult, but remember it is your solemn duty. I and the rest of magic world are counting on you. If worse comes to worse line your change bag with plastic, pour in yellow paint, and then ask for someone to make certain the bag is empty.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Hi dilan_thomas

Speaking of hostile reactions they can take many forms.
I was doing card magic in Paris for friends gathered by the (then) Argentinian Ambassador to France at his home.
I did my (very structured) card act where the character is introduced as having met a business man who is using his knowledge of magic to understand what people inavowedly think and get bigger profits by satisfying these untold desires.
The last trick of the act is my version of Out Of This World where people briefly see the cards mixed face up (in fact in red, black, red, back... order) and then really riffle shuffle the deck themselves (which is not affecting my variant of the effect thanks to the Gilbreth principle)

A couple in their fifties, in this friendly group, even thoug they had been properly warned by the Ambassador that I would just do really astonishing sleight of hand, felt so agressed in their "need to believe" that they claimed that this could not be human and that there had to be something devilish about this. Despite our friendly reassurance that all of this was simply achieved by human means, they couldn't stay one minute more and physically felt the urge to leave the party.

I don't think that what I did that night was really extraordinary (in magicians' terms), I never make any ambiguous claim about any super power, and I tend to modestly hide behind the effects letting my character indirectly advertise for me.

So I agree with you. There are times when we simply cannot do anything about it. I would never however return hostility to an hostile spectator because even if the guy is a total a#&@ole, there is no way his violence (in any form) can bring me down to his level. One of the traits of civilisation is to recognize the supremacy of intelligence over brutal force: even though I'm toll and strong, my way of being proud and vain is to be dead set to remind humble but mentally (just mentally) superior to a#&@oles irrespective of what they do.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
dilan_thomas
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of dilan_thomas
Hello Lawrence,

I agree with what you did in the context of your situation. I think that returning a spectators hostility in kind is only appropiate when it is a friend or family member. What happened to jinx8107 goes far beyond the bounds of socially acceptable behavior. If this is a person that he knows then my recommendation stands. Begin by being as nice as pie. If that doesn't work declare war and become master of your domain.

jinx8107 knows that he can walk away, and choose not to perform if this person is present. This is valid advice and is usually the right choice. However, if jinx wants to perform, and is in fact requested to perform, why shouldn't he? If in order to perform he has to prove a point then so be it.

My post was intened to be of the tounge-in-cheek variety. My intention was to express that you do not always have to be supplicant in your behavior. Especially if you are performing in a informal situation for people you know.
The Wizards Machine
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of The Wizards Machine
Scarne's advise was:

1. Ignore at first.

2. If that doesn't work, then ask them to do some of THEIR tricks.

3. If that fails, kindly pack up and say," That's all the magic for tonight."
At that point anyone decent amongst the specs will be very mad at the moron.
Glen
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of Glen
Recently I was in a coffee shop I frequent and performing a napkin rose levitaiton. of all people the owner comes over and with all her customers enjoying the show, she swats at the rose to knock it down. I did manage to grab it before her hand hit it. needless to say a few minutes later I had words with her about the stupid thing she just did . she later appologized, but I never got her to say just why in the heck she did such a stupid thing. geeze!!!!!!!!!!
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Yeah that was pretty stupid of her Glen! Just rude...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Heckled to the max (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL