The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Styrofoam (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1122 Posts

Profile of maps
Does anyone knows what kind of coating I can use over styrofoam to make it hard?
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
I would like to know too. Will the coating fall off if the item is dropped?
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks, ClintonMagus, for the link.
pixsmith
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of pixsmith
Sculpt Or Coat works well too. I have found that these products are pretty durable, and you would more likely get a dent than have some of the coating break off. You can also use acrylic pigments on/in them to tint or color them. If you are in a pinch, white glue will also give you a nice skin on styrofoam, though some of it isn't quite thick enough to do the job in one coat. Letting it stand in a container, like a butter tub, for thirty minutes or so can help with that.

Another .02
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1122 Posts

Profile of maps
Thanks ClintonMagus.I think that is what I am looking for.Have anyone tried using it before?
Is that what prop makers coat it for outdoor uses?
Visit my website
owln_1
View Profile
Loyal user
dallas /now live by tulsa
222 Posts

Profile of owln_1
There's a product you can get from boat suppliers named "THE WEST SYSTEM" that is a 2 part resin like fiberglass that can be used over styrofoam or any other foams, can be used indoors without harmful fumes. Set and Acts just like fiberglass. Owln_1
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1122 Posts

Profile of maps
That's very useful information there AlanHogan.Thanks!
Visit my website
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Avoid anything with any form of petroleum distillate in it. That stuff disolves styroform like hot water disolves sugar.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
chill
View Profile
Veteran user
colorado, usa
372 Posts

Profile of chill
I have used water based epoxy paint, handles well but unless you multi coat it will not pass the drop test.
bob
I spent most of my money on magic and women, the rest i just wasted
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1122 Posts

Profile of maps
Most of the time,I mache over the styrofoam and then using using a brand called Apoxy,a two part modelling clay over it.
A bit heavy but seems to work well.I am planning building bigger props and it needs to be lighter.
The above valuable inputs above are great.Thanks!!
I am still trying to find the most durable method with the quickest way with no fuss and no muss.It must be able to withstand hard knocks with trouping in mind.
Visit my website
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2886 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
The traditional theatrical way is to cover it with cheesecloth, applied with slightly diluted white glue. This gives it a skin that totally encloses the foam and is also a good base for something like SculptOrCoat. Another way is to do a papier-mache treatment, using either a thin fabric or tissue paper, but using a water-based polyurethane product instead of glue. I've made a few small pieces this way, using spray polyurethane, and it is amazing how hard a few layers of toilet paper get when soaked with the urethane.

You may want to check out my column on making props out of sheet foam, here in the Buffet section. I don't have a clue where the photos went to (they disappeared).
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Styrofoam (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL