The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Best rope tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
tglund
View Profile
Regular user
Broomfield, CO, USA
115 Posts

Profile of tglund
As far as the best rope trick, I would have to say the Professor's Nightmare. It is a classic of magic and has stood the test of time.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4168 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I have an effect called "My Favorite Rope Trick". I did a search, and though I didn't look at every single post, I did not see it, but it sounds suspiciously like another rope effect mentioned here often.

Anyone know of MFRT going by another name?
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
533 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
OK, I'll bight.

My favorite rope routine is based on the "The Hanging" in Karl Fulves Self Working Rope Magic. I first saw a version performed by Tom Craven at one of his lectures.

The reason it is my favorite is while the handling is right out of the book, the patter is all mine. Nothing new here, but because the whole presentation is based on the way I think, it flows rather nicely.

I get 5-10 minutes out of this, mostly just telling the story.
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
Megatherion
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of Megatherion
Some of the best rope effects are:

Sandsational rope routine by G. Sand. Daryl’s, Tagagi's and Tabary’s routines are based on the work of G. Sand

The Spirit cabinet

Kellar tie

Thumb tie

Professors nightmare

Colombini’s version of the Professors nightmare

Rope through neck "Tarbell 6"

Yours faithfully

Smile Dan Kirsch Smile
Doug Howe
View Profile
New user
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
51 Posts

Profile of Doug Howe
Tabary, Daryl, and Sandsational are all great effects, as is the Professor's Nightmare. How about "The Bachelor's Needle" from Abbott's Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks? It only needs 3 feet of rope and you can get 5 - 10 minutes from it. I use it all the time for close-up.
Mack Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
The Burgh' Pittsburgh, PA
268 Posts

Profile of Mack Magic
Quote:
On 2002-08-28 22:57, Chessmann wrote:
I have an effect called "My Favorite Rope Trick". I did a search, and though I didn't look at every single post, I did not see it, but it sounds suspiciously like another rope effect mentioned here often.

Anyone know of MFRT going by another name?

I'm pretty sure My Favorite Rope Trick is just the Professor's Nightmare only with a different name. Sorry if I am not correct.
Just my 2 cents...
Mack Magic Smile
* "May your life be like toliet paper..long and useful."
* "If the shoe fits, get another one just like it."
* "Use the talents you have, for the woods would be a very silent place if only the best birds sang!"
stick
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of stick
PN is good for me and maybe Williams' ring and rope routine with a few minor changes.

Silvano has some nice ideas on cut and restored rope.
martyk
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of martyk
Wow,
A wonderful compendium and guide— Scott's acquaintanceship with yet another area of magic is masterful and impressive. Actually I thought Prof's Nightmare was invented by Sands as part of Sandsational as I recall doing it about 30 years ago for a brief period, unless I have it mixed up with another routine.

I met George in NY (Holden's) I think; he was creative as anything and seemed to literally invent material on his feet. Given a book of matches he went into a whole brief routine usually used for coins of coin penetrating pants pocket. He eagerly "tipped" everything. Later I read about his working the Catskills and it seemed as though he was working very hard to make a living. I knew he was ill, but did not know the ailment; very sad. Sorry he is ill.
Marty Kaplan
copterchris
View Profile
New user
Austin, Texas
96 Posts

Profile of copterchris
For anyone who is interested I have just put Bob Sheet's "Hang 'Em High" up for sale in the "Let's Make a Magic Deal" forum. Unused and unopened.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10881 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Besides Tabary's routines, check out Flip's rope magic video. It's terrific.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Drew from Spotlight
View Profile
Regular user
NJ
124 Posts

Profile of Drew from Spotlight
I use Professor’s Nightmare as an opener in most of my shows. The patter is mine but basically I’m explaining to the audience what magic is and what a magician does. (I perform primarily for children who have never seen live magic). It never fails to get a response from the kids (and most of the parents as well). I’m also working on expanding the routine with 3 Ropes and a Baby.
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2490 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
I'm not big into rope routines but I really enjoy performing Full Circle. Smile
repairman36
View Profile
New user
Tunkhannock, PA
13 Posts

Profile of repairman36
Personally I like the comedy rope escape as per the Mark Wilson course. I use it in all the children's parties and the children seem to enjoy and laugh as well as their parents.

Tony C Smile
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10881 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I haven't had time to read all the posts, but Aldo Colombini has many rope routines and creative ideas; also Italians have to stick together.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
sethbek
View Profile
Regular user
New York
161 Posts

Profile of sethbek
I'm a coin guy but my friend does a rope through body that is just AMAZING. The rope is held by spectators on either side, pulled tight, and he has it pass though his body... his hands a good 10 inches away from his waist on either side. Very good trick. I like it a lot.
Smile Smile Smile
*poof*
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17290 Posts

Profile of joseph
The Professor's Nightmare. Where else can you get a million dollar effect for about $2? You can make a hobby just studying the variations of this thing. (By the way, have you seen James Lewis's version on his tape?) The best rope routine I have seen is the Tabary set of videos. Deadly effect, and a bonus ring and string that will amaze you. The fatter French rope is best to use for this rope routine, and well worth it.
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
stick
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of stick
Proff Nightmare is the best; I've performed this for about 10 years.

Never fails to impress.
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
I would say David Williamson's rope routine with a ring. I just love it. Looks magical...
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
Patriotic Ropes (Rainbow Ropes) is my wife's favorite.

The old version of the Walking Knot where the spectator picks what place to cut is my favorite to watch.

alleycat Smile
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
Themagicquest
View Profile
New user
San Diego, Califorina
57 Posts

Profile of Themagicquest
The best Rope tricks I have ever done have been ones that I have added to like Cut and Restored Rope and Professor's Nightmare. Remember the effect is not what gets the audience going, it is the patter and the skill and time you put into your act. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Best rope tricks (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL