The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » David Blaine Stunt (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
536 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
He's supposed to have a lot more magic this time than on his previous specials. If he does, then I will enjoy the show. I like his magic words, "Look, look, look." Very magical!
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I for one like his shows....

Can't speak about his personality, never met him in person....

I've heard he's a nice guy in real life....

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
It must have been some strange dream I had right?? Was I the only one at "Magic Live" back in 2001??

Don't get me wrong, David has done wonders for our art and I'll watch his show tonight. His stunts do serve a purpose as they did years ago for Houdini.

I do remember seeing Blaine wandering around the last Vegas convention and he took the time to pose with fans and chat. I really don't know what went on the first time around. Many in attendance were so offended that they walked out .. no joke. I stuck it out till the very end ... simply a train wreck.
Steve
Cody Moynihan
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Cody Moynihan
Hey guys
just ran in to this he was accused of cheating
http://news.google.ca/news?client=firefo......ct=title
Cody Moynihan
wcmagician
View Profile
New user
Georgia
45 Posts

Profile of wcmagician
I am really enjoying it!!! A lot of magic...
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
What the hell was that?!?!?

I waited for 2 hours for him to jump attached to a cable? He didn't even touch the target!

BOOOO!!!!!!
-Matt
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4205 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
That was curious.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1794 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
What was that all about?

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1957 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Seriously. Why did I stay awake for this?

I'll second the "BOOOOOO!"
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I want my $5 back. That was a rip off.
-Matt
baggins321
View Profile
Loyal user
United States
221 Posts

Profile of baggins321
Yeah there seems to have been some sort of malfunction?. I'm confused. The host claims that he disappeared into the atmosphere after jumping from the balcony? I think this was to save face. I don't think that we were supposed to know that he was attached to a cable. I only caught the last half of the show but it looked like what they were trying to present was him jumping from a very high height without support of cables. Reminds me of Ashlee Simpson caught lip syncing on Saturday Night Live.

Anyways, what caught my fancy the most was his use of prohibition and the glass exploding effect. I like how he used prohibition to get the cap into the bottle, and how he used something like an exploding lightbulb effect (albeit different method) to break the glass with his mind and get the cap out of the bottle. Good idea!
asianmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
130 Posts

Profile of asianmagic
Back in 2001, DB tried to get into the national magic convention being held in New York City. I was standing by the registration desk, shocked at what I watched. He got very angry that they would not let him in for free. To cheap to fork out the $60 for himself and his ladyfriend. Apparently one of the planner said he would comp DB for two tickets, but something happened. DB was fuming mad. Instead of paying the money, eventually he just walked out and left in a huff.
DanielSteep
View Profile
Inner circle
1409 Posts

Profile of DanielSteep
All I know is yet again DB has wasted two hours of my time on a pointless television special
MagicByUriel
View Profile
Veteran user
Johnathan Townsend has a lot more than
358 Posts

Profile of MagicByUriel
This is what people are saying about the ending:

What people are guessing is that he was supposed to vanish before hitting the ground. Either the lights were supposed to shut for a second, and when the turned on he would be gone. Or he was just supposed to go up really fast, and no one was supposed to notice (?). Over all it was a tech glitch.

Do I believe that? -------> Smile

I thought the entire special was great, but the ending sucked; glitch or no glitch.
"Magic is the only art that the audience wants the performer to screw up" - Daniel Garcia
Laszlo Csizmadi
View Profile
Special user
From Hell
869 Posts

Profile of Laszlo Csizmadi
Quote:
On 2008-09-24 23:32, MagicalOdyssey wrote:
All I know is yet again DB has wasted two hours of my time on a pointless television special

You right. Mine too.
freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
447 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
I'll second the idea that it was probably some sort of glitch. There's no way that THAT was what we were supposed to see. BTW, here in the illusion forum we always talk about originality, so please everyone, don't start folding playing cards like matchbooks (you know you thought of trying Smile
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
881 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
My opinion is that there was about 20 minutes of entertainment value in the show...unmercifully stretched and exended as a network television time-killer. Followed by a climax about as exciting as the contents of Al Capone's vault.

Why must they show him doing the same effect over and over and over? There's another good reason not to repeat an effect for the same audience, apart from avoiding tipping the method... to keep from boring your audience to tears!

I appreciate DB as a person, but not as a performer. I'm certainly no fan of his.
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
I enjoyed it. It was nice how he took some simple effects and how he presented them such as the dissapearing card, etc.

I saw some original stuff but not as exciting as his first few and maybe that's cause I know a LOT more about magic though but my parents seemed to love it.

Nice to see fraud which I was sure would be on since Garcia was the consultant I wonder how long before we hear "Wats that trick with the dollar and the seal moves? How can I learn it?
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
ElwoodBlues
View Profile
New user
Once a free trader on Bestine IV
17 Posts

Profile of ElwoodBlues
Quote:
Why must they show him doing the same effect over and over and over?

So when they start selling the "matchbook card" everyone will want one.

E
MagicByUriel
View Profile
Veteran user
Johnathan Townsend has a lot more than
358 Posts

Profile of MagicByUriel
"Magic is the only art that the audience wants the performer to screw up" - Daniel Garcia
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » David Blaine Stunt (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL