The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Exposure vs The Café (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-09-24 03:53, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Blackmail.

There's one I've not heard before.

Smile

C'mon. Are you telling us you've never seen my avatar before. Smile
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1586 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Quote:
On 2008-09-25 12:09, Dynamike wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-09-24 03:53, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Blackmail.

There's one I've not heard before.

Smile

C'mon. Are you telling us you've never seen my avatar before. Smile

LORL. Now that is funny.
Dixie
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of Dixie
Hi BYUDAD

O.K. with me to put the law in the first place.
However, I hope everybody who argues this way will also realise that in this case he/she can not suggest to stay away from builders who offer copies of illusions which are not protected by law (patents, copyrights).
Because according to law, it is not illegal to offer such copies.
But a good laywer may find it illegal to publicly ask to stay away from such a builder and so endanger the legal business of the builder.

So, what do we do now ? It may not be easy to be consistant Smile
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1586 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Quote:
On 2008-09-26 00:40, Dixie wrote:
Hi BYUDAD

O.K. with me to put the law in the first place.
However, I hope everybody who argues this way will also realise that in this case he/she can not suggest to stay away from builders who offer copies of illusions which are not protected by law (patents, copyrights).
Because according to law, it is not illegal to offer such copies.
But a good laywer may find it illegal to publicly ask to stay away from such a builder and so endanger the legal business of the builder.

So, what do we do now ? It may not be easy to be consistant Smile

WHAT?

Posted: Sep 26, 2008 1:05am
Dixie,

Not sure what you are talking about but if you would like to know I buy only from authorized builders. I have a Konundrum Kube from Jack Murray, a subtrunk and shadow box from Grant Cole, Master Prediction from Doug Malloy, Jumbo Sidekick from George Robinson, Ring in Racketball from Lou Leventhal, Modern art from Doug Tilford. All authorized builders and magic dealers. So what are you saying exactly? You are right building anothers prop is not illegal, it is however unethical. Blackmailing is both illegal and unethical. Not a very good arguement to rationalize something illegal. By the way, I am not a lawyer. I am only a Consultant but know that blackmail is very wrong. I am surprised not more people here feel the same way I do. Maybe the magic community is a shady one after all. I hope this is not the case.

BYUDAD
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
An eye for an eye.

If someone punches me in the face, I will do the same to them.

Fight fire with fire.

It is blackmail, but I LIKE the thinking!
We just have to put on our thinking caps and fine tune it!

Best
ray
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
881 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
I guess not very many here have heard the old expression that two wrongs don't make a right....

Sad, really.
Dixie
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of Dixie
Hi Byudad,
don't get me wrong. I did not accuse you of using rip offs or copies. Sorry if it looked like that.
It is just that I express my generell opinion to the one I am talking to (in this case you).
I am complaining about those who argue with ethics against copies which are legal according to pure law and then argue with law against those who expose.

Either a person sticks to the law or to his/her individual feeling and individual ethics.
That means, if I stick to law, than I can not complain if someone throws his curtain in a similar way like Pendragon (to mention something which is completelly ridiculous from my point of view).
I can not even complain if someone builds an Origami now, because according to law it is no longer protected since a couple of months.
Or I stick to my indivisual ethics and feelings and do not argue with law if someone suggests to paly a little bit tit for tat with MM.

Again, I did NOT refer to you !
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
881 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Dixie-

I am very interested to know to which law specifically you refer that says that Origami is no longer a protected work.
Dixie
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of Dixie
Hi Frank,

there was a long thread in the Café earlier this year where it was clearly shown that since April 2008 (I believe it was April) the legal protection of Origami was over.
I remember that because that was one of these long and boaring discussions like: "Yes, LEGALLY it is no longer protected but ETHICALLY it will be so for ever" etc. etc.
It should be possible to dig it out with a search.

Regards
Richard
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Quote:
On 2008-09-26 02:20, Frank Simpson wrote:
I guess not very many here have heard the old expression that two wrongs don't make a right....

Sad, really.

LOL.. Three rights makes a left!
If someone is doing you wrong like kicking the crap out of your wife or kid, do you just stand there? Why would it be wrong to fight back?

With this thinking we are nothing but sheep to be led to the slaughter.

Sad, really
Dixie
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of Dixie
But 90% of the people ARE sheep.
Why else would they always believe the same promises and vote again and again for the same lousy politicians in each and every country ?
:)
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1586 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Quote:
On 2008-09-27 07:23, Magical Dimensions wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-09-26 02:20, Frank Simpson wrote:

Sad, really.

LOL.. Three rights makes a left!
If someone is doing you wrong like kicking the crap out of your wife or kid, do you just stand there? Why would it be wrong to fight back?

With this thinking we are nothing but sheep to be led to the slaughter.

Sad, really

Someone beating my wife and kids is a lot different than someone telling a secret of magic. I would defend them which legally is called self defense. Blackmail is not considered self defense to the magic community. That is yet another bad arguement for trying to justify an illegal activity. Magicians get so worked up about the whole exposure thing here on the Café. DC, Lance Burton, CA, David Blaine all are quite and they have the resources to stop the MM. I wonder why they don't? It is because they can do nothing legally to stop him and they will not stoop so low as to do/suggest to do anything illegal. Sheep, huh? How many people can you count in this thread that said "I'm in"? Now who are the sheep? I would better discribe them as lemurs rushing behind some hairball idea to jump off the cliff or run straight into the ocean. I hope for the sake of the Café that no one actually thinks this is a good idea and attempts something like that. They will get caught and it will all come back to this thread. Illegal is illegal no matter how you try to rationalize it. Blackmail is a bad idea. Exposure will happen, it is how you rebound from it as to whether your magic career is over or will flourish (when I say you I mean not just you but all as a collective).

BYUDAD

Posted: Sep 27, 2008 12:08pm
Quote:

On 2008-09-27 09:45, Dixie wrote:
But 90% of the people ARE sheep.
Why else would they always believe the same promises and vote again and again for the same lousy politicians in each and every country ?

Or follow some blackmail idea to stop a little thing like exposure.
Dixie
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of Dixie
I think I will withdraw my support for this exposure idea.
Not because I do not like it anymore.
No. I still like it !
But I would not support it anymore, because it would help those who do nothing to help themselves and limit themselves to moan about MM and judge those who are willing to act.

Some people deserve to live with MM.

Hi Magical Dimnsions
Old Donovan Leitch was right with his famous song Donna Donna
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Exposure vs The Café (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL