The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Hopping halves (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

twiztedmusky
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of twiztedmusky
Is this trick hard for a begining coin magician? I don't like scotch and soda for a reason I can't say on here or I will give away the "secret" that ungaffed version I might like, so maybe I'll talk to that guy about it... anyways all imput is grand
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
It's very easy to perform.
The only difficulty is in finding a good routine. The ``what coin is in my hand- you`re wrong`` is not really any good.
Michele
View Profile
Loyal user
Taiwan
294 Posts

Profile of Michele
You can perform it well after a few weeks of practice.
Magicusa
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Magicusa
You will love it.
HiraseMagic
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong
573 Posts

Profile of HiraseMagic
Dear all,

I have problem showing the back of the silver dollar with the sh**l on it. Any suggestions for this?

Thanks.
Hirase Smile
In love with magic!
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3139 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Depends on how far away your audience is. If you are performing in a stage setting, don't worry, they will never notice the s###l, same goes for living room type performance where the lighting isn't all that bright. During the day, outside, I will show both sides, however, I do it rather quickly and non chalantly. Remember to act normal, as far as they are concerned they are normal coins. don't stare at the coins, handle them as though they were just two normal coins. I have never been questioned about the coins, and this is one of my favorite tricks. Also depends on the quality of the gimmicks, stay away from the "cheapie" brands, they do look fake!
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I show both sides of both coins and keep them moving. Nobody has ever noticed, and that includes magicains.

The nature of the clad metal coin on the Half-dollar makes a visual split around the outside of the coin, so with the gimmick in place, as long as you keep it moving, (I do this close up!), it will visually look normal and nobody will call you on it.

If you have been busted for it, consider keeping it moving. And if you just fear being busted, take it out for a walk, and try it on folks until you get busted. Then you can make a change.

I have heard others voice the same concern before they really performed it. And I ask them if they do a Vernet? And they don't, because they think people will see it? They are afraid of the TT, and afraid of this for the same reason, they think people will see it. But just perform it! And you will see that what they see is what you want them to see, if you keep it moving a bit.

I love the Hopping Half, and am now on my third set (lost part of one set, and made the mistake of slipping the other set into my wallet, and bent things when I sat down.)
so at $30-$50 per set (depending on where you get them) you got to know that I love them to pay to keep replacing them.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Is there anything in the hopping half routine you use that could not be accomplished using edge grip to manage coins and a good switch move?
Asking if there is any really 'killer' sequence in a routine that might be worth carrying the coins. -Jonathan
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1591 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
There is a huge price difference in different version of this gimmick. I will apprecitate if someone can lighten me up by giving some suggestion what price range should I get for this one. Besides, which decent on-line magic shop with that price is appreciated too!

You can PM me for that.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
Alex W.
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of Alex W.
Definitely go with the Johnson or Lassen version.

Lassen version: http://hometown.aol.com/klarentz/index.html

Johnson version: Pretty much anywhere, but The Magic Warehouse
http://themagicwarehouse.com/index.html probably has the best on-line selection.
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1280 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
Alex is right, don't buy something cheap, you'll regret it in the long run!
I use the Johnson coins!
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1564 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
You don't necessarily need to use the gaffed version. Mark Jennest has a great routine called "Short Hop" that uses a copper/silver coin.

I use it all the time and it plays great!
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
soh
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of soh
Save the money and buy Bobos book on coin magic and learn to perform a sleight of hand, hopping halves, and yes to all you non soh people it does look as clean as it's counter part (that being the 50 dollar coins you all pay for)
indianajones
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of indianajones
Uh, I was thinking of buying this trick made by Sterling... is there significant difference between this version and the Johnson version? Are Johnson products recommended for all coin magic tricks?
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3139 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Sterling makes some good coins too. If at all possible look at the coins before purchasing (if you're at a local magic shop).

If you are mail ordering, most people recommend Lassen, (high dollar) if you can afford it. I have had some great coins from Sterling and Johnson, and usually Johnson is better. I recently compared Johnson, Sterling, and Sasco in another thread, and in the Hopping Halves the Sterling compared favorably with the Johnson. The price of either is usually around $30.00 (Sterling) to $50.00. (Johnson)

Good Luck!
indianajones
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of indianajones
How are the other Sterling products compared to Johnson? Particularly coin gaffs?
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1648 Posts

Profile of Ross W
The problem with an ungaffed version is that it is done pretty much exactly how a spectator would suspect - i.e. you are adding coins while you are taking them away and so on.

The gaffes enable you to be extremely "clean" in your handling, and anyone who thinks that a sleight version looks as clean as the gaffe version is, I suspect, fooling only one person...

Having said that, the presention, as another poster mentioned, is the tricky bit. I much prefer pretending that I've forgotten the right sequence of moves, rather than the spectator repeatedly getting things wrong.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Hopping halves (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.43 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL