The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Square circle question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mengst
View Profile
New user
Northern CA
74 Posts

Profile of mengst
Should the top of the tube extend above the square? Or is this a non-issue?

Mike Engstrom
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Some do this to prevent a view down into the top when the BA effect is not at it's best.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
mengst
View Profile
New user
Northern CA
74 Posts

Profile of mengst
Oh, that makes sense. I'm glad I asked. Any other tips for someone who's never made one before?

I'm still deciding what will be coming out of it before I nail down the size.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
You can start by making a simple, small, inexpensive one from salvaged "things", and this will give you a good idea of what it all entails. Use the knowledge gained to then make your final product.

I often build them with two adjacent sides with grills, and one corner points to the front. This makes it seem much more open and innocent, and only sharp side angle viewing will betray the secret.

Also, a square-square can be as deceptive as a square circle, and sometimes offers a larger capacity. Tapering the gimmick (smaller at the top) makes setting the squares in place easier.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
When building things like the square circle I always used to build them in cardboard first, really helped getting all aligned as I wanted and sized properly.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
Black velvet on the gimmick and inside of square makes a very nice finish. A bit pricey, but worth it.

Dan
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
It helps if the tube is taller than the square. It does help the angles on the Black Art. If the tube and square is the same height you will notice the angle problems if you are performing this effect on a level ground as the audience. The load may be slightly visible from the top.
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Father Photius

I've also build prototypes out of cardboard first, Pringles tube for the load chamber etc. I found this helped me get the sizes correct, rather than making one for a gold-fish bowl straight away. My first one swallowed every silk I had!! (So I got some 50' streamers.

For the black material I used some art fabric that had a white plastic/paper backing and PVA glue. I found this easier to use than felt or velvet which seemed to always stick to my fingers.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
The height of the g also depends on where the audience views from. If kids sit on the floor and look up they will see through the g project over the top of the square (back side) if you have a balcony the g may need to be lower too. if the audience views straight on then the g should come up to - between the top and bottom of the front opening of the frame on the square.

A different approach is to carry two different tables depending on the venue. One that's a 18 inches high, for the stage (or where the audience is sitting low) and another taller table for parlor shows.
magiquemaker
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of magiquemaker
I think it looks better to extend the tube over the top of the square. Maybe its just asthetics or my personal preference. I think it does have its advantages angle wise though.

John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Square circle question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL