The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Favorite effects from The special (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Daniel White
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Daniel White
Thomas Wayne is incredible.
Daniel White
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Daniel White
The dart board effect was a concept of Gerard's and its method was developed by T. Wayne, myself, and Garcia. It will not be released.
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1920 Posts

Profile of DT3
Where can we get the product David uses in his hair?
palmtreemagic!
View Profile
Loyal user
Everywhere and wherever
261 Posts

Profile of palmtreemagic!
Where can we learn David's work out routine? He looked freakin' huge on the special.
Unleashing the moment of astonishment, one impromptu situation at a time.
fooksau
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of fooksau
Quote:
On 2008-09-28 20:46, Don Theo III wrote:
Where can we get the product David uses in his hair?

Standard magician's wax.
How many Magicians does it take to advertise a trick? Three.. One to steal the trick. One to steal HIS trick. And one to write a good review.
Algebra2
View Profile
Regular user
CA
156 Posts

Profile of Algebra2
Something else that was cool the intro with Lawrence Fishburne. I love those three Matrix movies, very cool touch.
dg magic
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston , TX.
350 Posts

Profile of dg magic
Quote:
On 2008-09-28 14:20, Daniel White wrote:
Thomas Wayne is incredible.

how true that is

Mr. Wayne is a mechanical GENIUS!!!

DG
-Truth is made up of two things... FACT... and the ability to believe it-
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
Since Danny Garcia has chimed in here I want to recognize him, Dan White, and Doug McKenzie. These guys are amazing. I was fortunate enough to spend some time at the Blaine office with these guys and watching them brainstorm and work. They are all truly amazing in their creative abilities. It was a blast but also an eye opener and they work REALLY hard and are extremely dedicated to making the magic on the show be something special.

Tim
Wesker
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of Wesker
Found this if no one mentioned it yet: http://www.murphysmagic.com/site/DIVEDEATH.html
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
I remember when we used to have secrets.

The internet is no longer our friend. Lay people DO google for answers. It's too easy not to. Threads like this makes it even easier.

But as long as the hyenas get fed, they don't care.

Magic secrets . . . sacrificed in the name of selling more product.

It saddens me.

Brad Henderson
sickmagic
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of sickmagic
Quote:
On 2008-10-02 22:27, truthteller wrote:

The internet is no longer our friend. Lay people DO google for answers. It's too easy not to. Threads like this makes it even easier.

It saddens me.

Brad Henderson

I agree 100 percent, this whole lets put out a special and then sell to the masses the tricks that are on the special is just about money and not enhancing the art that I love so much! How sad! Don't get me wrong I realize we need to sell product, but this method is very sad and watching Mr. Tim from Murphy's push everything the way he does on this site is even more disgusting. Nothing against Tim as a person, but the way we have become in this industry I don't see it helping anything. Tim thinks everything is great because Murphy's profits on it, especially when it was on a TV special or if it is one of Murphy's own products. Pretty sad the industry has come to this!

Sickmagic!
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Magic secrets and capitalistic free enterprise don't mix well... However, the mixture/potion would work if ethical principles are comply, just IMHO.
And YES, Thomas Wayne is a GENIUS!!!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-10-12 16:53, sickmagic wrote:

I agree 100 percent, this whole lets put out a special and then sell to the masses the tricks that are on the special is just about money and not enhancing the art that I love so much! How sad! Don't get me wrong I realize we need to sell product, but this method is very sad and watching Mr. Tim from Murphy's push everything the way he does on this site is even more disgusting. Nothing against Tim as a person, but the way we have become in this industry I don't see it helping anything. Tim thinks everything is great because Murphy's profits on it, especially when it was on a TV special or if it is one of Murphy's own products. Pretty sad the industry has come to this!

Sickmagic!

Tim Trono doesn't think everything is great. He sees ALLOT of magic come through his office and he comments on things he feels has merrit. He's a performer, producer and author. So he has experience on what works in the real world and passes it on. You can read about him here: http://www.timtrono.com

Tim doesn't just mention products that Murphy's distributes. He mentions product that he or Murphy's has nothing to do with. He did so here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=218&23

He wants the art to be well represented and dislikes poor products as much as anyone, so he gives a heads up when he sees a good one.

Maybe you should look a little deeper into someone's background and motivation before slamming them with unfounded assumptions!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
sickmagic
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of sickmagic
[/quote]
Maybe you should look a little deeper into someone's background and motivation before slamming them with unfounded assumptions!
[/quote]

Chris, Maybe you should! I am not slamming Tim, I know he loves magic and of course I know who he is and his background! But facts are that on this site, it seems as he only talks about things that Murphy's sells. While Murphy's may not be selling( yet) the new BigBlindMedia DVD they do carry their products. http://www.murphysmagic.com/Rehab-by-Cameron-Francis-DVD
http://www.murphysmagic.com/Omega-Mutati......ncis-DVD

This isn't a bad thing, I am just pointing out that it seems as Tim only promotes on this site things that either Murphy's sells or TV special related products. I don't think it is wrong to promote your business but I would love to see him talk about all the garbage that Murphy's carries as well and I don't see that happening. As I stated it is nothing personal towards Tim, it is the way the industry is moving and personally I hate it and think it is sad. It use to be we had to work hard and study our art, now all we hear is how great this and that is and it is overload. To much material in the magic world and most people won't use a fraction of it.

Sickmagic!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-10-12 17:47, sickmagic wrote:

[/quote]

Chris, Maybe you should!
Sickmagic!
[/quote

I can't look deeper with you because you're anonymous with an ID "sickmagic". lol. I can only go by what you said and you were pretty mean as far as Tim is concerned

You want him to talk about products he doesn't like that Murphy's carries? He's an employee. Just like you are at your job. How far do you think you'd get doing that?
So, he talks about things that come through that he likes.

Is there something Tim said was good that you didn't agree with? Talk about that, but painting him in a poor light the way you did is a bit much.

There has always been a magic retail world. Everyone can harp about how bad it is ( every generation does that ) but if hasn't hurt the fellows that earn a living. Blaine, Burton, Copperfield and guys most of us never heard of, make a living.

When I grew up, there were only books. Video came along and some screamed the art was dying. I've been hearing it's dying since the 1960's.

As my Mom says it is, what it is". You know when it will never be a problem for folks? When they stop watching specials, stay off the internet and just perform. There's guys performing the same act for the last 30 or more years and their bank account hasn't noticed one problem.

sickmagic
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of sickmagic
Quote:
On 2008-10-12 20:03, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-10-12 17:47, sickmagic wrote:

Chris, Maybe you should!
Sickmagic!
[/quote

I can't look deeper with you because you're anonymous with an ID "sickmagic". lol. I can only go by what you said and you were pretty mean as far as Tim is concerned

You want him to talk about products he doesn't like that Murphy's carries? He's an employee. Just like you are at your job. How far do you think you'd get doing that?
So, he talks about things that come through that he likes.

Is there something Tim said was good that you didn't agree with? Talk about that, but painting him in a poor light the way you did is a bit much.

There has always been a magic retail world. Everyone can harp about how bad it is ( every generation does that ) but if hasn't hurt the fellows that earn a living. Blaine, Burton, Copperfield and guys most of us never heard of, make a living.

When I grew up, there were only books. Video came along and some screamed the art was dying. I've been hearing it's dying since the 1960's.

As my Mom says it is, what it is". You know when it will never be a problem for folks? When they stop watching specials, stay off the internet and just perform. There's guys performing the same act for the last 30 or more years and their bank account hasn't noticed one problem.
[/quote]

First off, I am anonymous for a reason and that has no bearing on this conversation. What I said about Tim was not mean spirited and if it came across that way I am truly sorry, however the facts is what I stated and they are true. Tim does work for Murphy's you are right about that, however being honest about products even the bad ones would be better then just talking about all the great ones from a consumers stand point.

As far as my job, I am a full time magician and have performed mostly the same material for the last 20 years like your last comment. I come on the Café just to read in most cases, however I tend to post when I feel strongly about something as I do with this.

As I stated, I didn't mean for it to be mean spirited towards Tim, I guess I just used him as an example because the things I stated are true regarding what I have seen with him as well as in the industry in general. I wish it would go back to just books, but I realize that the times change as well as the industry, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

I can't say I didn't mean the things I said, however I can say that what I said is something that I have noticed and really don't like in our industry. Brotherhood in magic is one sided in that case and I don't care for it.

Once again, I did not mean to come across as mean towards Tim, in fact just the opposite, I know just like all of his he dislikes things, but why not talk about them publicly when he can talk publicly about all the great new products coming out. It just comes across to me as a sales pitch.

Sickmagic!
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1946 Posts

Profile of ted french
I have talked to tim before and I can tell you that he really does enjoy a lot of magic no matter what. I also don't believe sickmagic was saying anything negative about Tim. I think he like myself and many others feel like magic has become something you buy rather than something you create. I try to look at magic the early punk rock scene looked at excessive late 70's rock and roll. Simplify, build up, tear down, seek and destroy. The early punks couldn't afford new guitars or lessons so the result was this completely original totally hard core street music that really stood for something. I think that's where magic needs to go instead of the focus being on the market let it be about the art. BTW keep your eyes on my website and check ot technique Universal Impression, Tears of Blood Download and many other fine products from papercraneproductions.
P3
practice practice perform.
Jason Messina
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of Jason Messina
Quote:

It saddens me.

Brad Henderson

Just curious, but how is the current thread different from this thread where you talk about your own product?
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=110

Welcome to the Hyena Club Mr. Henderson.....

The internet isn't the problem. The ability to access information easily is and has always been good for societies and cultures. It's at the time of change that people can't see it, only in hindsight does this dynamic nature prove to be vital to growth. Otherwise everything stays static and stagnates.

Secrets have been sold to the general public long before this thread and the internet. After all, every new magician was a part of the general public before they became magicians. So I really don't understand the sentiment from a logical point of view. Of course I would prefer if magic secrets weren't as easy to come across as they are today, but that ain't reality.

Everyone wants new magic, they just want only 10 copies of it in existence. Well, tough, that's not how it works. If it's good, it will sell lots and lots of units. And more people will know how to do the trick. And you know what I say to that? I say so what? If someone sees me doing some magic and goes online with the sole purpose of finding out HOW I did the trick, then I have failed. I have presented a puzzle and not magic.

As a matter of fact, when coming up with presentations these days, I use that as my guiding force. How can I make this entertaining EVEN IF THEY KNEW HOW IT WAS DONE....lots of performed magic suffers from having the secret be the only thing entertaining about the trick. There is a whole other dimension to performing that isn't usually explained on a half hour DVD that explains a few tricks. But that is another conversation.

We still have secrets, regardless of the internet, but now is the time where we must really learn to adapt or die. If we suck as performers and the only thing we're hanging on to is the secret, people will find them out. And then we have nothing. But if the secret is only part of the performance, the presentation, then there really isn't anything to worry about. This, of course, changes the whole game. Magic can no longer be a way to boost up egos or prove that we're special. It has to go the direction of shared experience. When you're along for the ride like everyone else nobody cares how you done it. Which, incidentally, may be why David Blaine has taken a liking to the stunts. They are very much a shared experience for the people who come to visit him.

Just my nickels worth (for now Smile ),
Jason
sickmagic
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of sickmagic
Quote:
On 2008-10-12 20:54, ted french wrote:
I have talked to tim before and I can tell you that he really does enjoy a lot of magic no matter what. I also don't believe sickmagic was saying anything negative about Tim. I think he like myself and many others feel like magic has become something you buy rather than something you create. I try to look at magic the early punk rock scene looked at excessive late 70's rock and roll. Simplify, build up, tear down, seek and destroy. The early punks couldn't afford new guitars or lessons so the result was this completely original totally hard core street music that really stood for something. I think that's where magic needs to go instead of the focus being on the market let it be about the art. BTW keep your eyes on my website and check ot technique Universal Impression, Tears of Blood Download and many other fine products from papercraneproductions.

Agree and thank you for saying my thoughts better than me LOL.

LOL love the website!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-10-12 20:56, Jason Messina wrote:
Quote:

It saddens me.

Brad Henderson

Just curious, but how is the current thread different from this thread where you talk about your own product?
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=110

Welcome to the Hyena Club Mr. Henderson.....

Priceless!

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Favorite effects from The special (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL