The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Who's Buying All This Stuff?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
I couldn't help but notice many of the illusions recently listed on the Magic Auction sold tonight. As we all know magic is not on an upswing at the moment, so my question is .. who's purchasing these illusions and what for??

As far as I know many illusionist have been selling off many of their props, some have dropped out of the business all together.

Does anyone have a clue what's going on??

Steve
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
STeve,

I know there was a guy on here not long ago looking to purchase anything he could get his hands on. I think his name on here is something like "NVmagicfreak" or something similar. He was taking a lot of heat as he mentioned he was assembling several semi-truck loads of magic...

Would love to find out what that's all about!

-Bryan
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1586 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Who cares! Maybe he recieved an inheritance or something of the like and wants to live the dream of becoming an illusionist. This last year alone I have bought 12 illusions, does that make me the Masked Magician? No I just feel upon some money and wanted to get those illusions for some time. We are a very suspicious group of people. We think that the MM is everywhere. Besides the exposure thing, it only hurts you or better yet you should only worry about it if you have a weak performance. The secret is in the performance. Poor NVmagicfreak or whoever is buying stuff. Do we even know it is one person? I think that we are putting the cart in front of the horse here and jumping to unfounded conclusions.

Even if every magic shop, builder or whatever banned the MM he would find a way to get his hands on some illusions. Why waste anymore time being afraid that every time someone buys something magic it is him.

Just my opinion,
BYUDAD
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Slow down .. I'm not talking about the "Masked Moron" buying up props. I'm just saying the entertainment industry in general is hurting. The big shows just aren't out there anymore. I'm just curious who's buying up all these props??

Sure it's great that things are changing hands and someone is getting a return on their investment. Although I don't thing things are selling for top dollar ... in fact now is the best time to buy if you have the money.

With that said .. who's out there doing a big show?? They are few and far between. There nothing going on out here in Chicago .. I can tell you that much.

Steve
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1586 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Steve,

I am sorry to come off like a bull in a china store but I just think that the magic community is very paranoid nowadays, and it is just a little frustrating to see this in thread after thread. I assumed this was one of them.

BYUDAD
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
728 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
Chezaday, I'm wondering the same thing. I live in Eugene Oregon, which is the 2nd largest city in the state, and it's been at least 3 years, if not more that we have had a large stage style magician come through here. I also snag the Portland papers whenever I can, and it doesen't seem as though anyone is performing up there either. Unless I come across a super deal, I can only afford to buy maybe one illusion in the spring with my tax return money.
Bob.
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Exactly what I'm talking about .. the illusion shows are few and far between. With the high cost of fuel, hotel and not to mention a crew it has become almost impossible to make money on the road.

My good friend Kevin Spencer is about the only one with a traveling show other than Copperfield. Everyone else is sticking close to home .. including myself.

If a show does come to town, go out and show your support .. every little bit helps.

Steve
leoillusion
View Profile
New user
Atlanta GA
96 Posts

Profile of leoillusion
How are The Spencers doing? I have read a few reviews of their show and its up and down. I know they do a traveling show and I wish them the best.
On the other note so far this year I bought 3 grand illusions. And I am looking for more that fit my style, as for working in the states, I don't know I have good steady work outside the US
Leo
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Hey Steve,

Is there a broad perception that there is a slow down in the business? Perhaps it is more of a localized or territorial thing.

We are coming off of one of our best quarters ever and have purchased 5 new stage illusions and many smaller effects this year (none off of the Magic Auction, not that there's anything wrong with MA).

I recently did 7 or 8 theatre shows with another magician on the bill and he just bought about 15 grand in illusions in the last couple of weeks.

So maybe it all depends are where you live and work?
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
I know there are a few bigger illusion shows coming through Northern California, Oregon, Washington, and Idaho such as; Aaron Radatz, The Spencers, and Dave Womach... It seems like the combination of unreasonable gas prices and people hurting financially (making them unwilling to buy tickets to these shows), has lead to a decline is grand scale illusion shows.

If your show packs into the trunk of a rental car then you are ahead of the game these days!

Just my observation.

-Bryan
briansmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
507 Posts

Profile of briansmagic
RJE:

If you bought 15 illusions, surely one more couldn't hurt. Wanna buy my Osmosis for sale?? Smile
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Hehehe Brian, It was only 5 illusions and this early in the morning I don't even know what an Osmosis is.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Isn't it a breakfast drink made with champagne and orange juice????

LOL

(Only kidding!!)

B
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Heck! Give me 3 of those!!!!!
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Brian,

What is Osmosis?
briansmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
507 Posts

Profile of briansmagic
RJE,

It is the Steinmeyer illusion where there is a large open box with scrim walls -- front and back. The magician leans against an upright board within the box and appears to vanish into his body...or appear, whatever you want to do with it. If you're interested send me your email address and I"ll send you photos....

B
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Hi Brian,

Got the pic's. Thanks.

Gonna pass. Looks good, but I don't want to lug around an illusion that weighs that much.
leoillusion
View Profile
New user
Atlanta GA
96 Posts

Profile of leoillusion
RJE, just curious what 5 illusions did you get? Osmosis is a nice illusion, I have the standard version.
Leo
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Who's Buying All This Stuff?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL