The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Type of indian rope routine help... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1414 Posts

Profile of MDantes
Hey Ya'll...

I work in a restaurant that is a latin jazz tapas type restaurant. There is a band that plays some different music. One of there is songs os a type of flute I am wanting to do a type of Indian rope routine with...

is there any way to while he is playing to either have a piece of rope on the ground to start rising up?

Or rise from a basket?

I do not need any small children to have to climb it and rain body parts or anything...

I was wanting the rope to rise up and then maybe fall when he stopped playing...

I would appreciate the help...

MD
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
There is a commercial rope rise available, mechanical and in the $200 range or so.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1414 Posts

Profile of MDantes
That's for the reply

Where can I find this?
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5354 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I’m assuming that this particular routine/trick isn’t for table-hopping. I am also assuming that you’ll probably be standing on the dance floor performing. If so this is a very easy and low teck kind of thing to do. All you need is a length of soft rope (magician’s rope), a length of solder wire, and some black thread. You can start (and finish) with the rope coiled, uncoil it, hold it away from the body, and have it slowly rise well above your hand (and head for that matter), it will then stand erect between your two hands (the bottom coil still on the floor or on a table top) and sway to the music (almost like a dancing cane). It is coiled up and put in the pocket or bag at the end.

I’ve given you enough clues to build this in less than ten minutes.

Just in case you think this is totally unworkable I do have and do use this little bit. It is an old Gene Grant (Phantini) trick from the very early 60’s. Anyone remember “wonder rope”?

I can’t remember who sells the mechanical table. It is Indian made and remote controlled. It is pretty simple and straightforward.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Beautifully made, battery operated and very intricate. I can get you one (slight discount). I did the photo instructions for the guy.
http://magicgoods.com/IndianRopeTrick.htm
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2269 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Harry, yes, I remember the Wonder Rope. Owned and used it years ago. The hook up was very clever. The height to which the rope rose enhanced the over all illusion.
Ten dollars well spent back in the day.

Kotah
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5354 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Kotah, I liked it so much I bought three right off the bat. I used to put on a Nehru jacket and cap, run a tape of me playing a penny whistle (badly), and present it. It always played well. I've built a dozen over the years and have one lying around right now. I will still perform it from time to time. It still costs less than $10.00 to put together today!

Ian, that's the table! It is a clever piece.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I did the instructions and the photos for that table. The stone background is my fireplace. The table was shipped to me without any directions, of course, and I had to assemble and give all the details. There are a lot of parts and intricate assembly and it was the most intricate and precise set of directions I had ever done. There was a master parts photo page that I chroma keyed so that each part would be superimposed on a white background.
The final came out as good as any sears robuck parts list for an applicnace, with every screw detailed.
Then, I actually came up with several alternate routines for the effect. (I wrote several books where I brainstormed a premise). The manfacturer got more than he asked for. I added a card on rope for instance, and predictions that wind up on the rising rope.I hung my top hat on the rope for the picture and if I remember there was a routine using the hat.
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1414 Posts

Profile of MDantes
Hey all.

Thank you very much for the suggestions and help.

Sorry Harry for leaving it so open ended that you had to assume. I have a bad habit of that Smile

No, it is not for hopping tables. And Yes I could be standing on the dance space performing it. I would prefer to be able to walk away once the rope has risen. Or be able to be no where by it, then maybe out of a basket, the rope start to rise.

*edit*

maybe like I am not the one causing the rope to rise, but the musician ( unknowingly) is.

but thank you again for the suggestion.

Magicians, you too... Kotah as well.

thank you.
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1414 Posts

Profile of MDantes
Thanks for the suggestions ya'll...
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Type of indian rope routine help... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL