The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » How to make my own vanishing birdcage (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Joao Miranda
View Profile
Elite user
Portugal
441 Posts

Profile of Joao Miranda
Hello,

I would like to do the vanishing bird cage, so I would like to have some tips, methods and ideas for that.
I have seen the Norm Nielsen, but it is rather expensive.

Any help would be welcome, yet I have a especific question, which is how does the whole thing folds down...

Thanks people!!
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
This is a bit hard to explain. I make many of my own props but, generally speaking, this thing would be a pain to make. It collapses sort of from all directions, so I can not explain it. I think you can find a number of older books that would show a picture and describe it for you. Tommy Wonder has very detailed info in one of his books.
quack
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
Daytona Magic has one for $72 US. I doubt you could build one for that especially if you added in your time.

I've also seen them somewhere for about $50. Can't remember where.
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Ray,
I think he is asking about the Classic Full Size Vanishing Dove Cage. I don't think I have ever seen one close to that cheap.
João, I gotta tell you, I used to own a Nielson Cage and it would be a big pain in da bootie to make. Professional builder or not. Do not bother even trying. Save your money and buy Norm's. If that is too much then buy the Proline model, they build some good stuff. You can find it on Doug Tilford's website.
Good luck!
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
If you are determined, think along the lines of things you have around every day that collapse, or fold up, Umbrellas, Oriental paper lanterns, those fabric and spring wire windshield covers,, perhaps you can create an original item off of those mechanics! Smile
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
RiserMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of RiserMagic
João;
There are several styles of larger vanishing bird cages. The NN style is what most people think of when considering such a cage. His is probably the best; but there are other options.

Owen Magic Supreme used to make a large cage that sat atop a four legged wooden table/base. Jack Hughes describes a different style in one of the Magic World of Jack Hughes books. There is an ultra simple method of making such a cage that is not in print anywhere; but still requires being able to make compound cuts for the "tray" base. If your wood and metal working skills are not rather good, you might seek out a used cage. Someone even sold a broken NN cage last year on ebay. It was an easy rebuild and went cheaply.
Joao Miranda
View Profile
Elite user
Portugal
441 Posts

Profile of Joao Miranda
Thanks a lot for your help.
You all have been great.

Martin, from Martinis magic will help me with this trick. He is a wonderful person.

Regards
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
I am not sure if i would make one. If you are using doves i would fear for their health.

Lee
BryanDreyfus
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of BryanDreyfus
I designed and built one years ago..lost it in a fire. the cage "thinned" out a bit and then did an elevator to the botom floor of hollow tabletop...I used a balloon witha a plug in to release for the vanish.
Balloon caused shrink n sink operation.
I would have to re-draw these plans but would be willing.

let me know

Bryan
Oh sure, I can spell "Antidisestablishmentarianism", but I can't type t-h-e.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » How to make my own vanishing birdcage (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL