The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Multiplying golf balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
35 years ago I bought the original Laurie Ireland Multiplying Golf Balls. They are so old the rubber is rotting. The other day I bought a nice new set. Basically the same, but yellow instead of white. The set is nice but the balls are pretty slippery. Does anyone who does manipulation have a suggestion on how to make them less slick? It is hard to keep them from "popping" out of my fingers when I hold four.
quack
FCpreacher
View Profile
Elite user
PA
439 Posts

Profile of FCpreacher
Are your fingers dry or wet? This works if you don't have sweaty palms. Here are some options:

- that pink stuff at an office supply place (people use it to count money or turn pages). It makes the hands very tacky.
- manipulation fluid that can be bought at magic stores.
- there's a mixture given in Ganson's Routined Manipulation of Glycerine, rose water, and alcohol.
- get a set of Fakini multiplying golf balls.

FC
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
Glasgow, Scotland
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
Go with this option, you will be very happy you did!

(Search 'Fakini' on these boards, there are countless positive comments about them... I've yet to hear a complaint - except the price.)

-Kevin-
Kevin
inidyls
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
315 Posts

Profile of inidyls
Powder?
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I didn't like the yellow ones made by Empire. They're too small to handle well in an adult's hands and won't show up well on stage. The Fakinis are great and the balls are the size of an actual golf ball.
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
Just for the heck of it I purchased a clear "anti-skid" aerosal spray can. It is used for steps, that type of thing. It did a nice job of making these balls feel good. They were not bad before, but the extra "gritty" feel makes them quite easy to keep a hold of.
quack
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
I have a set of the Fakini white billiard balls and they are great. While they are expensive and hard to get, if you ever get a set and work with them you will never want to work with any other types of balls.
Magic_streak
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore
196 Posts

Profile of Magic_streak
Yeah do get a set of Fakini balls if you can afford it. They are the best manipulation balls in the world, very easy to handle and very lasting.
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
825 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
Are white Fakini golf balls still available?

Try the Magic Café link Bunky: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......0&25
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1750 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
I also purchased the Ireland balls around 1971. I also had the 4-ball climax and diminishing ball in the set.

Get the Fakini if you can. IMHO there is no comparison. The Ireland felt too spongy to me and the gimmick at that time really didn't match the balls very well.

If you are serious about performing this classic with golf balls, I believe these are the ones to get.

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1326 Posts

Profile of rmendez
I'm a very big fan of the Empire/Loftus yellow balls but when you first get them they are pretty slick. Try washing them a couple of times with soap and water and then squeezing them dry. This helped me dramatically.
FCpreacher
View Profile
Elite user
PA
439 Posts

Profile of FCpreacher
Which kind of balls were you referring to? The Ireland, the Fakini, or the Empire?

FC
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Multiplying golf balls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL