The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Johnson, Sterling, Sasco, Tango...??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
Being a relative newbie to coin magic, I'm not sure how these various manufacturers rank with regard to the relative quality of their coin gaff products.

From my reading here, I gather that Johnson is widely seen as the best, at least within this general price range (I also realize Johnson may be somewhat more expensive than the others). I also realize that even better grades of product can be had, although that takes us into a much hight price range.

But of the lower range -- Sterling, Sasco, Tango -- how would they rate, relative to Johnson and to each other?

(I'm thinking primarily in terms of the relative merits of various manufacturers' expanded shells, Chinatown halves, 2 copper/1 silver sets, and silver/copper/brass sets.)

Any "buyer's guide" sort of advice would be helpful, and much appreciated. Thanks!
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Johnson and Sterling have very good quality control. Not so impressed with the others.

On thing to remember is that with the exception of shells (go with Johnson, or one of the custom guys) most gaffs shouldn't be looked at closely enough to matter. Contrary to popular opinion you shouldn't pass gaffs out for examination.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I'm partial to Johnson products myself.

Mark. Smile

PS - Welcome to the Café!
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
I agree, if the coins are what you claim them to be; ungaffed and regular, WHY is there a need to prove the obvious ? I personally do not hand props out for examination.
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
I say go with Johnson...

Shawn
Shawn.
jordanl
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of jordanl
I have lots of Johnson products, including some silver, and have never had issue. Johnson is my preference for off the rack.

Sterling makes some things well(e.g. Lethal Tender), but uses copy 20 centavos on some items, which I don't like. Tango has been improving in quality, I have a quarter sized CSB form them that is made well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Johnson, Sterling, Sasco, Tango...??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL