The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Coins of Ishtar (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

karnak
View Profile
Elite user
Colorado
474 Posts

Profile of karnak
I've run across a routine known as "The Coins of Ishtar," by Jules de Barros (hope I spelled that correctly -- don't have the book in front of me).

It's kind of a "coins across" effect with three copper and three silver coins. Anyone familiar with this routine? Anyone do it? If so, how well is it received?

Any thoughts regarding this one? (Impressive, interesting, or unremarkable?) Just interested in opinions or consensus regarding it....
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1233 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
I think it is a strong routine. It is very clean, deceptive, and natural. Also, it is a routine that can be worked into a set of coin effects smoothly. I really like the effect.

BTW, the name is Jules DeBarros (no space between "De" and "Barros")

I think the book has some novel ideas.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2693 Posts

Profile of sethb
This is an oldie but a goodie. It also includes a very good sleight for showing BOTH sides of a pair of C/S coins, based on the old "Two Card Monte" move. Very clever, and I don't believe I've seen it anywhere else.

Hank Lee used to carry it, but it's not listed there anymore; I'm not sure where it could be obtained now. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Undone
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
54 Posts

Profile of Undone
There's some good information about this in this thread: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=3

I too have found that this routine can get a great reaction.

Undone
CMNeff
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of CMNeff
Dave Neighbors has an excellent Ishtar routine in his newly published book using Todd Lassen's Ultimate Wild Coins. See earlier posts from Dave if interested in ordering.
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
The problem as I saw then and I still see it, is this...there is no ending to the effect as written. I did work out an ending that was both in the spectators hands AND switched out the gaffs so you are left clean. I am sure others have worked out a similiar handling. It has always received nice reactions from real audiences once I figured out how to relay the effect to them.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4753 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
My handleing ends with I pick the last two coins off the table ( one in each hand)
And they visably change places! Smile Then for the clean up as I hand hand then to the spectator they vanish and reappear under the coin purse!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
I would like to see that ending David.

After going through the book after reading this thread I discovered many things in it that I had either forgotten or glossed over in the way of approaching misdirection from a psychological stand point. There is a lot of excellent insight in this book.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4753 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hi JTW,
Yea I don't have any way of putting it on video. So I can't put it on line right now! I will work on it! But it might be a while!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
One of the very nice sleights in Jules DeBarros's book is the display back and front of two C/S coins.

There are also a few neat plots in the book.

All of it is really simple in technical terms but you better have a table available for performing.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Coins of Ishtar (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL