The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Multiple Out Method (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Yarosko
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Steve Yarosko
I am not as well read on the subject of mentalism as I am in other areas of magic. I would like to develop a routine which would be performed close-up and involves a give away object. I would like to predict which give away someone would pick. By looking at my avatar, you can probably "predict" what kind of giveaway I am talking about. I want them to have a free choice, so I am thinking a Multiple Out would be the best way to accomplish this. I can think of a few ways to do this, but I thought I would ask the experts to point me to a source that would probably have a better method than my feeble knowledge of the area has developed. Ideally the method would allow me to "predict" six or seven choices as depicted as pictures on a card. I appreciate any input.

Thanks in advance,
Steve Yarosko
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
I think we all can pitch in in the quest for this in the +50 messages areas when you are admitted. Is it possible you need a pateo force rather than an out?
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
If it's fun, light hearted and possibly for children then pateo does seem like good idea
wordSMITH
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of wordSMITH
I've always found PATEO to be a fantastic method: it fuels one of my favourite routines involving a freestyle between experimental psychology, PATEO and equivoque. It feels wonderfully organic (and the final production of a taxidermy Green Chafer Beetle suits this feel perfectly)!

Nonetheless, I do have a question relating to Multiple Outs: are these ever viable at essentially a trade-show type of event. This week it's the Freshers' Bunfight at my university, where we attempt to draw as many members into our societies as possible. There are a couple of MO routines that I'd love to use (I'm a big fan of your Scissors Paper Stone, Bev; I'd want the directness of Paul Brook's "Deuterium" from The Alchemical Tools), but I am worried that there might be some people wandering past a couple of times (although it's not something I noticed last year) and inadvertently sniffing out the method.

Does anyone have any experience operating these types of effects at these types of venues? I don't think that they're a complete no go, but likewise I don't necessarily want to have to restrict them to one shot each. These routines have killed for me when I've sparingly used them in walk around.

Or am I being too cautious? There are well over five-hundred societies, and a five hour slot for a lot of people. I expect a lot of turnover, and as such would enjoy something I can use very regularly - possibly every two or three effects in a rotation.
Steve Yarosko
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Steve Yarosko
Thanks everyone so far on your input. I am open to other methods instead of a multiple out, but I really do not want to force the choice on the spectator. If they really want a bunny instead of a frog, I don't want to force them to take the frog. I do plan on using this for both adults and younger children. In my limited knowledge, a multiple out would be the best method. I am looking for a method or a prop that is practical to achieve this in a close up setting. I tried doing a search for "multiple out" on the Magic Café, but there were way too many hits that had nothing to do with what I was looking for. If you have a suggestion and can point me in the right direction, I would be very thankful.

Steve
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Each animal has a piece of string like a name tag around it's neck

the one they pick is the one whose name tag says 'pick me'

of course, you cheat

but it's easier to switch a tag than a ballon animal

also

look up Larry Becker's effect 'Snakes Alive' and do the whole routine in reverse and predict which one YOU are left with when everyone else has chosen one (you are left with the only one with 50 quid / bucks actually inside the ballon)

the thing to remember is that after 4, multiple outs can get a bit messy and sometimes building up the tension of a choice of only 4 can be better than 5 or more anyway i.e. ask them if they want to change their mind a lot / offer to swap balloons around etc
Rocketeer
View Profile
Special user
Westchester, NY
965 Posts

Profile of Rocketeer
You want to make the selection seem somehow magical and you want the person to get the balloon animal s/he really wants.

Explain that the selection will be random. Matter of factly ask which one they're hoping for. Then force the one they want. There are a jillion ways to force one of four or five items.

Just a thought. I've been up all night.
I'm selling my hardcover autographed limited edition copy of Jerome Finley's "Thought Veil"

PM me for info.
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1394 Posts

Profile of Piers
I think whatever method you use, YOU have to believe in it, AND know it.
If you fumble, people start to think ...

Must admit the general idea is not really 'my cup of tea', as we say.

Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2021!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Multiple Out Method (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL